alright so my band is a hardrock/grunge band and we are doing a few nirvana covers

i can pretty much nail most of kurt cobains vocals, its just his screams taht i am having a hard time with does anyone have any tips on trying to scream like kurt cobain and such?
RAW POWER
It's all from his throat, no diaphram/stomach...basically kills your singing after you do it...
My Gear
Modified BC Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
Stagg Acoustic/Electric
Epiphone SG Special(currently being modified)
Line 6 Spider II 120 Watt 4x12 Combo
Boss Overdrive
I play grunge style music and even though I am a girl, I have tried to develop this kind of Cobain style screaming. I have to say though, Kurt screams from the throat...so if you do it too often; it will damage your voice. A lot of Kurt's singing comes from the throat. In his live performances you can hear that, and also you can hear he often over did it and strained his voice.

Be careful.
Singing should NEVER be felt in your throat, even shouting style singing.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Kurt did it. He was a punk rocker at heart, and thus didn't give a **** about anything, including singing technique, or sounding like ****. His voice probably wouldn't have lasted much longer though. If you want to get his style of shout, you have to let your voice go free, and not care about trying to control it and prevent it from cracking. If you're talking about legitimately screaming like he does in in end of "Negative Creep" and "Territorial Pissings," just pull up chest voice and let your voice crack and break and sound like ****. Probably not great for your voice, but you'll sound like him.
^ Nailed it.

He was a great writer, yes. He was a hack guitarist, which I can't help thinking that we all must agree on. Although I love the sound of his voice, he has absolutely NO technique. He just opens his mouth and does what he does.... all from the throat. Like Brian Johnson from AC/DC, as much as it makes him a technically terrible singer, it is most certainly part of the appeal of his voice. I don't think he would have been as successful if he sang properly.

Hell, you listen to him interviewed and he even talks from his throat.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
alright thanks for the help guys, now if anyone has any tips on how to throat sing that would be greatly appreciated... ive looked around and nothing i found helped much
RAW POWER
There's no advice because it isn't advised to do; there really isn't much of a technique to it.... it's quite the opposite, really.
Quote by Cejis33
alright thanks for the help guys, now if anyone has any tips on how to throat sing that would be greatly appreciated... ive looked around and nothing i found helped much

It really isn't a technique. Act like you're clearing your throat of phlegm. That's likely where Kurt was singing from. If you're hell bent on singing like him, that's where a majority of your "resonance" will be felt. But seriously, this is absolutely abhorrent technique. I'll tell you straight up that unless you are a hard-assed punk rocker with no concern for your health, or the usability and tone of your voice like Kurt was, do not do that. He had a cool sounding speaking voice, and thus he had a cool sounding singing voice, but he was a TERRIBLE singer.
If you care enough about technique to ask the internet, you care too much to sing like Kurt.
I remember hearing that Kurt was told by a doctor or some kind of medical professional that his voice would pretty much be destroyed if he kept singing the way he did. If it wasn't for his suicide, he might sound embarrassing if he tried to sing his old songs today.

But hey, even with no real technique his singing was still amazing.
lmao at the last 10 seconds.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Just belt it out. If it sounds right, there you go. If it doesn't, it still does in a way.
Slightly OT, but does anyone know if Eddie Vedder sings from the throat a lot as well?

I got hold of Ten just recently (yes, yes, I know...) and I've noticed that trying to sing along with Vedder is fairly comfortable for me in terms of range most of the time, but the only way I could get a harsh tone like his is to really sing from the throat and I could feel it hurting, so I stopped.

It really sounds like his throat, but he also sounds like a very solid/powerful technical singer (much moreso than Kurt), so I wasn't sure if he really was shredding his throat out singing like that.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Damascus
Slightly OT, but does anyone know if Eddie Vedder sings from the throat a lot as well?

I got hold of Ten just recently (yes, yes, I know...) and I've noticed that trying to sing along with Vedder is fairly comfortable for me in terms of range most of the time, but the only way I could get a harsh tone like his is to really sing from the throat and I could feel it hurting, so I stopped.

It really sounds like his throat, but he also sounds like a very solid/powerful technical singer (much moreso than Kurt), so I wasn't sure if he really was shredding his throat out singing like that.

Nah, Eddie Vedder's got some really great resonance. He DEFINITELY pulls his chest voice though when he hits high notes.
Without going back and listening to the collected works of Pearl Jam, my recollection tells me that he does both. He does, at times, sing with very good resonance, even on higher notes. Thinking on "today" where he says "jeremy spoke in class today" near the end of the song where he goes up higher. Also on Evenflow in the choruses.

But there are times when he is most definitely singing from the throat.

My guess is that he does the throat thing more readily in the studio, as an effect for the recording, but might be a bit more careful when he does it day after day live. A run through some live vids would affirm or deny this.

EDIT - Jeremy live '92 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9UO7Yl5tVs Seems he mixes it up quite a bit live too.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks, folks.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Study exactly what NOT to do when you scream, and then do it. You have Kurt Cobains vocals there neatly packaged in your hands if you followed the directions carefully. I do love his screams though. Marlboros and heroin helps.