Need to buy something small that sounds good. Don't want/need to break my back running around to rehearsals/workshops/class/ etc etc. Don't care about price as long as it isn't absurd. I have a fender hot rod 4X10 which is OKAY. However, it is heavy as hell and doesn't even sound that great anyway.

Seriously, as long as it has a nice speaker and is tube driven... that is pretty much all I need anyway. I've looked at the mesa F-30 as a possibility but since the line is discontinued, I've scratched that off the list. Was thinking maybe an older, smaller fender? Something with nice cleans so I can push pedals through it, which is pretty much what I'm doing with my fender deville since the distortion sucks for everything other than classic rockish.

Any ideas? Durability, sound, and weight/size are the main factors here. Thanks everyone!
Fender 59 Champ reissue?
Blues Junior?

What styles of music?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Oct 7, 2009,
I would be using this for pretty much everything. Individual practice, small jazz ensemble, and every style of popular music from hip hop to death metal.

I only think this has relevance when it comes to the jazz stuff or the clean sound the amp would have.

I mentioned in the first post that I wanted something with a nice speaker/speaker enclosure and nice cleans because when I want to play something heavier, like metal styles, I have a good foundation which I can push pedals to achieve the desired sound.

I am still considering the Mesa F30, however, I have a slight concern that since the model is discontinued, I could potentially run into serious repair issues since I am obviously going to have to buy one from a third party.

I'll do a little more research. More suggestions please!
And if it wasn't clear... I am looking for something just for rehearsals, practice, and possibly smaller gigs. I have other stuff that is recording or serious gig specific.
Quote by BlaketheHero
I am still considering the Mesa F30, however, I have a slight concern that since the model is discontinued, I could potentially run into serious repair issues since I am obviously going to have to buy one from a third party.

Nope, no problem at all. Parts aren't made specifically for an amp the way they are with cars - so any competent tech can repair any amp without problems. And Boogies are famously solid - it'll be many years before there's any kind of problem. I owned a DC-5 for some time and it was rock solid.
Any thoughts on a vintage silverface champ? And in regards to the reissue and this other silverface champ; is 6 watts even going to be very loud? I mean, I don't need it to sound like 50 watt amp, or even 30 for that matter. I guess I am so used to the volume of 50+ watt amps. 6 sounds so tiny! Of course, I am inexperienced with amps like these.
Quote by BlaketheHero
Any thoughts on a vintage silverface champ? And in regards to the reissue and this other silverface champ; is 6 watts even going to be very loud? I mean, I don't need it to sound like 50 watt amp, or even 30 for that matter. I guess I am so used to the volume of 50+ watt amps. 6 sounds so tiny! Of course, I am inexperienced with amps like these.

Good lord yes. Far too loud to crank in your house, if that's what you mean.
Champs will not do well with lots of distortion because their tiny speakers will crap out.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Have you considered a decent SS or modeler? Seriously, for general all round use for cheap you can't do a lot better than a Line 6 Flextone. They go for so cheap second hand but are very nice amps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I don't mean this offensively, but line 6 and SS are not even an option.

My teacher and mentor suggested I look at vintage Princeton reverbs. I'd be spending a bit more than I like but maybe it isn't a bad idea? Are the fender reissues, like the princeton for example, hand wired like their vintage counterparts?

Any other suggestions? Thanks everyone for your input, it is sincerely appreciated.
Quote by BlaketheHero
I don't mean this offensively, but line 6 and SS are not even an option.

Don't underestimate the Flextone's capabilities. You said you want sounds from hip hop to death metal, well then here you go. You won't be getting such a wide range of tones/effects from a Fender tube amp unless you buy a whole stash of pedals. Besides it's for home practice, it's nicer to have a little combo which gets everything done by itself instead of having the rest of your rig around it.

The flextone's modelling is very good. Try it out for yourself. Don't let that piece of sh*t Line 6 Spider series put you off .
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by CleanCanvas
u guys may condemn me
but dare i say
line6 spider III 15 watt?
or roland 80x cube

Yes, i do condemn you, and no, you dare not say that.
Quote by osXtiger
I cook children who are born out of wedlock on a spit.

CHICAGO BEARS - LA KINGS - USC - BURNLEY FC

GO KINGS!

‎'Senna não morreu, porque os deuses não morrem'

Bruno Senna
There's always the ever popular Blackstar HT-5, every dorm room's favorite low wattage Tube Amp. Tiny terror Combo's are good little amps if you like the sound.

Epi Blues Jr.'s arent bad either, if you have an EQ pedal.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Budda SD 18II .
I think the idea of versatility was taken to the next level. Yes I said I would be playing in many styles, but I don't think that means I need an amp that can model 1500 other amps with other effects. These are not the specifics I am looking for in a small rehearsal amplifier.

I think the best choices or suggestions rather are:

1. Mesa F 30
2. Fender Vintage or Vintage reissue Princeton Reverb
3. Orange Tiny Terror

Anything else?