I have a spare guitar body laying around in my garage and I've really been wanting to swirl it. All I know about swirling is that it has something to do with paint floating on water in some sort of tub. I can get just about any paint (Have some friends who paint boats,cars, and stuff for a living) but I need help on the process. So if anyone would like to please help me out. BTw i read that one tutorial but its not much help. So to all you guys who no how to do this please post. Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
google
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Don't do it man. You'll get waaay too damn frustrated with figuring out the right paint to use. NOBODY will tell you what to use, or how to thin it... It's a secret trade that's just impossible to figure out on your own, but nobody on the planet is willing to help. Trust me...

I tried for months and came up with this:

It looks cool, but it's just not the swirl that I wanted ya know??? Oh well...

If you do figure it out, PLEASE fill me in!
there are zillions of tuts about it
..look up in google and painting/refinsihing guitar forums...there are dedicated ones but they slip my mind

From memory, which is hazy, you need a massive tub of water, some borax in the water, and a selection of really oily paints of your choice, pre coat the guitar in a flat white, attach a massive 2x4 to the body through the bolt in the neck, then dunk it. then u do the regular refinishing stuff.

^ thats the jist of it
I'm with you metal, everyone talks about the process but how much paint, how much thinner and what brands of paint, no one tells, they just say look at my awesome swirl, i used, some, umm, paint on it.

I tried a bunch of times and ended up spraying the guitar with a hammertone paint after 3 or 4 swirls and sands. lol.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
NOBODY will tell you what to use, or how to thin it... It's a secret trade that's just impossible to figure out on your own, but nobody on the planet is willing to help. Trust me...
Then you are asking the wrong people.

I have tested swirling a few times and the main problem is being able to quantify what works, sometimes you use the same amount of paint and borax and it just looks $hit, its a very variable technique.

I havent got it good enough yet so I havent got any specific measurements of borax and paint so you will have to work that out for yourself, I use quite a lot of borax to get the water nice and saturated, and make sure the water is cold by the time you swirl (a little hot water can be used to dissolve the borax initially).

Follow this tut...

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
ya i posted on jemsite also but those guys aren't any help. I agree with metal. I seriously don't understand y people are so wierd about giving a little help.
(\__/)
The paint is oil liquid paint. Look at my thread, I did a pretty good one.

The paint I used was a Canadian one. Tremclad. I bought 2 small cans. One white and black, worked fine.

Just remember to put some borax in the tub.
Quote by Absent Mind
Then you are asking the wrong people.

I have tested swirling a few times and the main problem is being able to quantify what works, sometimes you use the same amount of paint and borax and it just looks $hit, its a very variable technique.

I havent got it good enough yet so I havent got any specific measurements of borax and paint so you will have to work that out for yourself, I use quite a lot of borax to get the water nice and saturated, and make sure the water is cold by the time you swirl (a little hot water can be used to dissolve the borax initially).

Follow this tut...

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/swirled.htm

This. I've used Testor's brand oil paint (it's a model paint, so it's in little bottles) and it worked great. You just need to experiment and find the right combo of paint and Borax.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by MetalUpYourRear
Don't do it man. You'll get waaay too damn frustrated with figuring out the right paint to use. NOBODY will tell you what to use, or how to thin it... It's a secret trade that's just impossible to figure out on your own, but nobody on the planet is willing to help. Trust me...

I tried for months and came up with this:

Or just use oil paint. Which I used, and it worked fine. Got it from Lowes.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
The only thing I am not certain of is if you need the second color. I am pretty sure you do, I tested a black swirl on a white background without the white paint in the tub and it didn't turn out right. I was wondering if that was an oddity.

I'm pretty sure the swirl itself comes from the two paints swirling together.
Yeah, using just one colour looks odd. Sometimes it does work though. I did a scrap piece of just bluue on white and it worked.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
some people say stuff about using auto paint though. Also what about thinner?
(\__/)
so would auto paint work? Some people talk about having to thin that paint whats that about?
(\__/)