Now I'm not sure how to explain, so I'll put it this way:

E - Far too quiet
A - Far too loud
G - About normal
D - Slightly too quiet

Now I'm no expert in setting up, but I can't see anything wrong at all.
I have a J + P pickup configuration and they seem level to me. My action is pretty much level, and no matter how I have the tone, it's always the same.

My strings are pretty old, but I can't imagine that being the problem, as they're all the same age (except the A, which will be older).

Any help?

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
new pick-ups and new strings should do the trick. but it may be something simpler. could get an eq and boost up certian frequencies, but you've still got that flaw with your clean natural tone.
I suppose an idea would be to raise or lower the pickup depending on if it's too loud or quiet.

I dunno though, I'm not even a bassist, but give it a try.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
adjust the poles on the pickups in order to get the sound around even
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by 6stringbasshred
Are you striking your strings evenly?

Yeah I am

How would I go about changing the height of the poles? Would it involve taking apart the pickup?

I'll have a look into some new pickups and strings (I'll try strings first incase that's the problem, cheaper fix if it is!)

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Before you do anything drastic just trying raising the pickups by loosening the screws that hold them down. Alot of people do this to beef up the sound of their higher strings.
loosen the outside screws and tighten the inside if that makes any sense... aka make your p pickups look like a V
I've already tried changing pickup height but it didn't do anything at all

Quote by MightyAl
ya it's best to let someone who knows what they are doing fix it right. i would never touch the insides nad inner workings of my main basses, i'd be too afraid to do something wrong.
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land