I apologize if im posting this in the wrong forum. My issue is with a jackson electric guitar. I got it from a friend of mine a few months ago, he didnt remember what it was and as far as i can figure out its a dk-2. It has single neck, single mid, and hb bridge pickups, all seymor duncan. my question is about the bridge pickup. it didnt work when i got it, but after searching for wiring diagrams i found that it was hooked up wrong(grounds switched). I resoldered it correctly according to seymor duncans wiring diagrams and it worked for a bit. After a while it stopped working again and upon closer testing i found that it still barely works. I can hear it through the amp if i turn it up very loud, but its very very soft. I also switched the the leads from the neck and bridge pickup on my switch to see if maybe the switch was going. It worked for a bit and then crapped out again. After this test i am assuming that the switch works fine seeing as how the problem follows the pickup and not the switch. So it technicly is still working, but not like it should. Has anyone had problems like this with any seymor duncan humbuckers? And if so, how did you fix it?

Also, the black output wire on the humbucker is thicker than the other, and i found that there is a smaller insulated black wire in that large gauge black wire. whats that all about?
Quote by jpmlax
I resoldered it correctly according to seymor duncans wiring diagrams and it worked for a bit. After a while it stopped working again and upon closer testing i found that it still barely works. I can hear it through the amp if i turn it up very loud, but its very very soft. I also switched the the leads from the neck and bridge pickup on my switch to see if maybe the switch was going. It worked for a bit and then crapped out again. After this test i am assuming that the switch works fine seeing as how the problem follows the pickup and not the switch. So it technicly is still working, but not like it should. Has anyone had problems like this with any seymor duncan humbuckers? And if so, how did you fix it?

Also, the black output wire on the humbucker is thicker than the other, and i found that there is a smaller insulated black wire in that large gauge black wire. whats that all about?

Ok...
* Check the wires, and make SURE you didn't create a short (wires touching).
* Get some contact cleaner, expose the switch so that you can spray the contacts.
* Spray the contacts, on at a time, then rotate the switch a number of times, in order to clean any corrosion or junk that may have compromised your switch.
* Do you have a multimeter (used to check connections, values, etc)? If not, you want to find a luthier and have them check the resistance of the actual pickup itself, by temporarily removing all wires, and checking to see whether the pickup measures the expected value--humbuckers: 3k to 9k depending on model of pickup, or: single coil--1k to 2.5k. This is just a rough check, but if those resistances check properly, the pickup is probably not your problem...reconnect the wires, again checking for possible shorts or opens, then you will have a better idea of what is NOT your problem.

** I suspect, with all the wiring you've done on the car, you might want to have that luthier check for a wiring mistake. Don't sweat it if that is the problem...we've all looked at a re-wire job ten different times, and not seen a mistake!!!

Cheers,
Joey45