I'm in the market for a new guitar and amp, and I've finally decided on two. Note, I haven't been able to try them out as my local guitar center doesn't have them. But this isn't about the gear.

This is a pretty stupid question, but I need to know: Is it smarter to buy the guitar first and buy an amp that compliments it well, or vice versa?

Thanks for all answers!
It really depends on your needs. If you really hate your tone, get a new amp, if you hate your guitar, get a new guitar. You really have to look at why you're getting new gear. Guitars are for playing, amps are for listening. Decide which is more important to you. I would prefer to have a nice guitar than a nice amp since my hands are touching the guitar. A bad amp isn't terrible, you can still hear what you're playing. It's not going to turn an A into an E. If you play well, it won't be bad at all.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Oct 7, 2009,
Before I could upgrade to a decent amp, I was playing an Am Std Strat through a Frontman 15 for about 4 years.
Although that amp proved to be pretty decent. But, In my opinion, I'd go for a better guitar.
A cheap amp can sound ok, but a bad guitar will always sound AND play bad.
peter

Last edited by GOD on the 7th day
Looking at your rig, I'd get a new guitar. Normally I reccomend a new amp, but to be honest, a spider is perfectly fine for practising, which is all it seems like you aim to do at the moment.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Like a lot of people have mentioned, it depends on what you need.

Personally, I'd spend more on a guitar than an amp. A lot more.

With a good guitar, but crappy amp: you'll feel inspired to play, you'll feel comfortable playing and you'd feel happy with your instrument. An ideal amp tone is something you'll be chasing for the rest of your life.

With a good amp, but crappy guitar: you'll sound good... but playing will be a painful and won't be enjoyable even with an awesome tone.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Or just compromise and get both!

Get a valve junior and a mexican strat or something
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Without knowing what you have for cash it's hard to say. I'd dump the spider for a vibro champ xd and make a move on the guitar as well. So as said earlier, get both.
Spiders are fine for practicing, its just when people say they want to perform with them is when wee get in their faces. Def get a new guitar....that Epi Specials a piece of crap.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10