Okay, quick question, and this probably belongs in the Gear thread but I'll ask here.

I have some 2x12s Im going to run through my Bugera 333 head. The outside of the cabinets says its peak wattage is 70 watts @ 16 ohms. I was told the cabinets have been modded with better speakers, but Im unsure of the wattage. If the peak wattage is still 70w @ 16 ohms, and considering my amp is 120w, with a switchable impedance, would running that amp into those cabinets blow up the cabinet or the amp? And if possible, how might I avoid this situation short of getting new cabs? (If the 212 doesnt work Ill just run it through some PA speakers.)
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
by not pack them with DYnamite....
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

lol... This makes me laugh but yet somehow Im greatly disappointed. Congratulations. :\
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
If you crank the amp you'll def. blow the cabinet.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Lovecannon - where did you start this thread out in?

you and your threads

well anyway, you need to measure the resistance (impedance) of your 2 cabs with a multimeter like I suggested I think in one of your other threads. You can't guess at this stuff.

If you run 2 - 2x12 that are both 70 watts and 16 ohms (for example) the you will have 140 watts and 8 ohms total. Set amp to 8 ohms. Play. Profit. Hopefully.

You can't just plug a tube amp into PA speakers. It doesn't work that way. Your amp head NEEDs a cabinet and it NEEDs a speaker load. Guitar speakers. Speakers designed to work with guitar frequencies and guitar amp heads.

The only exception would be things like headphone taps and testing equipment which I'm not even going to get into.

you're welcome
My friend runs a 100 watt solid state into the cabs at 8 ohms cranked, doesnt hurt anything.

Would it be possible for me to run the tube amp at 8 ohms? Would that lower the wattage at 16 ohms?

EDIT: just saw the post above me. I only brought one 212 with me from the practice space. How would I go about running that cabinet without blowing it up? And also, the PA speakers should work shouldnt it? They have a driver and a horn, and they are 8 ohms, i think like 300 watts. Are you sure they wouldnt work? Ive seen people run PA speakers with guitar heads, and nothing went wrong
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Oct 6, 2009,
Lol I'd be pretty upset if my brand new amp gets fried from doing something wrong, or the cabs for that matter
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Will running the amp at low volume work? Im not going to be cranking it
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Can anyone at all help me?

Since noone has an answer, could a mod please close this thread/delete it?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Oct 7, 2009,
Yes you can crank it. If one speaker is 70 watts, then the cab is 140 watts altogether if it's a 2x12. If the the 2 speakers together are equaling 70 watts, then you can still use it, I'd just suggest not cranking it. But if you have 2 cabs, then you're fine no matter what.

And do not hook it to a PA...

Edit: I missed where you said the whole cabinet equals 70w. But why worry about that anyway if you have more than one cab?
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 7, 2009,
What are the speakers? Open up the cab, and they should say how many watts they are. If the total wattage of both speakers is higher than your amp wattage, you'll be fine to crank it. Also, for I've amps you MUST match the resistance of the head to the cab. You can also use a multimeter to find out.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I have 2 cabs, but only one with me. That's why I wanted to know if it would hurt anything, I wasnt going to crank it, I only wanted to play at low volumes and test out the amp.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well anyway, you need to measure the resistance (impedance) of your 2 cabs with a multimeter like I suggested I think in one of your other threads. You can't guess at this stuff.
Are you pulling his leg? Maybe I should explain because a misunderstanding like this could result in the voice coils being embedded in the wall opposite the speaker.
Resistance != impedance with AC. A multimeter is measuring DC resistance, not AC impedance. The DC resistance of the wire in a speaker has no direct relationship to the speaker's impedance which is due to it's inductance. You may be able to work it out if you ran a constant sine wave (of a fequency in the middle of the speaker's frequency response) into the speaker and measured the current and voltage and then did the math but it would be faster and simpler to pull the speaker out and look at what was written on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^OK, maybe I should NOT have used the word impedance. I stand corrected.

However, if you put the leads of a multimeter on your speaker cable and set the meter to 20 ohms it will show you the resistance in ohms.

No, I'm not an EE nor an amp tech. Never claimed to be one either.

That reading in ohms you see is only showing the dc resistance of the wire, not the speaker's impedance due to its coil. Those two figures are not related. A coil with low resistance wire can have a high impedance to AC and similarly a coil with high resistance can have a low impedance to AC (well not much more than it's dc resistance anyway). If you have ever measured 8 ohms resistance with a multimeter on an 8 ohm speaker it was a complete coincidence.

PS: I'm a technician by trade (with an associate diploma in EE)

Addendum: actually it's not possible, because the total impedance is it's resistance plus it's reactance (reactance is the term for the ac component of impedance). If it has an 8 ohm resistance it's impedance must be greater than 8 or you are looking at a straight wire
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 7, 2009,
^fair enough.

All I know is that what I suggested is a common way to find the resistance in ohms of something if you are not sure.

Lovecannon was not sure what the total resistance of his cabs were (he has 2 of them). He said the speakers were upgraded. Chances are it would read something close to 4, 8, or 16. I was just trying to give him a simple quick way to check, without opening the cab and getting into something he doesn't understand anyway.

For example, my cab has 2 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for 4 ohms total resistance. When I check the speaker cable with a multimeter, it reads 3.9 every time.

Another example, I have humbucker with a 'output' resistance of 14k. When I put a multimeter on it I get:

So if all of this is just hocus pocus, I'll quit suggesting to people to test that way.

I have a degree in Psychology
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a degree in Psychology

Haha, me too.

I'm kind of doubting that that method is incorrect. I've heard that from a number of trustworthy people.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Your humbucker has a resistance of 14k, that is not it's impedance. Read the addendum in my previous post and the wikipedia link I gave you in my first post. If they aren't clear to you I'll try to find a simpler description of resistance vs reactance for you. This is a common mistake people tend to make, you aren't alone in this misconception.
This link may help you to understand too:
Reactance
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Impedance is dependent on frequency isnt it? As Inductive reactance is 2*pi*freq*inductance, and then impedance is the vectorial sum of the ohmic and reactive resistances in a circuit. If i remember correctly from HS.
So, just for interest sake, where does this impedance value come from?
Your humbucker has a resistance of 14k, that is not it's impedance.
I didn't say my bucker had 14k of impedance.

Honestly, most of this, including your wiki link, are over my head.

I still don't see how measuring a cab with a mulitmeter is going to cause the voice coils of his speaker to blow through the cabinet and into the opposite wall.

Let's just focus on trying to help Lovecannon out in a way that he can understand. K?

If he has 2 cabs that are both rated at 16 ohms then his total resistance/reactance is 8 ohms no?

PS: Welcome to UG
Yes it is dependent on frequency. This is because reactance is proportional to the rate of change of current. Let me explain:
When you apply a voltage to a coil it tries to set up a magnetic field and the coil tries to impeded any change in it's present field by the production of a phenomenon called "back EMF", effectively creating a current in the opposite direction that reduces the overall current flowing.
With ac, as the voltage increases and decreases on successive cycles the coil tries to oppose these changes in it's magnetic field. As the rate of change is the important factor the faster the frequency the greater the rate of change and hence the greater the resistance to the of change, ie a higher reactance.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
If he has 2 cabs that are both rated at 16 ohms then his total resistance/reactance is 8 ohms no?
Yes, two 16 ohm cabinets connected in parallel results in 8 ohms impedance.
(32 if connected in series but he wouldn't be doing that)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes it is dependent on frequency. This is because reactance is proportional to the rate of change of current. Let me explain:
When you apply a voltage to a coil it tries to set up a magnetic field and the coil tries to impeded any change in it's present field by the production of a phenomenon called "back EMF", effectively creating a current in the opposite direction that reduces the overall current flowing.
With ac, as the voltage increases and decreases on successive cycles the coil tries to oppose these changes in it's magnetic field. As the rate of change is the important factor the faster the frequency the greater the rate of change and hence the greater the resistance to the of change, ie a higher reactance.

That actually made sense. Thanks.
Oh and why I said his coils might fly out of their boxes was that if he measured the impedance with a multimeter he would have the wrong values. Really, there is no actual danger because he'd be working on the safe side of things (ie he'd think they were lower impedance than they were) but he would be working with false figures. I was just being colourful.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by O.O Meow O.O

lol, beat me to it. I was going with C4 or semtex, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?