Page 1 of 2
I've been playing guitar for about 5-6 months now and I'm looking to buy a half stack with a price range of about 600-800 bucks. I was looking on musiciansfriend.com and I found one with a Marshall MG100HFX amp head and a MG412 cabinet for 649.99. Is this a good deal?
They aren't bad amps...if you can find them super cheap used. But I wouldn't pay full price for one...you can get tons better for that money. Whats your MAX budget? Will you go used? What genres do you play? Other gear? Closest major city?
Prepare yourself for all the Blackstar HT5 recommendations and the MG boo-calling to come
Thats the same half stack i have and i like it alot... but it didn't pay that much for it
✠I use emotion for the many and reserve reason for the few
✠Adolf Hitler✠
I payed £220 for my head and cab. They're not bad, Just beware the tube elitist retards that will be all like OMFG NEVA BUY DA MG SERRIIIEEES
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I got that halfstack, recently sold the head and kept the cab. Now I'm looking at the MA heads to replace it.

But yeah, since you're quite new, I'd say it'll do you well for a good while.
thats true people on this site have a habit of saying that anything is bad unless it is a mesa , blackstar , krank and basically anything above an average persons price range .
they dnt take into account the fact that a lot of the lower price range amps will be very good for there price .
i would suggest something differant , i had an mg and didn't like it .
people will say spider 3's are bad but there genuinly not , u can get a huge range of sound out of them and they have lots of features plus i dnt think they are above your price range .
i have a laney lx120rh half stack and its really good for the price .

YES a blackstar would be amazing , but we dont all have the money .

also i would suggest looking for some used stuff , you might find a bargain !
you haven't been playing super long, so what's your need for a half stack?

unless you're gigging already, 100 watts is far too much for bedroom use, and is way more than enough for jamming with others/ a drummer.. so try looking at lower-wattage tube heads instead.

even if you are gigging, thats not a BAD price, but..imo, there's better options out there. even if you still go with a lowe-powered amo, you can mic it at gigs..
yeah man are you gigging? What kind of music do you play, etc? We can find you a great deal if you tell us what your needs/preferences are
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
crap amp for the price
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by syfg91
thats true people on this site have a habit of saying that anything is bad unless it is a mesa , blackstar , krank and basically anything above an average persons price range .
they dnt take into account the fact that a lot of the lower price range amps will be very good for there price .
people will say spider 3's are bad but there genuinly not , u can get a huge range of sound out of them and they have lots of features plus i dnt think they are above your price range .

Not true at all, UG acknowledges many low-budget great amps. The HT-5 is not that expensive at all, so I don't know why you are harping on that.

TS: MGs are pretty much garbage... I've had two. Notice that the only people defending them seem to have them... Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
you absolutely don't need a half stack after 5-6 months of playing, trust me, you are only just beginning your journey and probably don't know enough about amps to merit spending that kind of money (not to mention there is no way you are good enough yet to require a half stack by any means). i would absolutely recommend a good solid state modeling combo like the spider 3 or peavey vypyr at this point. i owned that mg stack for a month or two and it is terrible and i would never recommend it.
"every prince has to slay a few dragons before he meets his princess"
one thing people on this forum, if i can read correctly, are forgetting that for your price range an amazing option is the B52 stack in that price range. it is the hands down best solid state stack i have heard especially for metal. definitely look at that amp before buying anything.

yea nevermind someone said it
Last edited by rockgodman at Oct 7, 2009,
Playing 5-6 months ? Jesus calm down about getting a half stack buddy , at 5-6 months i only had a ****ty 50euro classical guitar , Wait until at least your playing 2 years to get a really good amp , in a few months get a new amp but not a bleedin stack man
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
Yes, it's a decent halfstack, but don't buy it. It's too big if you're not gigging, to loud if you're not gigging and crap if you are gigging and too expensive for the sound it produces.
Quote by tubetime86
Not true at all, UG acknowledges many low-budget great amps. The HT-5 is not that expensive at all, so I don't know why you are harping on that.

TS: MGs are pretty much garbage... I've had two. Notice that the only people defending them seem to have them... Coincidence? I think not.

i didnt say anything about the ht-5 if you read carefully ,

also i said people have a habit of only suggesting more expensive amps , these people having more money , not that ug in general doesnt acknowledge cheaper amps.
AND i never stuck up for the mg i said i HAD one ( i broke it ) and didnt like it !

so please dont quote me with points that aren't true at all .

tah .
just for the record YES mg's are S*!T !!!!!
Quote by rockgodman
one thing people on this forum, if i can read correctly, are forgetting that for your price range an amazing option is the B52 stack in that price range. it is the hands down best solid state stack i have heard especially for metal. definitely look at that amp before buying anything.

yea nevermind someone said it

The B52 I was referring to was the AT series which is a tube amp. The AT60 is $370 and is a hella bargin. The AT100 head is like $450 or something and obviously would still need a cab.

The solid state B52 LS is crap imo. Sorry, it just was.

Personally, I'd get the B52 AT-60 112 or the Peavey Vypyr 60 112. Both are extremely loud and very flexible for the price.
I had an MG when I first started and didn't think it sounded bad at all. Then I got a new amp and I realize how terrible the MG sounds. Here is what I would suggest.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-5W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=483560

and

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=C212E

only 50 over budget...could go used for the cab
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by syfg91
i didnt say anything about the ht-5 if you read carefully ,

also i said people have a habit of only suggesting more expensive amps , these people having more money , not that ug in general doesnt acknowledge cheaper amps.
AND i never stuck up for the mg i said i HAD one ( i broke it ) and didnt like it !

so please dont quote me with points that aren't true at all .

tah .
just for the record YES mg's are S*!T !!!!!

If you read your own post carefully you'd see you talked about Blackstar. The HT-5 is a Blackstar.

And I have rarely seen anyone recommend an amp that was over the TS's budget.
Ok the most money I want to spend is 800$ and I play Metal and some Indie rock. I just happen to have the extra money right now thats why I want to go ahead and get a half stack.
i started out with a spider 3 and that was perfect
i did hear the new mgs were better now
and i played 2 1/2 years before i bought a stack, then traded it in cause i still dont need it even though i play in bands and stuff, its just accesive and harder to move and set up, plus a cabinet has more speakers which generally produces more bass, which is not good for bedroom practicing since you'll disturb anyone at even moderate volume
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
I recommend the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. It's a very good metal combo. All valve and 60 watts. 60 watts are more than you will ever need. Just f**kin loud. It can do other styles of course too.
http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

EDIT: Not available yet? Well, on Thomann you can buy this amp now so im a bit confused. However it would be a good option. Eddie van Hale and In Flames use the Head version i think.
Last edited by PapaSchumpf at Oct 7, 2009,
what makes makes me mad about the mg is they are decent PRACTICE AMPS but imo they should only be practice amps not huge halfstacks because in half stack 100 watt form they sound like pure crap and marshall gets to sell these crap stacks because EVERYONE KNOWS MARSHALL which makes these amps sell and it leads unexperieced players into investing a huge sum of money into a crap stack, I know because I've been there to.
TS if you REALLY want an mg at least get a small practice mg because it will be a big waste of money for you to get a halfstack but with a range like that you can get much better amps.
Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends

........that would be me
Last edited by Supersonic64 at Oct 7, 2009,
^^the 6505 combo is not available until the end of the month

TS: CLOSEST MAJOR CITY??? You will find a lot of decent used gear for that price.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by WtrPlyr
If you read your own post carefully you'd see you talked about Blackstar. The HT-5 is a Blackstar.

i HAVE read my own post carefully , at no point did i mention the ht-5 EVER .
yes i said blackstar but the ht-5 is NOT the only blackstar product im afraid !!!!!

its there in black and white i did not say anything about the ht-5 !!!!!

ever !
Quote by WtrPlyr

He said that people only think amps in the price range of Mesas, Kranks, Blackstars, etc. are good, and that not everyone can afford a Blackstar.

The most likely scenario is that he is talking about a Blackstar Artisan or similar. Not an HT-5.

It's just like if I'm talking about Marshalls, I'm most likely talking about their tube heads. Not an MG.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by al112987
He said that people only think amps in the price range of Mesas, Kranks, Blackstars, etc. are good, and that not everyone can afford a Blackstar.

The most likely scenario is that he is talking about a Blackstar Artisan or similar. Not an HT-5.

It's just like if I'm talking about Marshalls, I'm most likely talking about their tube heads. Not an MG.

Ok, I get it... But I have NEVER seen any Blackstar other than an HT-5 recommended. My point was just that a Blackstar is a budget friendly recommendation...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by syfg91

That's not true. We recommend amps in the TS price range almost always. When you made this post, one person recommended the HT-5, which is in the range.

Not true. My post was a good example.

Agreed.

Spider III's are good practice amps, that's it.

Don't know anything about the LX series but I believe you.

Again, there was only one mention, and it was an HT-5, so this comment doesn't make any sense.

Agreed.

So don't get offended if people try to correct/understand what you are saying. Some of your post was out of context.

PS: Your post was hard to read because you talk like a 6th grader on his cell phone.
Quote by Engel Stein
ummm... Shreveport, LA

Wow...your Craigslist sucks

If Dallas/Ft.Worth isn't too far away, there is a Peavey XXX head on there for $500...the guy has relisted it a few times and still has it so you could probably talk him down. You'll still have to buy a cab for it though. Also a couple of Randall solid state half stacks (still waaaay better than the MG, less money too).

If you change your mind about the half stack...there were a couple of Spider Valves that I came across that are well within your budget. Also a XXX combo and a few B52 combos.
Quote by syfg91
i HAVE read my own post carefully , at no point did i mention the ht-5 EVER .
yes i said blackstar but the ht-5 is NOT the only blackstar product im afraid !!!!!

its there in black and white i did not say anything about the ht-5 !!!!!

ever !

You said Blackstars are above average peoples budget. The HT-5 is not and it's a Blackstar, therefore you are wrong and I am right.

Now let's stop talking about it and help the TS.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So don't get offended if people try to correct/understand what you are saying. Some of your post was out of context.

PS: Your post was hard to read because you talk like a 6th grader on his cell phone.

Thanks 311. That post bugged me too.

TS: I would really recommend you spend more time playing what you have, and saving. We can recommend you a low-budget decent amp, but you will want something better before long. Also, not to be rude, but at 5-6 months it is still somewhat likely you will quit guitar...

Also: Halfstack for bedroom use =
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
Thanks 311. That post bugged me too.

TS: I would really recommend you spend more time playing what you have, and saving. We can recommend you a low-budget decent amp, but you will want something better before long. Also, not to be rude, but at 5-6 months it is still somewhat likely you will quit guitar...

+1

I fully agree with this statement.

Quote by tubetime86
Also: Halfstack for bedroom use =

I use a half stack for bedroom use...

Actually I use two half stacks.

Wait...

I'm not helping things here, am I??

^ I used to use two half stacks too...but my practice area/studio in my house is quite a bit bigger than a bedroom. And I ****ing hate my neighbors anyway
Quote by i_am_metalhead
+1

I fully agree with this statement.

I use a half stack for bedroom use...

Actually I use two half stacks.

Wait...

I'm not helping things here, am I??

Anyway, TS, get a combo, you don't need a halfstack yet... well, to be honest, you never will.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by eyebanez333
And I ****ing hate my neighbors anyway

Lol'd so hard. Lucky you, I get yelled at with a 15Watt SS amp on like 3...
Is a MG halfstack a decent halfstack?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Page 1 of 2