A friend of mine has a Marshall 4x12 cab. I'm unsure of the model, but the speakers are Celestion G12Ms.

The top two speakers are extremely stiff, and they do not move. The only sound that comes out is very high frequencies.

I was seeing if his speakers were wired properly using a 9v battery. The bottom two moved forward. The top two didn't move at all.

We plugged his JCM 2000 into it, and I watched the speakers. The bottom two seemed to be functioning normal. The top two didn't seem to move at all.

Do the top two need reconing/replacing?
Quote by end_citizen
A friend of mine has a Marshall 4x12 cab. I'm unsure of the model, but the speakers are Celestion G12Ms.

The top two speakers are extremely stiff, and they do not move. The only sound that comes out is very high frequencies.

I was seeing if his speakers were wired properly using a 9v battery. The bottom two moved forward. The top two didn't move at all.

We plugged his JCM 2000 into it, and I watched the speakers. The bottom two seemed to be functioning normal. The top two didn't seem to move at all.

Do the top two need reconing/replacing?

Are they even connected up or do they have filters fitted? (not sure if you use filters on cabs, but that would cause issues)
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
They were connected, but the amp was quiet. I thought the phase of one of the speakers may have been wrong.

They were connected. You could hear them, but it was quiet and very harsh. I checked each one with a 9v. Two moved noticeably (the bottom two). The top two wouldn't move. They were also very stiff feeling. They almost felt like cardboard.

EDIT: Right now, I wired his cab up to be 8 ohms, with the top 2 taken out.

I wasn't sure if you could ruin them in there current condition, so I took them out of the circuit.
Last edited by end_citizen at Oct 7, 2009,
Probably bets, sounds like the coils etc might have fried, if they are that stiff.

Are they crunchy (inside the magnet) when you move the cone?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I'm not sure what you mean.

Around the top edge of the cone is where it is really stiff. The cab has been used in bars for the last 10 years or so. It feels like when you get paper wet, and then it dries really stiff.

The magnet is still very strong. It pulled the screwdriver I was using to remove the speaker from a few inches away.
Well. The cone itself should obviously be stiff.

What I mean is, push the cone near the centre and try to move it back towards the coils.

Is it really stiff or feel "crunchy" or scratchy?

At the end of the day, if they arent moving in use, then they are probably screwed.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Ya, know. I didn't even try to do that while I was there. I'll see him again on Monday. I'm sure the speakers are screwed. I just wasn't sure what it needed.

Thanks, Skeet.