SO, i took my guitar in a few days ago to get it set up. ive had it for ayear and I just now finally decided to get it set up anyway, when i dropped it off they asked me what tunings i use. i play drop d and c, but mostly drop d.

so, i just said to set it up a full step down (drop c).

was that the correct way to do it? or should I have just asked them to set it for standard tuning (drop d, except for the low e, obviously).

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Drop C is CGCFAD. Drop D is DADGBE.

You said you play drop D more, so you probably should've got them to tune it in E standard. Because from drop C you're going to have to bring everything up a step.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by JagerSlushy
You said you play drop D more, so you probably should've got them to tune it in E standard. Because from drop C you're going to have to bring everything up a step.

Or just capo the 2nd fret
A full stp down is D standard tunning.

You should have told hm drop D tuning if thats what you use most.

E standard - E,A,D,G,B,e
Drop D - D,A,D,G,B,e

D standard - D,G,C,F,A,d
Drop C - C,G,C,F,A,d

Or click this for an extensive list of tunning and their names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_tunings
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by srob7001 at Oct 7, 2009,
why, if you mostly play drop d, would you decide to get them to set it up for a step dowm? >.>...
Quote by shredder408
why, if you mostly play drop d, would you decide to get them to set it up for a step dowm? >.>...

because i figured it would be easier to play a guitar in standard that was set up for a full step, rather than playing a full step down that was set up for standard.

but to the above post, i told them to set it up for a full step down, which is drop d standard. ill just drop the low d whenever i want.

and yes, i know all the tunings and what notes they are, i was just trying to generalize them. (drop is pretty much standard, and drop c is pretty much a full step, except for 1 string on both)

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Last edited by forty6and2 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by forty6and2
because i figured it would be easier to play a guitar in standard that was set up for a full step, rather than playing a full step down that was set up for standard.

but to the above post, i told them to set it up for a full step down, which is drop d standard. ill just drop the low d whenever i want.

and yes, i know all the tunings and what notes they are, i was just trying to generalize them. (drop is pretty much standard, and drop c is pretty much a full step, except for 1 string on both)

A full step down is not called drop d standard. You are combining d standard and drop D.

A drop tunning (drop D, or drop C) only referes to dropping the low sting down.
Where D standard would mean to tune all the strings down 1 step.

If he sets up the guitar to d standard and you then drop the low string down a step you are now in what is called Drop C tunning. Not Drop C standard, just Drop C.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by srob7001 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by srob7001
A full step down is not called drop d standard. You are combining d standard and drop D.

A drop tunning (drop D, or drop C) only referes to dropping the low sting down.
Where D standard would mean to tune all the strings down 1 step.

If he sets up the guitar to d standard and you then drop the low string down a step you are now in what is called Drop C tunning. Not Drop C standard, just Drop C.

yea i know, i just described it poorly. he is setting it up for d standard.

Peavey 6505+

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10