Page 3 of 10
Quote by Zaphikh
fix'd

I hope, you are satisfied.

The post now has my stamp of approval.

Congratulations on your excellent tribute.

Carry on.
Quote by punker_7970
I always get asked the "can you sweep?" question, as if that is the only impressive technique one can execute on the guitar.
Really? No one at my school knows any guitar techniques... except hammer-ons and pull-offs.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
"Do you know any 50 Cent songs?"
"Do you play electric or acoustic?"
"Do you know 'insert song here'? What, you don't? Wow you must suck, you should really learn it if you want to be good."

This is my favourite one, in reference to me tapping during part of a Protest the Hero song -

"What are you doing with your right hand? It's not supposed to touch the strings, you should find a way to play those notes with your left hand, it's incorrect if you're using your right hand."
Old person - "can you play free bird? PLAY FREE BIRD!"

Me - "F*** YOU OLD MAN!"
my friend (who also plays guitar) asked me "if i can play fast yet" apparently he meant sweep picking
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
Quote by profmcnasty
Old person - "can you play free bird? PLAY FREE BIRD!"

Me - "F*** YOU OLD MAN!"

"I bet you can't play *incredibly easy blink-182 or some pop punk band's song*!"

Then I play it to them.

Then they think I'm some sort of god.
This thread is fail. I can promise you half this **** never happened. The only realistic questions in this entire damn post are 'do you play acoustic or electric' and 'can you play 'x' song'.

...but continue with your war stories, kids. it's a fun read.
I know a kid in grade 9 who's admittedly not too bad, prolly been playing for a few years, I've played for almost a year, and i'm just kind of chilling playing along with my acoustic with my bud on piano. I was doing like chords, easy stuff, whatever. He then comes into our band room, plugs in his amp, plays some random metal solo and he's like "lets jam". I gave him the blank, "eff off" stare. He was just being a jackass, like I should be able to shred and know every metallica/metal band solo there is in existance. I then proceeded to leave as his amp pwned my guitar in volume.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by drunkass
Why do you have so many guitars?

This.

Jesus christ, can't a guy like a variety of guitars?

Four Year Strong Plays in D Standard. Not Drop D.
Quote by Ed Hunter

I just slapped the computer screen with my dick because of this thread.
Quote by chaoticfables
"I bet you can't play *incredibly easy blink-182 or some pop punk band's song*!"

Then I play it to them.

Then they think I'm some sort of god.

Haha this happens soo much to me, the other day this chick was like "Can you play that song: Never enough by three days grace, its super heavy." I looked at the tab and learnt it in 5 minutes, she practicly worships me haha.

Also i have something that pisses my off that people say when they see me play for the first time: "Play some solo's, if you cant' play any fast solo's with tapping and sweeps then you fail at guitar.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
Last edited by Drift king77 at Oct 7, 2009,
People always ask me to teach them and then I say sure and they never pursue it.

EDIT: Acoustic or Electric is a valid question. They're not the same, at all. It's like the difference between guitar and bass, almost, or cello and violin. They may be tuned the same, but you play them WAY differently. Compare:

Jason Becker: Electric 5th caprice

Dimitris Kotronakis: Acoustic 5th caprice

Same song, entirely different sound, dynamic, playing style, expression, etc. It's also a useful question to gauge your taste in music, a means of asking which you prefer. Heck, if you play both, I'm sure you can say which you play more. Or say you play both equally. It's not that difficulty, guys. Don't be douches because technically an acoustic guitarist can play on an electric.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Oct 7, 2009,
Can you play *insert song title here* ?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
You guys get asked if you can sweep or shred? I never get asked that, wish I did because I could do those things. I get asked to play random pop songs that I've never heard all the time.
"Why do you want another guitar, dont they all just make the same sound?" I then proceed to tell them "Picasso didnt have just one paint brush" Gets them everytime
So do you play acoustic or electric?

(I'm sure 50 people already said this)
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
i frickin hate when people ask the following questions/say the following things:

"How fast can you play?"
"Whats the hardest song you can play?"
"Can you play Through the Fire and Flames?"
"You should learn some Dragonforce"
"My friend has a Gibson Epiphone"
"Can you tap?"
"Can you sweep?"
I couldn't agree more!

Quote by Novalydian
So i was speaking to my friend she she asked me if i could play guitar without looking and i was replied by saying "well.. yeah i guess but i would rather look at my guitar to be more accurate and it helps when playing technical stuff* and then she replied by saying.. well i can play some songs without looking and my friend can as well.

I hate it when people ask these questions! also i hate it when you are not a good guitarist unless you wear your guitar down to your knees, don't look and all you do is sweep!
Yeah she also asked me if i could sweep and said it's the best move ever! as she put it..
and once again i said.. "I'm not a sweeper i can sweep a little but i don't use it a lot" which she replied.. "well my friend can really sweep and he's awesome! bla bla you should learn how to sweep because it'll make yon cool"

I want to rage at her and everyone like her...
seriously RAWR!
sorry rant thread...
i was about to play sad but true and some PRICK came up to me and asked if i could play the solo. i said no and he laughed at me.i so want to break his ****ing legs.
GEAR
metallic red Gear4music metal x guitar
acoustic solutions 50W amp
tuned to D standard
DIME CRYBABY FROM HELL!!!!!!11
Quote by ryand111
sorry

i cum blood

gets me every time
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Unfortunately I can not assist you in your quest of fap.
Quote by thrash metaller
i was about to play sad but true and some PRICK came up to me and asked if i could play the solo. i said no and he laughed at me.i so want to break his ****ing legs.

Uhg you should have, i hate it when people think that solo's are the only skillful thing that you can do with a guitar.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
or when they think that they are better people than you because they can solo and you can't yet.
GEAR
metallic red Gear4music metal x guitar
acoustic solutions 50W amp
tuned to D standard
DIME CRYBABY FROM HELL!!!!!!11
Quote by ryand111
sorry

i cum blood

gets me every time
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Unfortunately I can not assist you in your quest of fap.
One time when I was talking to a friend of mine who wishes to learn to play.
Me: So yeah, hoping to get a new guitar for Christmas.
Him: Wtf? You just got one, don't they all sound the same?
Me: .....No, they are all pretty different.
Him: Ok, so what kind of guitar do you want then?
Me: Probably a Les Paul Studio, they are more affordable then most other Les Paul models.
Him: Wow, I hate them, they look like electric banjos, my Fender Squire is way cooler looking.
Me:
If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.
Someone asked me did they have to use these thingy's (pointing to the frets) to play guitar. I just didn't answer. This person is technically not mentally impared (though he is very stupid) and was 17 when he asked
"Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's raining" - Wrex
I usually get asked to play the fastest thing I can.... so I just melt their faces with an amazing solo.
Quote by Novalydian
So i was speaking to my friend she she asked me if i could play guitar without looking and i was replied by saying "well.. yeah i guess but i would rather look at my guitar to be more accurate and it helps when playing technical stuff* and then she replied by saying.. well i can play some songs without looking and my friend can as well.

Then you obviously haven't built up any muscle memory and they have.
Even worse than the acoustic/electric question:

(fat emo girl at school): 'Do you play lead guitar or rhythm?' Me: -.-
"Can you play us a song?"
"Ok" (I'm unplugged"
"...I can't hear it properly, turn up the volume"
She then reached for the volume knob (clearly marked, so she knew what it was), then turned it up. "I still can't hear it. Isn't this an electric guitar?"
Quote by funkyducky
"Can you play us a song?"
"Ok" (I'm unplugged"
"...I can't hear it properly, turn up the volume"
She then reached for the volume knob (clearly marked, so she knew what it was), then turned it up. "I still can't hear it. Isn't this an electric guitar?"

Quote by Yahto Sun
Even worse than the acoustic/electric question:

(fat emo girl at school): 'Do you play lead guitar or rhythm?' Me: -.-

unless she was referring to actual physical guitars as opposed to styles of playing, i don't see how that's a stupid question.
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
Quote by Snowblind 911
unless she was referring to actual physical guitars as opposed to styles of playing, i don't see how that's a stupid question.

We're supposed to limit ourselves to playing either rhythm or lead?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's a valid question though.

How do you figure?

Perhaps if it hadn't been a MCR fan asking me I wouldn't have facepalmed as much.

Anyway, from now on I'm going to answer 'shred guitar' to this question.
my music teacher last year referred to the two different electric guitars we had as the 'lead' guitar and the 'rhythm' guitar, and when i said there was no difference, she said that it was in the pickups, they both had exactly the same pickups, i later found out she didn't play guitar. Or have a clue what she was on about
OHMYGOSHLOOK its a sig
Quote by Yahto Sun
How do you figure?

Perhaps if it hadn't been a MCR fan asking me I wouldn't have facepalmed as much.

Anyway, from now on I'm going to answer 'shred guitar' to this question.

It's a valid question because, especially in bands, guitarists tend to play more lead guitar than rhythm guitar, vice versa, or even play one over the other exclusively.