Hello, i live in Northern Ireland (part of the UK)

I want to buy a Dean ML and Hardcase from America, the guitar is alot cheaper there than it is here, i would be saving £££'s. However, as i have never had to import or send a guitar away before, i am unaware of the proceedure and extra costs involved.

How much roughly would the delivery be and what tax or custom's charges would i need to pay??

If anyone here knows, or has any experience with importing, then i would really apprieciate some help!

Cheers,
Baz
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
customs taxes, VAT and shipping costs would kill the deal you would most likely end up paying the same price as your local store. the other option and it`s one i don`t approve of(online buying) is buying from within the EU at sites like thomann.de
delivery would probably cost about £100 and then you will have to pay import duty and it can add up, in some cases it could be upto half the price of the guitar as it is based on percentages
Quote by ibanezgod1973
customs taxes, VAT and shipping costs would kill the deal you would most likely end up paying the same price as your local store. the other option and it`s one i don`t approve of(online buying) is buying from within the EU at sites like thomann.de

I would be saving around £450 by buying from the USA, the guitar is on a sale in one of the more known and 'respected' retail site's.

By any chance do you know where i would pay the customs taxes and the vat, i am assuming the vat is 15% of the original price tag. But how much would the customs taxes be?

Thanks,
Baz
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I wouldn't import ANY guitar unless i'm collecting myself, and bringing it hope myself.

It's just not worth it, it's expensive, nerve-shattering and flooded in risks.

I came off very lucky because my guitars arrived ding and scratch free, but I was flooded with VERY expensive shipping, customs, import and VAT are just ridiculous.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by britishsligean
delivery would probably cost about £100 and then you will have to pay import duty and it can add up, in some cases it could be upto half the price of the guitar as it is based on percentages

The guitar is on sale for $399 which is £251

Cheers,
Baz
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I got my schecter imported from the States to UK and I never got charged customs or VAT.
The shipper ticked it off as a 'gift' and said it had a value of $100.

If you do get caught it's only %17.5. Calculate it and see if it's worth it.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
For something so cheap it's REALLY not worth it.

E-Married to Funny_Page
The guitar is £251 new, with hardcase, here the cheapest i can find it for is £620ish. Its a Dean stealth snakeskin, i have a friend in america who is willing to buy it for me and ship it to my home address and i shall paypal him the money.

Am i wrong in thinking:

Guitar: £250
15% Tax on £250 is ...£37.50
Delivery around £90

total cost = around £380 i gonsider that a saving of around £250
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Handling costs, insurance, couriers etc (some are certain, some are possilities)

but the thing that costs the most is piece of mind, you will worry your brain out!

If you can, get your friend to fly with it over to you onboard, it's safer and cheaper.

E-Married to Funny_Page
I say go for it. There might be a surprise fee in the customs but you'll know the shipping costs before check out.
And I disagree with it not being worth it if it's cheap. It's more worth it.
Less tax to pay if you did get caught.

Request it be sent as a gift if possible.
Let us know what happens
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by GaijinFoot
I say go for it. There might be a surprise fee in the customs but you'll know the shipping costs before check out.
And I disagree with it not being worth it if it's cheap. It's more worth it.
Less tax to pay if you did get caught.

Request it be sent as a gift if possible.
Let us know what happens

Sre will dude

Has anyone else here imported a guitar before, i would love more info before i pull the trigger

Cheers,
Baz
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
I would be saving around £450 by buying from the USA, the guitar is on a sale in one of the more known and 'respected' retail site's.

By any chance do you know where i would pay the customs taxes and the vat, i am assuming the vat is 15% of the original price tag. But how much would the customs taxes be?

Thanks,
Baz

you just get a letter from her majesty`s revenue and customs saying pay 'x' amount, this needs to be paid before they release the guitar and after so many days they start charging for storage, theres probably mor info on the hmrc website.