So Ive recently acquired a used Ibanez RGT42FXQM for a rather ridiculous price and Id like to swap out the pickups., having never been a fan of Ibanez's Infinitys.

I wanted to go passive, since this guitar will be replacing the GAX70 I have and I have EMGs in my LTD.

Ive searched the forum for some examples, but nothing quite like what I wanted to know.

I drop tune, lately Ive been playing a lot in C-Standard, it just sounds nice to me.

My question, with my amp, is the JB going to sound muddy? Ive thought about the SD Distortion, but Ive heard that the JB is a better pickup.

Also, how about the D-Activators? Theyre supposed to be hot like actives minus the battery.

I play alot of heavy stuff, from August Burns Red, to The Black Dahlia Murder.

What would be a good neck to pair with these?

Also, having never used a high output passive, is noise a bigger issue? (Would I need to buy a noise-gate?)
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Oct 6, 2009,
hmmm well you might get a small bit of mud outta your vypyr.. not 100% on that but when i play droped tunings on my spider it sounds like @$$.. i would personally get the JB set myself
Quote by MetalGuitarest
hmmm well you might get a small bit of mud outta your vypyr.. not 100% on that but when i play droped tunings on my spider it sounds like @$$.. i would personally get the JB set myself

My amp can handle it, my EMGs sound fine in C-Standard on my LTD with my Vypyr.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
So Ive recently acquired a used Ibanez RGT42FXQM for a rather ridiculous price and Id like to swap out the pickups., having never been a fan of Ibanez's Infinitys.

I wanted to go passive, since this guitar will be replacing the GAX70 I have and I have EMGs in my LTD.

Ive searched the forum for some examples, but nothing quite like what I wanted to know.

I drop tune, lately Ive been playing a lot in C-Standard, it just sounds nice to me.

My question, with my amp, is the JB going to sound muddy? Ive thought about the SD Distortion, but Ive heard that the JB is a better pickup.

Also, how about the D-Activators? Theyre supposed to be hot like actives minus the battery.

I play alot of heavy stuff, from August Burns Red, to The Black Dahlia Murder.

What would be a good neck to pair with these?

Also, having never used a high output passive, is noise a bigger issue? (Would I need to buy a noise-gate?)

I found that the D Activator gives a signature active crunch to the sound... if that's what it means by "sounds active", then yeah. Its a love it or hate it pup, if you like the hard compression of actives, you might find the DA a little too " open" sounding.

If you like the passive openness, the crunch might put you off.

One thing I found tho, the crunch of the DA is sorta of a pup voicing characteristic, not so much due to compression. Yeah I suppose in a way they are somewhat the same thing, but I hear it differently. Its a great pup, but you need to try it.

I think the JB might get a little flubby with drop tunings.

For a metal drop tune guitar, I strongly recommend a DiMarzio D Sonic. Awesome tightness and its sound is very unique so your tone will stand out. The D Sonic was designed for lower tunings.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
I found that the D Activator gives a signature active crunch to the sound... if that's what it means by "sounds active", then yeah. Its a love it or hate it pup, if you like the hard compression of actives, you might find the DA a little too " open" sounding.

If you like the passive openness, the crunch might put you off.

One thing I found tho, the crunch of the DA is sorta of a pup voicing characteristic, not so much due to compression. Yeah I suppose in a way they are somewhat the same thing, but I hear it differently. Its a great pup, but you need to try it.

I think the JB might get a little flubby with drop tunings.

For a metal drop tune guitar, I strongly recommend a DiMarzio D Sonic. Awesome tightness and its sound is very unique so your tone will stand out. The D Sonic was designed for lower tunings.

I'll take a look at the D-Sonic. What would you recommend for a neck pickup?
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
I'll take a look at the D-Sonic. What would you recommend for a neck pickup?

I'm not entirely familiar with the tones of the bands listed.

What I like to do is to have ceramic magnet pups in my bridge (for the crunch) and then an Alnico magnet pup (for the smoothness) in my neck (or at least a very velvety smooth pickup).

I have paired it with a Evolution Neck, as well as a Norton, PAF Pro, PAF Joe and Air Norton. All were good complements.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 6, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
I'm not entirely familiar with the tones of the bands listed.

What I like to do is to have ceramic magnet pups in my bridge (for the crunch) and then an Alnico magnet pup (for the smoothness) in my neck (or at least a very velvety smooth pickup).

I have paired it with a Evolution Neck, as well as a Norton, PAF Pro, PAF Joe and Air Norton. All were good compliments.

I was looking at the Norton and the PAF Pro. I'll figure it out, but thanks for the advice on the bridge.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
I was looking at the Norton and the PAF Pro. I'll figure it out, but thanks for the advice on the bridge.

I personally preferred matching the D Sonic with the Air Norton. Its one of the better combinations around.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

Since I'm interested in a D Sonic as well, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here. I like the D Sonics since they are designed for lower tunings, however, how good is it for more classic stuff (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd) or playing in standard tuning in general?
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Quote by cxrlxscr
Since I'm interested in a D Sonic as well, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here. I like the D Sonics since they are designed for lower tunings, however, how good is it for more classic stuff (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd) or playing in standard tuning in general?

In standard tuning, it's tight. I felt that it was great for standard tunings. It made my guitar sound very responsive. I felt that it was good for darker guitars, or for guitars with tonewoods which absorb frequencies. It made note sound like they were flying right off the fretboard. I liked it in my basswood RG.

For classic rock stuff, I'm not certain. It might be a little too tight and responsive for classic rock. Personally, I associate classic rock with a sparkly and slighty drawling start to notes and chords. I personally think that the D Sonic will be no issue, but the D Sonic has a very unique tonal character. Its hard to describe, but its very upfront and with something of a mid-range hump, so I find that it might not be too suitable for classic rock.

Just my 2cents
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )