Hey Guys! I am getting ready to record my first solo album. I will be playing Acoustic guitar, didgeridoo, maybe a few electric guitar leads, and hand percussion and have a friend who will throw a little violin down on a couple tracks and another that plays flute (violin + didgeridoo + flute = amazing combo!!!). Instead of paying someone to record my first album, I decided that I would funnel that money into recording gear, spend some time learning, and hash out my first album myself. I see it as a much better investment in the long run, plus, I will have more time to get creative, have more flexibility and control, and have more fun!!! Here is my proposed setup. Am I missing anything?

Macbook Pro 13" (will buy used)
Logic Studio (probably won't get the new version... go with 8.X... used if possible)
Apogee Duet Audio Interface
MXL 990/991 Mic package
Good pair of studio headphones
Assorted cables and stands

I want my setup to be very small and very portable, as I spend the majority of my time traveling, hence the 13" macbook pro. I have my heart set on the things I have picked after research and figuring out my needs, but I will listen to suggestions if you have any. I am mainly wondering if I am missing anything here that will help me in the recording process.

Thanks!

Jeremy
Ibanez SZ520QM - Transparent Red
-Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge/Coil-Tapped Pearly Gates in the neck
Synsonics Strat Copy with Hotrails Pickup in the bridge
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
PS: I would love suggestions on a good pair of headphones lets say $75 or less (more if need be)

EDIT: How about these?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sony-Pro-MDR7506-Headphones?sku=271056
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Last edited by white99z at Oct 7, 2009,
Condenser mics work on phantom power (48v) which they receive from a mixing desk. So unless i missed something and those mics you're using are USB your going to need a mixing desk to use the condenser.
The apogee unit has phantom power. If I need to get a mixer, however... How about a Peavey PV6. I need small and portable. But... is it really necessary? I do a lot of traveling and would rather not lug around anything thats not necessary. BTW... what is the purpose of a shocke mount for a condensor mic?
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Shock mounts are designed to stop condensers from taking a knock if you bump into the stand as they're fairly fragile. A good knock on a condenser mic will ruin it.
Quote by Wednesday Bass
Shock mounts are designed to stop condensers from taking a knock if you bump into the stand as they're fairly fragile. A good knock on a condenser mic will ruin it.

So it would probably be wise to spring for the shock mount, right?
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
As far as I'm aware, most condenser mics come with shock mounts, and a flight case. However, I'm not sure the MXL pair you're looking into come with shock mounts. I'd say wait till you get the mics then get a set if they don't come with them.
Edit
Vox AC15cc Tube Amp
Vox V847 Wah
Digitech JamMan Looper
Cusack Screamer OD Pedal
Last edited by white99z at Oct 7, 2009,