I'm having a hard time with it. I have no problem coming up with chord progressions or riffs or solos. My problem is I have about 50 of them in separate guitar pro files and I have no idea how to put them together to make a song. When I try, it sounds totally disjointed (even if I make them all in the same key)... Any suggestions?
Call it a Prog song.
NRANNHLEILR
OETYSI LRNYS
TATOENYSGM
HLENEGMNRA
IL RENRAOET
NYSCOETTAT
GMAATATHLE

To me. Try, you know you want to^

Puberty
Quote by Will Swanson
I was surprised the first time I came. It shot two feet into the air. I couldn't stop laughing.
i usually just write a riff, and then build a song around it. Are you writing lyrics too?
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Get lyrics! Like writing instruments is the best part, but writings a melody with lyrics and just putting it over a rhythem can improve the song so much.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Best thing to do is to keep trying. This is something you can only really learn by doing. See if you can find a couple of parts you've written that are in the same key. Play them together and then try to find something to connect them, even if it is just a strummed chord for 1 bar. Then experiment with other ideas. Also listen to other music and see what the musicians do to connect parts. It doesn't always have to be a guitar part either; another instrument could fill the gap (e.g a drum fill, a keyboard part etc.), sometimes just a well timed break in the music will sound good.

So just keep trying, there isn't a quick fix for this issue.
Quote by Sean-Man
i usually just write a riff, and then build a song around it

this is a good idea. the song is going to sound disjointed if all the riffs were focused on in a different way. try to think of an idea for the song as a whole, think about your motifs and what you're trying to express. and phrasing is big too. most successfully written songs have a call-and-answer phrasing. you say something with one phrase, and then answer it with another (this can create a solid motif to expand upon). try alterations of some of your riffs. maybe play a riff and later on change chords into arpeggios or tremolo the notes, etc...
so i have written a bunch of songs and i the whole song is just chords i was wondering how could i wright i solo or maybe somthing like a lead guitar in the back ground how would i do this
Quote by Xylon701
so i have written a bunch of songs and i the whole song is just chords i was wondering how could i wright i solo or maybe somthing like a lead guitar in the back ground how would i do this

simply harmonize to the chords. for example, if you are soloing over a G major chord, the notes you may wanna center around are G, B, D, F#. you dont have to play all those notes, or just those notes. you can have grace notes as well, simply depending on what you think sounds nice. you dont have to stay in key either. i know a lot of people will take a chord (let's say G major for example) and solo over it using different G scales. a lot of metal solos work this way. the rhythm will play whatever powerchord and the soloist will play a phrygian or dorian scale over it.