Well I've been looking into getting a reverb pedal but aare unsure of which to get?
Highly blues/rock influenced and I'm looking for one that sound good with overdrive aswell as clean and if at all possible with true bypass to stop it sucking tone.

The main ones I've been thinking about are the electro harmonix holy grail and holy grail plus (for that extra control), but have heard that many people have problem with them. Also considering the T-Rex Room Mate as it has a tube so has a nice vintage sound.

Any help with these or any better suggestions much appreciated, cheers.
The T-rex is a great pedal, not just because it has a tube, it's just a damn well designed pedal. It's on the pricey side, but if you can buck up for one, do it.

Other good ones are the Dr. Scientist Radical Red Reverberator and the Malekko Spring Chicken, although that's a bit of a one trick pony.

Don't be afraid of a good buffer, true bypass isn't the end-all be-all tone savior that some would claim... (flame shield up)

Do you have an FX loop to run this through?
Instead of an actual pedal you can also get a good foot-switchable rack unit. I have been using an old Alesis Quadraverb for years and it hasn't missed a beat. It may be an old 16 bit unit but it sound great even by modern standards. I'm yet to hear a pedal sound as good, sp once you learn how to drive it properly. Unbelieavably versatile too, you can edit everything unlike a stompbox. I normally switch it via MIDI from my old Roland GP-8 (another unbreakable unit I've owned since new) but you can also cycle through a selection of patches and/or bypass it via normal footswitches.
You can pick them up second hand now pretty damn cheap and they are a very reliable unit so second hand is a viable option. They sold heaps of them so there is no shortage out there. There are lots of other similar units out there too but the good old quadraverb is a good choice for price vs quality.
I've never noticed it sucking tone but I have never run directly into it, I've always had something before it or had it in the effects loop of my Marshall. It has a 500k input impedance (in mono, 1M per ch in stereo) so I doubt it would cause much trouble anyway.

Just an option you may not have considered.
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 7, 2009,
The Holy Grail dosent have the track record that you would expect. IME the best Reverb units for a good price are as follows....

Spring Chicken
Digitech Hardwire Reverb
Line 6 Verbzilla
Boss FDR-1
Dan Electro Spring King

Some Higher End models that get great reviews...

T-Rex
Reverberator
EHX Cathedral

I have a Verbzilla and love it. It has a love hate relationship here. There can be some tonal issues with it, but I havent noticed any thing that would make me want to get rid of it, yet.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Yeah I've got an FX loop but my experience using it with delay and chorus really didn't make alot of difference, infact it seemed to make the effects seem at a lower setting than when run straight between guitar and amp.
BTW i dont really wanna start delving into rack units yet would rather stick to stopboxes/pedals for now, cheers.
Quote by DomPrice
Yeah I've got an FX loop but my experience using it with delay and chorus really didn't make alot of difference, infact it seemed to make the effects seem at a lower setting than when run straight between guitar and amp..

Can't you adjust the level sent to the loop? There's a control for that on the back of my Marshall. If there isn't one on yours you might find a trimpot inside that will do it. Worth a look.
Theres a wet - dry knob, but it didn't seem to make a vast differnece, although I don't mind trying it again if I can get a decent pedal.
Just checked out the Digitech Hardwire RV7 Reverb and that sound pretty good, plus it has true bypass, anyone tried one?
Quote by DomPrice
Just checked out the Digitech Hardwire RV7 Reverb and that sound pretty good, plus it has true bypass, anyone tried one?

They sound great. reverse Reverb is pretty cool too! I swear I was 1 second away from owning one. Ended up buying a Verbzilla. (Gotta love the waffle'n).

No compliants, youll love it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Personally, I think the T.Rex Roommate is pretty much the best reverb pedal ever made.
Pricey, but well worth it.
trex is nice! I've heard utube clips and it's def a good choice.

I tested out a bunch of em the other day...

the boss rv-3, the holy grail, the holiest grail, the line6 verbzilla, the dano spring king, digitech hardwire rv-7...

my thoughts...
rv-3 is the only one with a gated reverb that I liked at all -and I absolutely love gated verb. the rest of the sounds are 'not so good' tho and it's not true bypass = something to think about.

the holy grail and the holiest grail have one setting that I absolutely fell in love with (hall) - but the rest is 'meh'.

verbzilla is def the cleanest verb I've heard, but those pedals are built like junk. plus crappy buffer. still, it has a ton of great settings... I found a few that I liked anyway.

the digitech hardwire = crap IMO. I like lexicon reverbs, but this thing sounds so sterile. I absolutely hated it. I also doubt very highly that it is ACTUALLY true bypass. so many companies out there have caught on to the idea that true bypass is not a definite term... so they market their relay bypass as true bypass... I could be wrong but if it doesn't have an actual 3pdt switch (or a 2pdt w/o led) then it's not true bypass - it can't be - no mechanical switch to make the connection? either way... this pedal was horid IMO.

the spring king actually has a spring unit inside it! you just can't buck a real spring unit. I like it way more than the verb in my classic 30 and/or my v18. still, no true bypass so... it's def got it's downside.

so I bought both the verbzilla and the spring king... AND I STILL NEED A GATED VERB!

as a side note may want to consider the 'little lanilei', is true bypass and has a real spring and is in the $250 neighborhood.

good luck!
Quote by nightraven
the spring in the danelectro is stupid. it's still a digital reverb which sounds pretty bland. the spring splash feature is neat.

if you're after the spring sound nothing beats the malekko spring chicken

I stand corrected, after some searching the spring king actually uses a pt2399 chip for verb... still sounds pretty nice to my ears.
Also try a Tech 21 RVB boost. Very good reverb pedal.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Holy Grail is hands down the 'prettiest' reverb I've heard. The Hardwire reverb pedal is also great sounding with a tad more flexibility.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
The Holy Grail dosent have the track record that you would expect. IME the best Reverb units for a good price are as follows....

Spring Chicken
Digitech Hardwire Reverb
Line 6 Verbzilla
Boss FDR-1
Dan Electro Spring King

Some Higher End models that get great reviews...

T-Rex
Reverberator
EHX Cathedral

I have a Verbzilla and love it. It has a love hate relationship here. There can be some tonal issues with it, but I havent noticed any thing that would make me want to get rid of it, yet.

+1

This sums up what I was about to post, until I saw that someone had already said it.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Just checked out the Tech 21 RVB boost, sound preety good - what to do people reckon? That or the Digitech RV7?
what would you recommend for reverse reverb capabilities? i'm thinking hardwire. will i want an analog reverb as well?
Look into BYOC's reverb.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.