i was in my local music shop today and even figuring i was on a long shot, i asked if there was any way i could stop my fingers hurting as much when i play, particularly when sliding along the strings and he suggested putting methylated spirit on my fingers and that should stop them hurting as much. can any one vouch for this before i try it myself?
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
You have to be ****ting me. Thats an incredibly stupid idea. Keep playing and the skin will toughen up, there is no quick fix in this case.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Oct 7, 2009,
Considering the industrial uses of methylated spirits as a solvent and even as a fuel (for burners as an example), I don't know if I"d be comfortable using it on my fingers over time.

Frankly, I'd be more inclined to build up callous over time naturally.
I've been told it works, but hey you got nothing to lose, metho makes a great string cleaner
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
I've been told it works, but hey you got nothing to lose, metho makes a great string cleaner

...Your finger tips...

And TS, I would just keep playing, eventually your callouses will build up and you won't feel a thing.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
it drys your skin out. the only way I can see that benefitting is it might make it callous faster, or it might actually serve to make it slightly harder. but you will get hacks more easily.
Quote by jimRH7
it drys your skin out. the only way I can see that benefitting is it might make it callous faster, or it might actually serve to make it slightly harder. but you will get hacks more easily.

Agreed about the drying up part, but what are hacks?
Triathletes do this for the soles of their feet. But given feet are already very tough, i wouldnt recommend it for use on your fingers.
^and they generally don't put their feet in their mouths or eyes. Again, this is considered a toxic substance. From a toxology site reference on using methylated spirits and dealing with contamination

* Avoid contaminating yourself. Wear protective clothing.
Do NOT allow smoking nearby. There may be a risk of fire.
Carry out decontamination in a well-ventilated area, preferably with its own ventilation system.
The patient should remove soiled clothing and wash him/herself if possible.
Put soiled clothing in a sealed container to prevent escape of of volatile substances.
Wash hair and all contaminated skin with liberal amounts of water (preferably warm) and soap.
Pay special attention to skin folds, fingernails and ears.

Do you really want to be putting that on your skin on a regular basis?
I know some classical guitarists who have done this and i also use to do it to my feet, it basically as far as i remember burns everything hard, its sort of painful if you have a cut. Do it if you want a quick fix, but not if you want ever lasting callouses.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
this is not a new idea. i would suggest using a less toxic approach by using salt and vinegar.
as in pickle juice. the salt will promote healing and drying and, i don't know why, but it works. for the pain? take an aspirin. there is always a level of discomfort in building callouses.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Oct 7, 2009,
what is methylated sprit? do you mean mineral spirits or white spirits, or perhaps even varsol?

my hands are in it daily and theyre still there. go for it. it just dries your hand out like crazy, especially if its not "watered" down with oil

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by Tallman
Triathletes do this for the soles of their feet. But given feet are already very tough, i wouldnt recommend it for use on your fingers.

Only triathletes? Not, say, decathletes?
Quote by glenthemann
what is methylated sprit? do you mean mineral spirits or white spirits, or perhaps even varsol?

my hands are in it daily and theyre still there. go for it. it just dries your hand out like crazy, especially if its not "watered" down with oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylated_spirits

There you go.

TS, if you really have to keep playing, maybe start learning how to play with a pick? (*Picks up flame shield*) If you stop playing for a while with your fingers, it might not hurt as much if you go back in, say, an hour or two? Also, this can help you become more versatile, if you don't know how to play with a pick yet. Obviously, this isn't going to help your fretting hand, but there's my two cents.
This is meant to be use in another way but NOT for practice. You can put it on to play say a gig or something just as long as you put it before going on stage and just as quick as you leave the stage take it out.

I dont suggest you doing it, it used to hurt me a lot too, not just hurt, i even got my pinky skin burned in the beggining when doing slides constantly for almost a whole day... But it payed off really good =D I can play for ages and it does not hurt.

Dont ever try considering easy ways out just as a problem arises, okay fixing something is good but using this is not the solution.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Yahto Sun
Agreed about the drying up part, but what are hacks?

uhh, might be a colloquilism, sorry. It's when your skin dries out, and when you bend it, it cracks down to kind of pink-coloured flesh. You've probably had one before, I've got one justnow on my lip.
If your not actively gigging or anything I would just ride it out and let callouses develop, you'll be glad you did later on.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp