Me and my friend are trying to come up with money to make a home studio. The town we live in does not have a studio for local bands to record in, the closest one is a few hours away from civilization, and it's quite expensive. So we were just wondering: what exactly would we need to buy to start a studio(we know the general things we need, but more specifics would be nice) and about how much would it be?

We don't need some super studio or anything. Just one that can function enough to record with decent quality. So we don't need like noise proof windows or like 5 million mics or a 12324354354 band equalizer or anything. Just a general small studio that we could build upon as time goes by.

Thank you.

Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i couldn't decide between the pit and Guitar Equipment...
depends what quality you're going for. a 20 dollar mic, a computer, and some free software could function as a studio. a few more expensive mics, a computer with a good sound card (or a mixer), and some more software could function as a pretty good studio. quality is the main variable.
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
It depends on what you want in the studio, and what quality of that you want.

so, basically, anything from £400+.

edit: I've spent about £2000, but I've been very lucky on deals and things (like free computers and massively underpriced mixing boards and amplifiers), so, all in all, I've got maybe £4000 worth of stuff and I can just about churn out acceptable quality recordings. that includes a drumkit and amps and synthesizers though.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Last edited by jgbsmith at Oct 7, 2009,
1) Wrong forum
2) Lots. I've been building mine (on budget) for several months and I'm still nowhere close.
Cost me about $600. Not including my guitar gear or my computer.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Oh, well sorry about the wrong forum post, i will move it to the recording one.

But for anyone who happens to come across this thread before it is inevitably closed: We want just good enough quality. Like good enough to make a small EP or demos or something, as i said nothing major.
Quote by Nirvana00125
Oh, well sorry about the wrong forum post, i will move it to the recording one.

But for anyone who happens to come across this thread before it is inevitably closed: We want just good enough quality. Like good enough to make a small EP or demos or something, as i said nothing major.

Decent mikes, good sound card, good software == a few hundred bucks. Probably four or five of them at least.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

My Home Studio

Mac Pro $2300
Dual 22" Monitors $500
KRK Rockit 8 Monitors $500
KRK 10" Sub $325
M-Audio Project Mix I/O with Pro Tools M-Powered 8 $1450
Presonus Digimax FS $500
Lexicon MX300 $300
Furman M-8 Power Strip $50
16 Channel Snake $300
Mics $350 and growing

Total $6575

That is my studio that gives me the ability to record 16 channels at 24bit 48kHz.

But as long as you have a computer and a way to get sounds in and out of your computer and software you can record.
I read topic title as "How much would it cost to create a homo studio?"
the cheapest studio i can envision would have at least $200 worth of mics, a $100 sound card, whatever computer you already have (hopefully it isn't too ****ty), a $100 pair of monitor headphones, and you can go with free software or pirate some (but if you release anything for profit, make sure you get licenses for the software first)

so around 400-500 for a setup that would be fine for demos/EP's
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.