Is it okay to take all the strings off at once, and then restring all of them at once? I need to clean my neck, but I don't want to set it up again.
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M
Schecter Stiletto Custom 4

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20

And way too many effects.
If you are going to take all the strings off, make sure you have something on hand that can support the bridge to keep it from completely falling in, because that will seriously screw up the balance between the bridge and the strings. Assuming of course, this is a floating bridge we are talking about here.
Quote by OfficialPressSt
If you are going to take all the strings off, make sure you have something on hand that can support the bridge to keep it from completely falling in, because that will seriously screw up the balance between the bridge and the strings. Assuming of course, this is a floating bridge we are talking about here.

Well, seeing as the topic mentions floyds, and I've never even seen the non floating floyd, I'm assuming yes.

I do it all the time dude, you may have to spend a little time screwing with the springs in the back if you don't block the trem some way before you take the strings off.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
When I clean my fretboard with my floyd, I just keep the old strings on and have them loosened a little.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
get a ruler or something under the floyd's intonation screws, or a wooden block behind the trem's block, so it doesnt sink in the recessing hole, it's very hard to get it out of there.

Quote by Jesstaa
I've never even seen the non floating floyd

I wouldnt call them non-floating, but some guys dont make the recessing on the back so it rests on the body and removing the strings wouldnt be much of a problem in this case. Almost all production guitars have recessing, tho.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Oct 6, 2009,
What do you guys recommend to hold it up that won't mar the finish?
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20

a ruler....but ake shure it's wooden or made of metal because most platic rulers dont handle that much pressure (just try to pull the floyd with your hand to see how much). get some cloth or a small towel under it to avoid damages to the finish.

if you0re getting sometign behind the block, dont worry, because there's no finish there.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

I just stuck a rubber and plastic paintbrush in it. As long as it is kept out of the hole, will it be fine?
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20

I am probably going to have to set it up anyways... Does it really matter if I keep the bridge up then?
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20

Quote by TheTrebleMaker
I am probably going to have to set it up anyways... Does it really matter if I keep the bridge up then?

avoid double posting. use the edit button.
but anyway, the things you placed fine. I reccomend you to do it in this order:
1.- get stuff under bridge
2.- take stringsoff
3.- clean sh*t
4.- get new strings on
5.- tune/sratch strings/tune/repeat
6.- remove sh*t from under the bridge
7.- check if the bridge is leveled with the body. tighten/loosen the springs if not
8.- tune
9.- check intonation and adjust it (you have to loosen the string and move the sadle a bit)
10.- tune again
11.- lock the nut, tune with fine tuners.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

The stuff under the bridge left indentations and flaked off the finish.
Guitars
'89 RG-550
'92 Talman
'08 Les Paul Studio
Parkwood PW320M

Amps
Fender Blues Junior
Kingston Halfstack
Blackheart Little Giant
Acoustic B20