How do you bend an open string? Is it possible? Please help me out!
bend the string behind the nut?

*edit*

press down on the string behind the nut. it will bend it down and raise the pitch. it won't raise it too much, but that's the only way i can think of
Last edited by ozzybob at Oct 6, 2009,
Bend the string behind the nut, there is a Pantera song where the main riff is written using this technique, I've forgotten the name of the song though
it's also done in the beginning of dazed and confused when you bend the harmonics
John 5 and a lot of country guitarist bend behind the nut. If your a Zeppelin fan Page does it in all of my Love. You can also bend behind the nut when tapping or doing hammerons gives you a nice increase in pitch that makes it sound more intense
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
You can also, theoretically, turn your tuning key...won't make any no-string-break guarantees though...
also you can bend the neck of your guitar a tiny, tiny bit by grabbing the headstock and pushing. really works as more of a divebomb than a bend, and you can warp or break your neck...but randy rhoads did it a lot and ive seen slash do it
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
Quote by Xenogis
Bend the string behind the nut, there is a Pantera song where the main riff is written using this technique, I've forgotten the name of the song though

Walk?
You can kinda bend a harmonic too.

Like go and press down a string then hit the harmonic on the 12th fret and move you finger as if you were bending.

I just tried that.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
You can kinda bend a harmonic too.

Like go and press down a string then hit the harmonic on the 12th fret and move you finger as if you were bending.

I just tried that.

This works, because as long as you keep your finger on the node, it won't interfere with the vibration.

Bending behind the nut...
If you have a locking nut, you most likely have a floyd, so... duh.

You can also pull the neck toward you and push it away. I know lowering notes in such a fashion is very slash-esque, but it's cool. Be wary though, because people have been known to break necks doing this.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
umm, have you ever tried playing the same note but on a different string?

for example, if you wanted to bend the high e string just bend the b string at the 5th fret ....

if you wanted to bend the low E you could always drop tune the 6th string down a whole step and then bend it at the 2nd fret.

does that work!?
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
Quote by CleanCanvas
wrong
dime does that bend on the first fret on the low e

Is it not drop tuned to D?
Quote by MechMike
Is it not drop tuned to D?

Actually if you want to be very specific about it Dime tuned to somewhere just below D standard. "E string" being generally terminology for the lowest string on a 6 string guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I take it no one has tried bending behind the bridge? You can't go as far as behind the nut, and it works best on the plain strings, but it's useful during chords, and it's more "local" for the pick hand.
Quote by Eater of ashes
I take it no one has tried bending behind the bridge? You can't go as far as behind the nut, and it works best on the plain strings, but it's useful during chords, and it's more "local" for the pick hand.

I assume your talking about with floating bridges? Paul gilbert does it
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by flea's trumpet
umm, have you ever tried playing the same note but on a different string?

for example, if you wanted to bend the high e string just bend the b string at the 5th fret ....

if you wanted to bend the low E you could always drop tune the 6th string down a whole step and then bend it at the 2nd fret.

does that work!?

This is what I do, I rarley ever bend the open E string though, if I do, I'll just tune it down like a half a step and bend the 1st fret.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
whammy bar, pushing the string behind the nut and neck bending works too, much better for harmonics.
"Been Dazed And Confused For So0 LoNg ItZ n0T Tru3"

Fender LoneStar Strat.
Peavy VYPYR.
Quote by Justin_43130
also you can bend the neck of your guitar a tiny, tiny bit by grabbing the headstock and pushing. really works as more of a divebomb than a bend, and you can warp or break your neck...but randy rhoads did it a lot and ive seen slash do it

If I remember right, apparently he did that, broke a guitar, and it hit him in the face. Whoopsie.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Xenogis

I just tried this on my friend's classical guitar and the string came off the nut and when i tried to push it back the string broke.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by TechnoLp
I assume your talking about with floating bridges? Paul gilbert does it

Actually, I mean a TOM type bridge. Try strumming a chord and just press one of the strings.