ever. just talking guitar here but every time i try to make a song i can only get the intro or like the chorus ect. basically ill just think of a cool riff/section and want to make more to it..never can.. ive tried starting from the beginning and lots of stuff everything i think of just sounds like it doesnt fit or isnt as cool as the other part. im starting to think its because when i learn a song/solo i only learn like one or two parts lol.. also i have been playing for almost 3 years i think so im not a beginner.. HELP?!?!?
Improvise a lot and keep practicing
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
Try writing with other people. Let your ideas bounce off each other, and writing will come very easily.
Maybe start a band with a friend, and write songs together? I find I work best when I have another mind in the room to bounce ideas off of. Give it a try.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
When you make all these riffs and stuff, record em and store em. youll eventually make enough to where you can piece some together. and if they dont sound right together, consider what alot of bands do. tempo changes, overall mood changes, are what can make songs feel alive. You add a bassist, drummer, and vocalist and things that sounds stupid together can be pure gold if you do it right

that help?
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
thanks for all the advice guys. for the record though improvising is almost all i do.. i do jam with friends most the time were just like oh no that doesnt sound right or whatever and i normally dont like my friends riffs and stuff cuz they arent that good.. alot of the times they cant even play my stuff so i cant play it with them.. idk. shouldnt i just be able to write like a 2-3 min song? i mean i know beginners that can do that...
Quote by brandon2784
thanks for all the advice guys. for the record though improvising is almost all i do.. i do jam with friends most the time were just like oh no that doesnt sound right or whatever and i normally dont like my friends riffs and stuff cuz they arent that good.. alot of the times they cant even play my stuff so i cant play it with them.. idk. shouldnt i just be able to write like a 2-3 min song? i mean i know beginners that can do that...

well you could take a riff thats a few seconds long... then copy/paste it a million times. ta da a generic rock song. or be creative and come up with something wonderful. learn yo theory nigga

Quote by GODhimself37
well you could take a riff thats a few seconds long... then copy/paste it a million times. ta da a generic rock song. or be creative and come up with something wonderful. learn yo theory nigga

thing is i hate generic rock.. and if i did do that it would be the best generic rock song ever due to my super awesome rif***e.. and i do know my theory! do i just suck?
Quote by brandon2784
thing is i hate generic rock.. and if i did do that it would be the best generic rock song ever due to my super awesome rif***e.. and i do know my theory! do i just suck?

yes

...seriously though, no. Just keep going. You'll eventually put the pieces together

Quote by brandon2784

Open your mind.

But seriously. If you're thinking of starting a band it will not work if you just tell your band they suck, propably no one wants to play with you.
Quote by nakki
Open your mind.

But seriously. If you're thinking of starting a band it will not work if you just tell your band they suck, propably no one wants to play with you.

no people want to jam, its just i dont want to settle for something that i wouldnt listen to ya know? also i never tell them if i think something is bad cuz i dont want to hurt their feelings or anything so i just try to go with it or try to replace it...
I know exactly how you feel man. I can come up with some pretty awesome stuff but I can never seem to piece it together.

Also, I know how you feel about having friends that aren't as good. Most of my friends aren't as good as me and they think I'm absolutely amazing which is crazy because I've only been playing a year and a half or so. I'm not trying to say I suck, but they make me out to be a god or somethin ( I do get a kick out of it though ). On the other hand, there are some pretty good musicians around here it just seems that a lot of them are lazy as **** and never want to jam or anything. I don't understand it all. I could have an awesome band right now is some select people could just dedicate themselves to it.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else. Playing with other people helps tons because you'll come up with stuff you would have never thought of by yourself. Hopefully, you'll find some people who are as talented as you are in the future. Good Luck.

Too bad we don't live near each other, at least I'm assuming we don't...
Im like that. Whenever I get something I go to my friend and show him my riff because we are like minded musicians. I show him riff, he gets an idea, I get an idea, so on and so forth. after a few days we have a song put together. You just have to find someone that your style works well with. I sucked when I started playing with this dude, but I learned some of his riffs and I got a lot better and started writing more. Don't count someone out because they don't play exactly like you.
Quote by MeltMyFaceOff
I know exactly how you feel man. I can come up with some pretty awesome stuff but I can never seem to piece it together.

Also, I know how you feel about having friends that aren't as good. Most of my friends aren't as good as me and they think I'm absolutely amazing which is crazy because I've only been playing a year and a half or so. I'm not trying to say I suck, but they make me out to be a god or somethin ( I do get a kick out of it though ). On the other hand, there are some pretty good musicians around here it just seems that a lot of them are lazy as **** and never want to jam or anything. I don't understand it all. I could have an awesome band right now is some select people could just dedicate themselves to it.

Anyway, I agree with everyone else. Playing with other people helps tons because you'll come up with stuff you would have never thought of by yourself. Hopefully, you'll find some people who are as talented as you are in the future. Good Luck.

Too bad we don't live near each other, at least I'm assuming we don't...

we dont lol. it would be cool to have some new people to jam with though
Quote by minchew
Im like that. Whenever I get something I go to my friend and show him my riff because we are like minded musicians. I show him riff, he gets an idea, I get an idea, so on and so forth. after a few days we have a song put together. You just have to find someone that your style works well with. I sucked when I started playing with this dude, but I learned some of his riffs and I got a lot better and started writing more. Don't count someone out because they don't play exactly like you.

i do have a friend that i think is pretty good its just we cant come up with stuff that sounds good together it always sounds like a different song or like it needs a transition. we have some sick riffs that sound great but either something doesn't seem cool enough to go before/after it or just doesn't work imo i think some people think im just being a music nazi but i dont want to but out bad materiel.
Last edited by brandon2784 at Oct 16, 2009,
I'm the same way. I make a bunch of stuff that nevers goes together. I record them as well. There is no one to jam with around here, I constantly browse classifieds and stuff like that. I'm not creative enough to just throw a song together, I'm too critical of what I make.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls