So I just picked up an rc-2 today and i've got a question. I have no problem recording loops but I have a problem with the sound quality while playing over loops. On my amp's clean channel, everything sounds fantastic, ie: i can record a loop and play over it and create plenty more loops on top of that. I've got no qualms with how this works on the clean channel.

When I use it on the rectifier setting on (or any other setting that has distortion) on my amp, i can record one loop and it sounds fine, but everything sounds like crap as soon as I start to play over that loop. It's like the amp can't handle both sounds at once, but it can handle plenty on the clean channel.

Is there any way to fix that? Or is there any way to maybe record a clean chord progression and then solo over it on one of the distortion models on the amp? (without buying a distortion pedal)

Ugh this is long.

tldr: rc-2 sounds like crap while playing over loops using built in amp distortion. Any fix?

thanks
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Here's the problem...

Your amp (Roland Cube 60, right?) does not have an effects loop.
So everything is in front of the AMP.

so you record something on the RC2, then play it back.
As soon as you put distortion on your amp, the recording you made is also being distored.

And vice versa, so if you have your amp on a distortion sound, and record using the RC-2, it is not recording the distortion. It's only recording the sound coming from your guitar, because the distortion comes from the amp..

You really need an effects loop on your amp to get the full use out of the RC-2

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Oct 7, 2009,
Yeah its a cube 60. So if i bought a metal zone or something then that should work?

But my main problem is even if i record a loop in distortion mode, and then i try to solo over that loop ALSO in distortion mode, it just craps out and you can't really make anything out at all. I wonder if even using a separate pedal would fix that, it seems like the speaker just can't handle it. thanks for the reply
Roland Cube 60
A distortion pedal would work. Just put the RC-2 as the LAST pedal in the chain.

That way, the RC-2 will record the distortion sound from the pedal, and when played back into the amp, the distortion will still be there.

yep, Keep the amp on a Clean setting, and use a distortion pedal.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
I encountered another problem, and figured I'd just add to this thread to ask another question.

I seem to have done something to the default mode on the pedal (the one that says record/play). Before I would press the pedal once to activate that mode, then press it again to start recording, and once more to stop. This was working fine but now when I press the pedal once to activate the mode, it doesn't start recording on the second press... I will start to play some notes and after a couple seconds the riff automatically stops recording and starts playing it back.

Auto mode works fine (so i know i'm not out of memory) , but I'm not sure what I did to mess the default mode up. I've looked around for a few hours trying to figure this one out. Thanks for any help.
Roland Cube 60
You may have recorded something on that phrase that is only a couple measures long, and not realize it..

Make sure you're using an empty phrase. use the Delete function to make sure the phrase is empty.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Hey thanks for coming back man. Yeah the phrase is empty. I've scoured the manual tryin to figure it out with no luck. I'm gonna tool around with it a bit more for now. any other suggestions? Thanks again!

Oh and btw, that's a beautiful guitar you've got. A friend of mine has the same one (different finish) and it plays awesome
Roland Cube 60
Last edited by dhoyft at Oct 8, 2009,
You could try going from the recording out on the Cube into the RC-2 and then into something else - like your computer.