Page 1 of 2
Well, I usually refrain from making threads about pointless questions in my life, but I need some outside advice for this problem.

I moved to this new school (back in September) and I met this kid, a Junior, that plays guitar. Me and him have gotten together and jammed a few times and I really like the way that our music is turning out. His brother is a drummer too, which is another plus.

So anyways, I figured out a few days ago that this kid isn't as great as I thought he was. Keep in mind that I am a freshman in HS, and am a good kid (4.0 GPA, 2 years ahead in math, etc.) So this Junior that I've been jamming with is into some things that I'm not really into. He smokes, and does drugs, etc. He has been selling pills and shit at lunch and I just really don't want to be apart of it.

I really enjoy jamming with him though, and it's been a while since I've had another guitarist that I can collaborate with often. I don't know if I should just stick through it and risk getting caught up in some things that could ruin my life, or if I should just try to end the friendship while its only a few months old.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
You can say no, can't you? If he's cool about it then it shouldn't be a problem, but if he tries forcing anything on you, that's when you should get out.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Don't do it. Simple as that. Keep jamming, don't do it. If he tries to get you into it, drop him. End of story.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
If you don't want to do drugs then don't. If he tried to force you then w/e, **** him.

Most people realize drugs aren't for everyone.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by Here_is_no_why
You can say no, can't you? If he's cool about it then it shouldn't be a problem, but if he tries forcing anything on you, that's when you should get out.

He hasn't really talked to me about them at all yet. Just about selling them (what he's done). So idk if he would force me, but i dont think he would.
Quote by imdeth

I agree with ganghisgandhi, don't get caught up in that stuff dude. A lot of my friends are hardcore druggies but i've managed to stay straight edge for years. If you think you have the self control, keep jamming, or maybe keep your relationship strictly about music.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
dude i was friends with guys i was in the same grade with and they smoked and all that **** and we jammed but thats as far as i would ever go. I didnt go anywhere with them cause i wasnt gettin in trouble cause they were pot heads. Now I'm 5 years outta high school have been through Full Sail's Recording Arts program and work at a nice studio while they are living with mom and dad or struggling in dead end jobs that makes them do more drugs cause they are unhappy. The choice is yours but the drugs are always a giant NO in my life
keep him as a friend, and keep jamming with him, it sounds like you have a decent musical relationship, but don't let him make you do anything you wouldn't want to, and don't do drugs if you don't want to.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Just don't be around him when he does drugs. I've watched one of my best friends turn into a major pot head and smoker but he's gotten alot better. Pretty much quit smoking only does it every now and then, he's somewhat realized he's ****ed up these past 2 years and is paying the consequences because were in a self paced school so he's still doing grade 9 courses while i'm doing grade 10 courses, his dad died unexpectedly when we were in grade 8 then he went downhill, but he's getting better . But just ask him not to do it around you. If he tries to get you to do them just explain you're not like that and if he starts making fun of you or pressuring you just tell him a real friend wouldn't say that.
Guys it's not the "my friends might make me do drugs" part he should worry about, its the "me and my friend could be jamming and the police might break in to search the house for drugs" part he should worry about.
if hes anything like my friends then he'll offer you a hit and if you decline your called a pussy and all is forgotten in like 5 minutes. If he gets caught or whatever and you hang out with him alot it'll raise suspicion, but if you keep up the whole 4.0 GPA good kid thing and don't get caught noone will care
Quote by metaldud536
Guys it's not the "my friends might make me do drugs" part he should worry about, its the "me and my friend could be jamming and the police might break in to search the house for drugs" part he should worry about.

Surprisingly, this joke is somewhat true, although its not his house Im worried about, its at school when Im with him. My parents would shit brix if they found out I hung out with a druggie.
Quote by imdeth

just don't do it if you don't want to.

It's not going to ruin your life if you are smart about it.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Some people have such a totalitarian attitude on drugs. Big deal if he does them, a lot more people than you realise do too and they are fine, just more discreet. The only drug I haven't done is heroin and I turned out way better than most people I know, I have a place at uni, top grades most my life and just got a high-demand job at the DoubleTree Hotel.

You found him because he is a musician you enjoy playing with. And he's a cool guy to you. So where's the problem really?
didn't think too much about that, all my friends limit themselves to pot, except for a couple, and my moms perfectly cool with pot. I guess if they don't catch YOU with it then they won't care
Quote by RG5EX1
Surprisingly, this joke is somewhat true, although its not his house Im worried about, its at school when Im with him. My parents would shit brix if they found out I hung out with a druggie.

Honestly dude, to me I wouldn't give a ****. If you have nothing on you there is no reason for ytour parents to find out...
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

dont do drugsssss.....im gonna try not to preach or anything. but almost everyone ik doesnt do drugs. one of them tho said that when he was filling out paperwork for a job and stuff , their was a whole section on if u have got legally in trouble or done drugs and why. he didnt hav to fill that out at all because hes never done any drugs or got legally in trouble. he said he was so happy that he could truthfully say hes never touched the stuff. one person that i know tho did all sorts of drugs freshmen year and got really sick. i mean life threatening sick. it messed with him so bad he almost died. that right there made me say and promise to myself that i would never even thinkk bout tryin drugs. some kids do drugs cuz it thinks it makes them cool. in high school people wanna be cool and be included in things. but when they are adults, they dont want to be cool, they want to be respected. u wont find respect easily if u hav a reputation as a druggy
Quote by metaldud536

Also this.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Quote by Cameronrobson
Seems like you have lots of stress. Ask your friend about Xanax.

Fixed.
Quote by Saf1
Some people have such a totalitarian attitude on drugs. Big deal if he does them, a lot more people than you realise do too and they are fine, just more discreet. The only drug I haven't done is heroin and I turned out way better than most people I know, I have a place at uni, top grades most my life and just got a high-demand job at the DoubleTree Hotel.

You found him because he is a musician you enjoy playing with. And he's a cool guy to you. So where's the problem really?

Agreed. Just because he does drugs doesn't mean he's going to force you to do them. If he offers, say you're not into that and it should drop there. If it doesn't, tell him you'd prefer if he didn't ask you to do that **** and that you just wanna jam. If all else fails, drop him. There are a million and one people in the world who you can jam with, you just gotta ask around.
Don't do drugs. Not while you're in school. You have to grow up and make that decision for yourself, without being influenced by peer pressure. Like all the smoking kids (like 90% of my age-group, myself not included thankfully). Tell him that selling the drugs is a really bad idea and try to make him stop, but you don't have to stop all contact with him. Drugs are not "evil", just misused.
Quote by Mr.McAwesom2112
I agree with ganghisgandhi, don't get caught up in that stuff dude. A lot of my friends are hardcore druggies but i've managed to stay drug free for years. If you think you have the self control, keep jamming, or maybe keep your relationship strictly about music.

fix'd

and if you're not into it, have the willpower to not do it if he asks. It's stupid how people think getting asked to do drugs will automatically imply that they have no choice but to.
Quote by jimmyled
Don't do drugs. Not while you're in school. You have to grow up and make that decision for yourself, without being influenced by peer pressure. Like all the smoking kids (like 90% of my age-group, myself not included thankfully). Tell him that selling the drugs is a really bad idea and try to make him stop, but you don't have to stop all contact with him. Drugs are not "evil", just misused.

this
Quote by jimmyled
Tell him that selling the drugs is a really bad idea and try to make him stop,

The sad part is that he has medical problems and gets alot of pills, but he just sells them as ecstasy and stuff. I guess it's easy money, but I wouldn't do it.
Quote by imdeth

Quote by RG5EX1
The sad part is that he has medical problems and gets alot of pills, but he just sells them as ecstasy and stuff. I guess it's easy money, but I wouldn't do it.

Dude, he's not a druggie then, he's a genius.
F
U
C E N S O R S H I P
K
Quote by dustyboy316
Most people realize drugs aren't for everyone.

In all seriousness, this has always been my experience. I've only had one person ever try to sell to me, and they weren't a friend - in fact, they really didn't have any true friends, because of his anger problems (which clearly isn't the case you have described). Long story short, that guy is now in prison for armed robbery.

Going back to the quote - I've known plenty of druggies, and none of them have ever tried to force anything. You get the friendly offer to join in from time to time, but the way I see it, it's friendly and polite - you'll get the same thing from a smoker, being offered a cigarette, or an invite to go to someone's poker night, or even your couch potato friends eating Cheetoes.

Use your best judgement. The best advice I can give is to not do anything you're uncomfortable with. If you are having to stop and think about if something is OK to do, then you're not comfortable, and should just not do that until you are comfortable with it. Good advice for life.
Quote by RG5EX1

I heard about stuff like that, for example using Ritalin as Cocaine (I actually need it BTW). It's still a bad thing, maybe even worse than drug dealing (I'm not against drugs, only the dealing), and he could get busted for it.
i spy ignorance!

if you want to do drugs, do drugs. if you don't, don't.

/thread
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
I think you're being too paranoid. Just stay completely uninvolved in the selling and you have nothing to worry about. Don't get me wrong, you could spend a night in jail, or get charged with a crime, but you're not actually going to get in any trouble if you're not involved. Hanging out with a drug dealer doesn't make you a drug dealer.

And as far as doing drugs is concerned I again wouldn't be so concerned. Drugs (especially pot) aren't as bad as the media/government/idiots in this thread/schools make them out to be. Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating their use, I just want to make it clear that casual marijuana use will do you no harm what so ever. Drugs only become an issue when you let them take over your life, which they have a tendency to do, but you have to be cooperative.
Quote by jimmyled
It's still a bad thing, maybe even worse than drug dealing (I'm not against drugs, only the dealing), and he could get busted for it.

My point exactly. I sit next to him at lunch, and if he gets overheard talking about selling it (he's not all that discreet) I don't want to be searched and all that stuff. It's just the principle of it all, I have nothing on me.
Quote by imdeth

Personality, the only drugs I've done are weed and shrooms, but then again I don't consider it drugs lol. Im in a band were half people smoke regularly and the other half don't, but its totally fine.

I think you shouldn't worry about it. I know plenty of people like honor students, cheerleaders, student councilmen and others that you wouldn't expect to smoke. They never get in trouble so you're fine.
Quote by ep1kz
i spy ignorance!

if you want to do drugs, do drugs. if you don't, don't.

/thread

This guy knows exactly what he's talking about.
If this guy is obnoxious enough to shout about dealing drugs during lunch at school, or even deal drugs at lunch during school, I'd say he's bad news.

If he's selling his scripts off as Ecstasy then I say get the hell away from him. Passing off a drug as something that it's not shows pretty poor character.

Other than that, the drugs shouldn't have any effect on the friendship as long as he isn't forcing you to do them.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Aaron0612
@ all the drug hate in this thread.

What the hell right, I thought we were a bunch of stoner hippies in here.
Quote by RG5EX1
My point exactly. I sit next to him at lunch, and if he gets overheard talking about selling it (he's not all that discreet) I don't want to be searched and all that stuff. It's just the principle of it all, I have nothing on me.

Like I said previously I wouldn't be worried. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with selling drugs. I don't get how all these American's can be so brain washed. Do you people know anything about the principals this country was founded on? It's unconstitutional and it is not the role of government to tell people what they can and cannot sell. These people are such hypocrites, you allow the sell of alcohol and have nothing bad to say about it, but if it's a drug (even one made by a pharmaceutical company) it's some how wrong? Can anyone explain the logic behind that? And keep in mind I said LOGIC I don't want to hear some Christian bull**** about how it's immoral or bad for you. Because you're completely wrong, it's actually the complete opposite, it's immoral to tell people what they can and cannot sell. It's an infringement on personal freedoms, it's a complete contradiction of America's Laze Fair policy, and it is totalitarianism. Learn how to be tolerant of other peoples lifestyle choices, even if that choice is to inject heroin. It's not your place to tell them what they can and cannot do. It's funny how most anti-drug advocates are also right wingers who support free market policies, they're the epitome of hypocrisy and fascism.
Live and let live, I'm sure your friend will be respectful of your beliefs. Peer pressure is just a myth weaklings use as an excuse because they can't bear the repercussions of their own actions. I have never once been peer pressured to use drugs, perhaps kindly offered, but never pressured. Drinking on the other hand, there's a place I see peer pressure, not to drink in the first place, but to drink more than one should. But again this isn't really any excuse for acting in one way or another. You are completely responsible for your actions. If you choose to drink with a bunch of immature children and you drink to the point where you're easily influenced then let them convince you to drink til you vomit, it's your fault.
Last edited by KurdtStaley at Oct 7, 2009,
Page 1 of 2