Hi UG,

I have a xiphos xpt700 with a tremelo bridge, and had it for about a month already.

It was originally set up, and in standard with .09 strings. ( i dont use that gauge or tuning)

I play in drop C usually with .10s .

My guitar is deffinetely not setup, but the intonation is correct and its playable, but i cant lower the action the way i would like it, and its making it tough for me to sweep pick, and even then theres a decent amount of fret buzz.

I need help as to how to lower my action without too much buzz, i played with the truss rod before. but i havent found any guides on it and completely forgot what to do. so im not touching that right now.

Also my current spring configuration is / | \ instead of | | |
if that matters,

also if im already messing with everything i might as well switch my strings, im most likely switcing form my elixers .10s set. to the Elixir Light Top/Heavy Bottom ( 0-13-17-32-42-52 set)

any clue as to how i can fix my overall problem?

Thanks,
~Shpunt
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Last edited by Shpunt at Oct 7, 2009,
truss rod.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
truss rod.

that wasnt very informative, i know truss is part of the problem, as ive stated. xD
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Well, for starters, you're going to need to get another spring to accomodate for the heavier string gauge. I have the same gauge strings you're planning on getting on my Jackson (which has 4 springs) and it plays well.

Does your guitar have XJ frets? Those can tend to make fret buzz a little more frequent.
dont get a floyd rose if you drop it to c. my guess would be lower the bridge, that is if you have a floating bridge by screwing in the two pegs that how the bridge. make sure the bridge is even with the body of your guitar.
if you changed guages, you'll definitely need a set up
I mean, i'd highly advise not doing any truss rod adjustments because you COULD possibly do some damage to the instrument if you don't know what you're doing, not saying you don't just being caution.
and I also think you'll have to work on your nut...those strings might not fit
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
And also, if it turns out that the truss road is causing the majority of your problem, get it professionally set up, unless you're confident that you can do it yourself.
Quote by punker_7970
Well, for starters, you're going to need to get another spring to accomodate for the heavier string gauge. I have the same gauge strings you're planning on getting on my Jackson (which has 4 springs) and it plays well.

Does your guitar have XJ frets? Those can tend to make fret buzz a little more frequent.

In what way do i set up the fourth spring. and my springs are set to / | \ to increase spring tension.

butt hats not gunan help out my action factor that much

also its not extra jumbo. just jumbo

same as my schecter damien ( without a tremelo) but its action is rediculously low.

i eyeball it for about 1 and 1/2 inch at first fret?

i doubt i can do that with a trem. but right now. it shouldnt be this high
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Last edited by Shpunt at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by cainmd
dont get a floyd rose if you drop it to c. my guess would be lower the bridge, that is if you have a floating bridge by screwing in the two pegs that how the bridge. make sure the bridge is even with the body of your guitar.

I've seen this said a few times and it is wrong, as long as you have your trem set up properly it doesn't matter what tuning it is set up into. TS if you haven't all ready I would just go get a pro set up because, no offense, you seem to know what you are doing and you should never touch your truss rod without being really careful.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
the thing is. right now. i jsut put a deposit on a 625 buck amp and really broke, so atm i cant get a pro setup, so i need to know what i can do with what i have righr now too.

also that the setup from my local store is about 60 bucks.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Your best off just following the fr sticky then.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!