If a song has string skipping it makes me slow and thinking. is there any lessons in the lessons section on here that teaches u better technique? Also intro to sweep picking?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
you can try not skipping strings, and just playing the same note on whatever string you were on. for example:

- -----
- -----
- -----
- --5-
- -----
- 7--- is the same as:

- ------
- ------
- ------
- ------
- --10-
- 7----

but if skipping strings is inescapable. you might just wanna start out practicing really slow and speeding up as you get the hang of it
Last edited by Absinthe750mL at Oct 7, 2009,
if you listen to On the shores of Ithaka by Quo Vadis, there are portions in it where there is a lot of string skipping. at about 40 there is a nice string skipping section which sounds awesome, whether played fast or slow... sorry but that was the only song that came to mind.

Also if you look at http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/string_skipping.html

^ that will help you out too!
I play arpeggios as a string skipping warm-up exercise - might help. Don't worry about speed - play as slow as you need to to play it clean, speed will come as your hands get better coordinated: eg A Maj would be
----------------------------5-----9---------------------------------
-------------------5------------------------5-----------------------
-----------6-----------6---------------6-----------6----------------
----7---------7--------------------------------7------------7-------
-------7------------------------------------------------7-----------
-5--------------------------------------------------------------5---
Its worth being able to play it starting on either an upstroke or a downstroke too.
Quote by zhilla
Is that where I stole it from? lol

Nah haha, he asked for string skipping, i just thought Paul Gilbert was a natural answer!
Quote by zhilla
I play arpeggios as a string skipping warm-up exercise - might help. Don't worry about speed - play as slow as you need to to play it clean, speed will come as your hands get better coordinated: eg A Maj would be
Its worth being able to play it starting on either an upstroke or a downstroke too.

ty exactly what i was looking for ty again.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Generally, your technique all around needs to be better than what is needed for playing without string skipping. You need more accuracy, dexterity and flexibility, more finger independance.

There are a couple of more specific things I've found help. Fretting hand - use a little pivot of the wrist to get from one string to the other. This is important - it's hard to make the jump quickly enough if you only move your fingers. Picking hand - use a little bit of elbow to get from one string to the other (picking motion still comes from the wrist). If you use just wrist, you'll wind up at an awkward angle after you make the skip.

That's the technique side of it. To work it into your playing as something that you naturally think of as an option while improvising, there was an exercise I used to do - improvise for 5-10 minutes with a "rule" that I'm only allowed to play on the 1st, 3rd and 5th strings (or 2nd,4th, and 6th). You come up with interesting stuff that you wouldn't otherwise think of.
Last edited by se012101 at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by se012101
Generally, your technique all around needs to be better than what is needed for playing without string skipping. You need more accuracy, dexterity and flexibility, more finger independance.

There are a couple of more specific things I've found help. Fretting hand - use a little pivot of the wrist to get from one string to the other. This is important - it's hard to make the jump quickly enough if you only move your fingers. Picking hand - use a little bit of elbow to get from one string to the other (picking motion still comes from the wrist). If you use just wrist, you'll wind up at an awkward angle after you make the skip.

That's the technique side of it. To work it into your playing as something that you naturally think of as an option while improvising, there was an exercise I used to do - improvise for 5-10 minutes with a "rule" that I'm only allowed to play on the 1st, 3rd and 5th strings (or 2nd,4th, and 6th). You come up with interesting stuff that you wouldn't otherwise think of.

Yeah i concur with this. You NEED to make sure you mute properly also. Muting whilst string-skipping feels a lot different, but it sounds awful if you get it wrong.
Quote by zhilla

Try hybrid picking this also, good exercise for it. Although I assume the string skipping you're trying to work on is with alternate picking but hybrid picking makes some string skips a lot easier so practicing it both ways is a good plan.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Try hybrid picking this also, good exercise for it. Although I assume the string skipping you're trying to work on is with alternate picking but hybrid picking makes some string skips a lot easier so practicing it both ways is a good plan.
Hybrid as in - part pick, part fingerpicking?
Quote by zhilla
Hybrid as in - part pick, part fingerpicking?

yep. I love playing those arps with hybrid picking, you can fly through them.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
so...you'd pick the root on the E and fingerpick the root an octave above it on the D, then pick the 5th on the A and fingerpick the 3rd on the G and so on?
yeah, instead of picking it "up-down-up-down-up-down" you would pick it down-ringfinger-down-ringfinger-down-ringfinger. and reverse it for the way down.
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
I'm currently learning some of the scarified solos as they have alot of string skipping. Although I never really tried to learn this technique until, I really like it. Make sure you find a correct tab though, he string skips, not sweep pick.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by silly6-string
If a song has string skipping it makes me slow and thinking. is there any lessons in the lessons section on here that teaches u better technique? Also intro to sweep picking?

You might not like the band but muse's small print would be good for that. Right after the intro he does and octave shape and string skips all the way down the neck and then back up a bit. repeats throughout the song.