Poll: What is the better choice?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the better choice?
Option 1
28 70%
Option 2
12 30%
Voters: 40.
Page 1 of 2
Both options have positives and negatives. Both equal to $200. This is for first guitar/amp. Which one is better?

Option 1: Dean Vendetta XM for $100, Peavey Vypyr 15 for $100.
Option 2: Used Ibanez RG120 for $140, Marshall MG10CD for $60.

Which one is better/worse for first guitar and amp and why?

And PLEASE, if you're going to suggest another option, at least make it around $200.
Last edited by dsan224 at Oct 7, 2009,
Used Ibanez RG120 + Peavey Vypyr 15. would be the better choice.

EDIT: Why?
Ibanez makes great guitars, Dean not so much.
The Vypyr is one of the most decent low budget practice amps i've played, and the Marshall MG sucks balls, even though a lot of people will tell you the new version is good. Don't believe them, it's the same, most haven't played it and are just saying things based on a Rob Chappers vid.
again. Ibanez + Peavey = best option

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by Zoso1994 at Oct 7, 2009,
that's tough... I'm a fan of Ibanez, and the MG amps are okay, and the deans aren't too bad and I prefer the vyper a lot more then the MG... Can you save up more to get the Ibanez and the Vyper at the same time? It'd only be like 4o bucks more.
Yeah I would buy the Ibanez and then save a tiny bit more and get the Peavey.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
To be the ONLY person to actually adhere to your 2 options, get the Ibanez and MG.
Fender USA Stratocaster HSS
Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 321mh
Fender Squier Strat
Bugera V22
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100
Line 412 cab V 30's
ibanez and peavey
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
My budget is $200 I must NOT go over the limit there has to be another way.
There's not that much of a difference between the two amps anyway so go with the Ibanez guitar.
Quote by vultures?OMG
There's not that much of a difference between the two amps anyway so go with the Ibanez guitar.

Theres actually one really big difference.....the peavey doesnt suck horribly
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by dsan224

Just save up more. Are you like 9 or something?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Hey guys answer this question, which option can I get more of a heavy metal/metalcore chugga chugga riff from? You know the stuff they play in breakdowns, if those of you metalheads know what I'm talking about.
Last edited by dsan224 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by dsan224
Hey guys answer this question, which option can I get more of a heavy metal/metalcore chugga chugga riff from? You know the stuff they play in breakdowns, if you metalheads know what I'm talking about.

Dean sucks ass all the way around, MG's the same.

The Ibanez and the peavey..
Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX
ESP/LTD EC400AT

Soon to have an Ibanez RG1550M, 350M, and RG2610!!
Quote by CKYIbanezParker
Just save up more. Are you like 9 or something?

Lol no It's just since this is my first guitar and amp, I don't know how much I'll like guitar. So I'm kinda afraid of spending too much, it's not that I don't have enough money I have more than enough to buy it lol, it's just I want to be safe and I'm not sure if I'm going to be committed to this.
Quote by dsan224

You will not get the sound that your looking for if you get the MG, and the dean just sucks. If you really want to have decent gear, you'll save up an extra $40.

and isn't this like the 3rd thread you've made this week, all on similar subjects?
Quote by SlayingDragons
why?

You will not get the sound that your looking for if you get the MG, and the dean just sucks. If you really want to have decent gear, you'll save up an extra $40.

and isn't this like the 3rd thread you've made this week, all on similar subjects?

No, this is like the second...

I've finally narrowed it down to 2 guitars and 2 amps so I'm almost done with these threads lol hopefully this is the last.
I guess the real point of this thread was to ask if the Ibanez was as good/better than the Peavey Vypyr amp and if the Dean guitar was as bad/worse than the Marshall MG10CD amp. Well I've completely ruled out the Marshall amp, is the Ibanez guitar THAT much better than the Dean guitar?
Quote by dsan224
I guess the real point of this thread was to ask if the Ibanez was as good/better than the Peavey Vypyr amp and if the Dean guitar was as bad/worse than the Marshall MG10CD amp. Well I've completely ruled out the Marshall amp, is the Ibanez guitar THAT much better than the Dean guitar?

It is, my friend had a Vendetta XM and the frets wore out VERY fast, the electronics were shoddy, and the bridge had many sharp groves in it. I played the RG120 before and it seemed like a good beginner guitar.
Well, my friend when he wa starting on guitar ordered a Dean Vendetta, and as soon as he picked it up he sent it back. The guitar weighed baout 5 pounds, but not in a good way. IT felt like particle board with a wood colored coating, you know like in cheap school tables and stuff. The Ibanez will be so much better.
Quote by Ape_Natural
Well, my friend when he wa starting on guitar ordered a Dean Vendetta, and as soon as he picked it up he sent it back. The guitar weighed baout 5 pounds, but not in a good way. IT felt like particle board with a wood colored coating, you know like in cheap school tables and stuff. The Ibanez will be so much better.

It will be more durable even though the Ibanez has a few dents and cracks in it?
Go for the Ibanez and the Peavey.

I have a Vypyr 75, and my first guitar was an Ibanez GAX70, which I *Still* play (At least until my new RGT is ready).

Im not a fan of Deans, the low end ones seem cheaply made and the high end Deans are gimmicky.

In my opinion, theres nothing that will make you quit playing electric guitar faster than having an amp that sounds like crap.

How are you supposed to enjoy playing and *want* to learn and play if you cant get the tone you want?
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
Go for the Ibanez and the Peavey.

I have a Vypyr 75, and my first guitar was an Ibanez GAX70, which I *Still* play (At least until my new RGT is ready).

Im not a fan of Deans, the low end ones seem cheaply made and the high end Deans are gimmicky.

In my opinion, theres nothing that will make you quit playing electric guitar faster than having an amp that sounds like crap.

How are you supposed to enjoy playing and *want* to learn and play if you cant get the tone you want?

So true, I almost quit because of this horrible Ibanez amp that got shipped out with my guitar, it had such a god awful tone and I could do nothing to get it sound decent.
If I got the used Ibanez RG120 guitar and the Peavey Vypyr 15 amp, what do you think I would replace first? The guitar or the amp?
Quote by dsan224
If I got the used Ibanez RG120 guitar and the Peavey Vypyr 15 amp, what do you think I would replace first? The guitar or the amp?

It really depends on your needs and how you feel, we really can't answer this one honestly.
Quote by darkcheef
It really depends on your needs and how you feel, we really can't answer this one honestly.

Yeah I guess so...
But IDK, If I get the used Ibanez if I don't like guitar it'll be hard to sell.
Quote by dsan224
But IDK, If I get the used Ibanez if I don't like guitar it'll be hard to sell.

Dont expect to get near MSRP resale values on a mass produced guitar that brand new isnt even that expensive, however, saying that.. there are places that will take your trade in.

And btw, the Dean will have an even lower resale value than the Ibanez.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
Dont expect to get near MSRP resale values on a mass produced guitar that brand new isnt even that expensive, however, saying that.. there are places that will take your trade in.

And btw, the Dean will have an even lower resale value than the Ibanez.

A VERY used Ibanez guitar with 2 dents and a crack in it will have a higher resale value than an almost new Dean?
I think that since you're just starting guitar, pick the guitar you like better over the amp. If you don't have much experience with playing guitar, you probably don't even have an ear for tone yet. By the time you develop ear, you'll have enough money to upgrade. Took me about 2 years to tell good tone from bad tone.
Quote by Beerad1337
I think that since you're just starting guitar, pick the guitar you like better over the amp. If you don't have much experience with playing guitar, you probably don't even have an ear for tone yet. By the time you develop ear, you'll have enough money to upgrade. Took me about 2 years to tell good tone from bad tone.

Lol yeah, right now I hear like no difference from the Marshall MG10CD and the Peavey Vypyr, they both sound pretty much the same to me, but I guess I need to play with a worse amp to know how a good amp sounds.
So that being said, I say option 2. When you don't need to ask the internet for which amp to buy, you've developed ear :P
Really, just save up the $40, but between the two options, option two.
The MG really isn't that bad an amp, and I would never buy the Dean. In your situation I would rather have a better guitar and a crap amp, rather than a crap guitar and an ok amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
Really, just save up the $40, but between the two options, option two.
The MG really isn't that bad an amp, and I would never buy the Dean. In your situation I would rather have a better guitar and a crap amp, rather than a crap guitar and an ok amp.

Yeah, the guitar has dents and scratches and stuff so it LOOKS kinda crappy. This Saturday I'm going to my local music store so I will play around with the RG120 and I'll probably take some pictures and upload them to here and ask what you guys think.
Quote by dsan224
Yeah, the guitar has dents and scratches and stuff so it LOOKS kinda crappy. This Saturday I'm going to my local music store so I will play around with the RG120 and I'll probably take some pictures and upload them to here and ask what you guys think.

That sounds good.

People on here are believers that an amp has more effect on your tone than the guitar. While this is true, if you're a beginner and have a cheap guitar, you wont want to play as much. You should love your guitar, this is why I say that it is more important to get the nicer guitar, rather than the nicer amp. The RG120 is a great guitar, while the Dean isn't that great at all.

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
That sounds good.

People on here are believers that an amp has more effect on your tone than the guitar. While this is true, if you're a beginner and have a cheap guitar, you wont want to play as much. You should love your guitar, this is why I say that it is more important to get the nicer guitar, rather than the nicer amp. The RG120 is a great guitar, while the Dean isn't that great at all.

Yeah, I'm just afraid that since the RG120 LOOKS kinda bad, it'll make me not want to play as much. Do you think I can like ask the store if they can repaint the dents where the paint faded away or something like that? I know you probably don't know the answer to that but do you think people do that sometimes?
imo used guitars look cool. Thats why they make relic Fenders and stuff. If you're really worried about the look, then get something else. For me, its all about how the guitar feels in my hands. I would play a pink Hello Kitty guitar onstage if I thought that it felt and sounded better than my Les Paul.

I wouldn't get the dents repainted, but if its dented badly, i would think about it before buying. How about you post pics, then we can help you out.

edit- added you as a friend

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Quote by jc349
imo used guitars look cool. Thats why they make relic Fenders and stuff. If you're really worried about the look, then get something else. For me, its all about how the guitar feels in my hands. I would play a pink Hello Kitty guitar onstage if I thought that it felt and sounded better than my Les Paul.

I wouldn't get the dents repainted, but if its dented badly, i would think about it before buying. How about you post pics, then we can help you out.

edit- added you as a friend

Kk I'll post pics on Saturday, ty for the add btw.
Page 1 of 2