hi,
I have a hughes and kettner tube 50 head and a original greenback cab (70ies) and I play throug it with a 1993 les paul studio.
My low end isn't really tight and if I play it loud with a drop tuning the heavy notes have almost no bass when I mute. It's really compressed at low volumes but (freaky for a tube amp) it doesn't really sound as fat when crancked up.
I had it retubed 3 months ago.
So, do I just dislike the sound of greenbacks or is this an amp or a guitar issue?

Cheers
Hendrik
What tuning are you in, and what gauge strings are you using?
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Yeah check ur string guage prob and sw1ss023, SKWISGAAR SNAP!!!
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by sw1ss023
What tuning are you in, and what gauge strings are you using?

Drop C mostly and normal D'addario strings
Quote by SimplyBen
What settings are you using on the amp?

Bass and middle at about 6, treble and prescence at about 4, gain at 6-7 and a little verb
EQ settings, speakers, tubes, pickups, and string gauge are all going to play a crucial factor in getting the tone that you're looking for.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
EQ settings, speakers, tubes, pickups, and string gauge are all going to play a crucial factor in getting the tone that you're looking for.

Well actually I'm happy with my tone, the greenbacks go really well with other instruments, when I play a V30 cab I don't really get trough as much as with the GB's but I woulld just to have some more bass in my heavy sound, with the gibson this shouldn't be a problem. And from what I've heard greenbacks can give plenty of bass
I dunno if it's just the crappy EQing skills of youtubers, but the amp itself sounds pretty high in treble. what's you're EQ atm? What guage strings are you using? A good Graphic EQ or Overdrive should let you tighten up the floppy bass? At least if it's anything like the other people's I've been listening to. May I suggest an MXR-M108 or an MXR-M109 depending on wether you need the extra control of the 108 or not. For an Overdrive for metal, I'd recommend either the Fulltone OCD or a Maxon OD808. The OCD offers a fairly mainstream Overdrive, pretty generic tone, but it sounds awesome. The OD808 is the original Tubescreamer, it is easily modifiable to get your ideal tone, but you have to know what you're looking for to begin with. Both great overdrives.

Edit: Now i've seen your settings, Your treble and bass are probably a little too far apart, if your looking for that tight sound, try and keep them no more than 1 apart, also, roll the treble up a little bit on the guitar, and get your bass from the amp. So if you want a bass heavy sound try something like Treble: 6 Bass: 7 Mids: Optional Presence: Optional. If your mids are too high you'll sound honky, if they're too low you'll never cut through the mix, no matter how much volume you have. Presence is a funny thing, it's frequencies above treble, but sometimes when it's rolled up a bit (depending on your amplifier) it will actually tighten your bass. Roll it too far up though and you'll sound brittle.

Hope i helped?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Last edited by R.D at Oct 7, 2009,
Is it only really when you drop tune that you have problems with it? You might have to re-eq it for the drop tunings. There might be something else you haven't accounted for. Trial and error is the way forward! Try re-eq'ing it, then try a different guitar, different cable, maybe see if you can go to a shop with your gear and try an EQ pedal see if you can make a difference there.

Also, what 'normal' strings? Are they 0.9's or 0.10's? Try 0.11's they give a nice beefy sound.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by henis
hi,
I have a hughes and kettner tube 50 head and a original greenback cab (70ies) and I play throug it with a 1993 les paul studio.
My low end isn't really tight and if I play it loud with a drop tuning the heavy notes have almost no bass when I mute. It's really compressed at low volumes but (freaky for a tube amp) it doesn't really sound as fat when crancked up.
I had it retubed 3 months ago.
So, do I just dislike the sound of greenbacks or is this an amp or a guitar issue?

Cheers
Hendrik
There is the issue right there. Greenbacks, especially vintage greenbacks, as Godly as they are, are the last choice I'd go to if I wanted a clear, tight, defined low end.
Maybe your ears are just used to the artificial, excessive, boomy low end produced by many solid state amps and multimedia audio systems. Maybe you need to upgrade your listening speakers/headphones to something more neutral, so you get a better idea of how much bass guitar amps usually have.

Notice that in extreme dropped tuning recordings, the heaviness comes from the upper mids, and the bass is reduced to make the sound tighter. Try lowering the bass a bit on your amp and using a tubescreamer. Don't use reverb.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis