I just threw some 12's on my strat for fun and wow. It's definitely a struggle to do some decent bends (in Eb). What's the highest gauge you've tried and your thoughts. 12 is the highest for me. The guitar is starting to feel too jazzy and much harder to play. 11's seem like a good fit. Side note, I couldn't find a set of 12's with a nonwound g (aside from drop sets). I like the feel of unwound better and the OC side of me feels better with 3 wound and 3 unwound lol.
I hate even playing 10s... I know, but only 9s feel right to me.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I use .13-.56 on my acoustic, and I just went down from said gauge to .12-.54 on my electric.
I started out doing it mainly as a good way to build up finger strength, but it really is hindering my playing I've noticed. Getting trills, hammer ons and pull offs, and even getting the right picking is harder than on .10 or .11's.

But because of the .13's I can bend for miles. Three semi-tones anywhere above the twelfth fret on .13-.56 is pretty nice.
I have played on 11's on E standard tuning.
Now I don't want to get anything higher than 9's and 10's.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I have played on 11's on E standard tuning.
Now I don't want to get anything higher than 9's and 10's.

11s are godly for Standard tuning
Believe it or not but a friend of mine , ( who is an exceptional guitarist) strings his electrics with 14's and he can bend like David Gilmour- its no problem for him.

I have trouble with 12's
Quote by takeapicture

YOU CAN ALL SUCK MY 3 INCH WILLY

Quote by primusfan
i'm the one pulling my own pants down in front of people. and i have a small penis.

Quote by imdeth
Penises look much better than vaginas in my opinion. A vagina looks like an axe wound.
Quote by jeffc313
I hate even playing 10s... I know, but only 9s feel right to me.

+1.

Don't feel bad, it's music, not a sport.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Happy Meal
Believe it or not but a friend of mine , ( who is an exceptional guitarist) strings his electrics with 14's and he can bend like David Gilmour- its no problem for him.

I have trouble with 12's

Damn 14s. I thought 13's were as high as you could find. I suppose anything is possible if you custom it. I'm definately having trouble with these 12's. I'm currently in D standard b/c it's so hard to bend. Ima go back to the shop today and pick up my old 11's.
11s in E standard for a Strat scale length guitar are great. I don't think I'll ever go past those though.
Gear
Warmoth Stratocaster
Jackson KE3
ESP LTD EC-256

Bogner Alchemist 2x12
Vox AD30VT

Gator GPT-PWR Pedalboard
MXR CAE MC-404 Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by Happy Meal

I have trouble with 12's

does he have those on a jazz box? i know a guy that plays with 14's but only on his gibson es-175
Didn't SRV play with .16s or something

16?¿?¿ the finger death gauge :S im stuck with 11 on hardtail guitars and 10 on FR ones!
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by darkcheef
Didn't SRV play with .16s or something

SRV played with all sorts of gauges, particularly 13's. He sometimes went as high as 18's.

I used to play with 13's (in standard). It was pretty brutal at first, but damn did they sound nice.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 7, 2009,
I have been using .13's for 2 years in C#. I have since became very used to/in love with them.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
.3's were too brootal, 11's are where it's at. Maybe 10s.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
I only gone as high as 10s.

What are the good things about higher gauges?
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
I only gone as high as 10s.

What are the good things about higher gauges?

Less fret buzz, if you down tune the strings wont feel like rubber bands, and the string sound somewhat beefier.
I can't go lower then .10s or I end up bending out of tune without even having the intention of making a bend lol.
I don't mind .10s, I love .11s and I only tried .12s when I first started playing, and I didn't mind them so I imagine I'd like them more now that I have some finger strength.
I'm currently stringing all my guitars with 11's because I'm playing live and they're a bit easier to control than 12's with a plain G.

I've used a ton of different strings, but the stiffest ones I've played were 12-56 flatwounds on a 24.75 scale guitar. The 12-54's that I typically use on my Strat (12-54 with a plain G) handle very similar to my 11's.

What is the real determinant factor in the stiffness of strings, IMO is the G string. If I'm playing a 12 high E with an 18 plain G, it won't feel any different than playing a 10 with an 18 plain G, IMO. But with a 24 plain G (which the set of EB strings I bought had) was freakin ridiculous. It felt like a spoke from a bicycle rim.
i'm using .10-52's, they're like earnie ball top heavies, nickle wound.
before that i had .9-.42's so that was a pretty big jump for me. i like the higher gauge more, thought he lower ones are easier to play.
Last edited by KurdtStaley at Oct 7, 2009,
I went from 11's to 10s with my last set and a wound G on both. I use 12's on my acoustic, so bends are pretty much no problem. Where are y'alls findin 13's though? I wanna try some out someday.

My inner acoustic player won't let me like an unwound G. Doesn't feel natural.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've played on 11's in E for as long as I can remember but I might go to 10's in E and 11's in Eb and D.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The d'addario 12's don't have a wound G.That was what really made me stick with them.Having the wound G is just a little too far and it was hard to play,but now I love my d'addario's
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I generally string my guitars with 11-52, with a wound G. I like a set of 12s, but I always found there was just a tiny bit too much tension when forming extended voicings of chords on the lower frets.
lol i have been playing with .12 since i started guitar...it was one of the best things ive done because my bending muscles are super strong now
I use Power Slinkys (.11-.48) these days, but I've experimented with quite a few other gauges before. I could never use .9s again, they just feel too wimpy for me now.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Quote by customisbetter
^THe tone.

that's subjective, though. i prefer the tone of 9s.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?