Page 1 of 2
I am having trouble finding sweep picking exercises on this site, NOT LESSONS. If some one could point me in the right direction or supply some of their favorite sweeping progressions with me that would be really cool!

I searched on youtube and I found a neat exercise that anyone could try.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0psPOgzQt0&feature=fvw
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
exercise?
WTF? why do you want that? its just a waste of time.
Go practice your sweeps SLOWLY and GRADUALLY pick up speed.
and truth....5 string sweeps are easier that 3.
At least for me.
Make sure you can hear each note nice and clear...
believe me the only exercise you really want are warm ups in genral...
sigh. most useless response I ever read. seriously can someone post some of their favorite arpeggios that can be swept.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Last edited by Calibunga! at Oct 7, 2009,
Ah I found the exercise thread.

Stalestrings, I hope you were kidding though.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
ok dude ,ur crazy for sweeps ???play the song "No boundaries " of Michael angelo , theres bunch of sweeps on that song!!! \m/
A few basic sweeps to start you off:
E minor arpeggio:

E||-----------15-19p15---------
B||-------17--------------17-----
G||--16-----------------------16-

E major arpeggio:

E||----------16-19p16---------
B||------17--------------17-----
G||--16----------------------16-

F diminished arpeggio:

E||----------16-19p16---------
B||------18--------------18-----
G||--19----------------------19-

They're all played with the picking pattern: down, down, down, up, pull off, up, up.

I got started with those and found it pretty easy. There are other shapes (built off other inversions) but those are some pretty basic ones.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Idk how advanced of sweeps you're looking for, but heres some ones I think sound good

|-----------------7-12p7--------------------------|
|--------------8-----------8-----------------------|
|-----------9-----------------9--------------------|
|--------9-----------------------9-----------------|
|-7-10----------------------------10-------------|
|---------------------------------------------------|

And

|--------------7-10p8p7-------------|
|-----------8--------------8-----------|
|--------7--------------------7--------|
|-----9-------------------------9------|
|-10------------------------------10--|
|---------------------------------------|

Pretty simple, but fun to play. Hope that helps
I hate my sig
wow that first one is definitely something ill be practicing. thanks a lot.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
seriously though,I was just saying that because when i first started sweep picking i just spent most of my time online trying to find excercises patterns and a bunch of other things instead of actually practicing....
try all the paterns that the other UGers suggested those should be pretty simple.
believe me i do just about all of those just different keys and they helped me pick up speed.
Your assuming that I'm a beginner. Its typical that there is always someone who is prejudice and condescending in UG music forums (even though your trying to help).
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Quote by Calibunga!
Your assuming that I'm a beginner. Its typical that there is always someone who is prejudice and condescending in UG music forums (even though your trying to help).

Now, I'm not trying to sound rude, but you pretty obviously are a beginner at sweeping if you didn't recognize that QuantumMechanix's first shape is just a minor shape, and probably the single most common 5-string sweep picking shape ever used. stalestrings is absolutely right in that you should be practicing sweeps shape by shape, using rote memorization to get a multitude of shapes under your fingers first.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Calibunga!

To be fair, I assumed you were new to sweeping too (as you didn't state otherwise). Hence why I posted simple 3 string sweeps.

Ah well, hope these help:
E minor:

E||--------------------------15-19t24p19p15----------
B||----------------------17------------------17-----------
G||------------------16-------------------------16--------
D||--------------17--------------------------------17-----
A||----------19---------------------------------------19--
E||--15h19------------------------------------------------

E Major:

E||------------------16-19p16--------------
B||--------------17-------------17-----------
G||----------16--------------------16--------
D||------18----------------------------18-----
A||--19------------------------------------19-

F Diminished

E||----------------------16-19p16----------------------
B||------------------18------------18------------------
G||---------16h19--------------------19p16---------
D||-----18-----------------------------------18-----
A||--20------------------------------------------20-
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
your assuming that I dont know the basics. I am insulted. You obviously missed the point of why I asked UG'ers to post their favorite sweeping progressions. Obviously I can make up any little thing I want, but I posed an open ended discussion.

Now scoot along little one. This is the big boy table.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Quote by Calibunga!
your assuming that I dont know the basics. I am insulted. You obviously missed the point of why I asked UG'ers to post their favorite sweeping progressions. Obviously I can make up any little thing I want, but I posed an open ended discussion.

Cut the attitude or no one is going to help you. You aren't a "big boy" here, because this is the Internet. No one gives a crap who you are unless you're Marty Friedman or something.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Cut the attitude or no one is going to help you. You aren't a "big boy" here, because this is the Internet. No one gives a crap who you are unless you're Marty Friedman or something.

To get respect you have to give. Now I understand that internet bullying is not tolerated on ultimate guitar forums, but it is down right insulting for someone to criticize me when they have not a clue on my performance then patronize to me the humble beginnings.

You want measurements? I can play 25 to 30 (on a good day) crystal clear notes per second when I sweep which I am damn proud of. I simply make a UG thread that discusses different types of sweeping exercises and the first response is ridiculing me for bad habit practicing.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Last edited by Calibunga! at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by Calibunga!
To get respect you have to give. Now I understand that internet bullying is not tolerated on ultimate guitar forums, but it is down right insulting for someone to criticize me when they have not a clue on my performance.

You want measurements? I can play 25 to 30 (on a good day) crystal clear notes per second when I sweep which I am damn proud of. I simply make a UG thread that discusses different types of sweeping exercises and the first response is ridiculing me for bad habit practicing.

You mean to tell me that you are possibly one of the fastest guitarists alive (behind Fareri and Batio) and you need us to tell you what sweep picking passages to play?

He obviously did not know that. When someone posts a thread like this, any rational person would assume that you are learning the technique, not have it mastered to an inhuman degree.

Every single post I've seen from you has been extremely arrogant. Give us some clips or a video before you spout off on your skill.
Quote by dudetheman

Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Oct 8, 2009,
lets hold hands shall we? bring your mouse to the scroll on the right side of your web browser. browse until you find the first post. I want you to (this is tricky) use your eyes and find the bolded text where says "not lessons."

Its not very fun to get patronized is it? On a serious note let me reveal my music philosophy which is.
"If you value your guitar playing, then you should get expert lessons from real life instructors. Not the internet where teenagers badger all day"
Now you know a little bit more about me.

I did not include my skill level because I do not need to prove anything to anyone but myself. Guitar is a hobby of mine where I like many, release stress. I don't know how you managed me to go off topic to what the thread is about. I truly am a sincere person and I do want to make friends.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Quote by Calibunga!
1)lets hold hands shall we? bring your mouse to the scroll on the right side of your web browser. browse until you find the first post. I want you to (this is tricky) use your eyes and find the bolded text where says "not lessons."

2)Its not very fun to get patronized is it? On a serious note let me reveal my music philosophy which is.
"If you value your guitar playing, then you should get expert lessons from real life instructors. Not the internet where teenagers badger all day"
Now you know a little bit more about me.

3)I did not include my skill level because I do not need to prove anything to anyone but myself. Guitar is a hobby of mine where I like many, release stress. I don't know how you managed me to go off topic to what the thread is about. I truly am a sincere person and I do want to make friends.

1) You did however, say you wanted exercises. Most people will naturally assume that someone who needs exercises in such a field is not proficient at it yet and needs help.

2) If that's your philosophy, why are you asking for exercises from teenagers on the Internet?

3) If you are a sincere person who wants to make friends, quit being a jerk. Telling people to get lost because this is "the big boy table" is not friendly behavior. You didn't provide your skill level, so we had no idea what to tell you. I mean, for heaven's sake, you said you were going to be spending a while practicing one of the single most common sweeping shapes ever. What does that say about your knowledge of sweep picking for anyone other than you?
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Now, I'm not trying to sound rude, but you pretty obviously are a beginner at sweeping if you didn't recognize that QuantumMechanix's first shape is just a minor shape, and probably the single most common 5-string sweep picking shape ever used. stalestrings is absolutely right in that you should be practicing sweeps shape by shape, using rote memorization to get a multitude of shapes under your fingers first.

no I did realize it was the moment I played it. I was simply giving him a positive response to his contribution. It must be a pain in the ass to write out those tabs on a word processor.

-edit- to above:

well because we are now transitioning this conversation into a systematic argument I will first address your post.

1) I'm curious to what other people play. sue me?
2) Because in my philosophy I specifically said "expert lessons" and not "expert advice" or "expert guitar exercises" makes this claim to not make any sense.
3) Your correct, my apologies to him. I was unclear when I said "no lessons" . I should have started the thread by saying:

I am a curious guitarist looking for fun ways to continue my sweep picking. I have a lot of fun developing my own crazy creations but I want to hold an open discussion about what other people have done. I am not looking for lessons because I already understand the importance of "good habit" guitar practicing and it is something that should be acknowledged by the forum.

and speaking of habits, you have the worst paraphrasing ever. Highlight where I would be spending a while on the minor arpeggio and I'll give you a cookie. "definitely" does not constitute as "a long time" but something I'll be incorporating as an addition to the basic minor shape that I already know.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Last edited by Calibunga! at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by Calibunga!

It's pretty clear you don't know the basics. You don't even know the most basic arpeggio shapes there are. There's no way you're sweeping that fast anything approaching clearly.

There is no big boy table here and I suggest you treat other members with a bit more respect when they are clearly trying to help you.
Quote by Calibunga!
To get respect you have to give.
You might want to try practicing a bit of what you preach kiddo
Quote by Freepower
It's pretty clear you don't know the basics. You don't even know the most basic arpeggio shapes there are. There's no way you're sweeping that fast anything approaching clearly.

There is no big boy table here and I suggest you treat other members with a bit more respect when they are clearly trying to help you.

tooshay
Quote by Calibunga!
and speaking of habits, you have the worst paraphrasing ever. Highlight where I would be spending a while on the minor arpeggio and I'll give you a cookie. "definitely" does not constitute as "a long time" but something I'll be incorporating as an addition to the basic minor shape that I already know.

Show me where I said "a long time."
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by technical death
calibunga cut the crap

your a noob and a ***

This was a tad bit uncalled for mate. In reference to the topic creator, I would suggest rather than looking merely within the scope of exercises, you should take the grand opportunity to learn some music that involves sweep picking. On another note, could you perhaps post a clip, as the only sweeping I've heard that is at your supposed speed is Batio and Fareri.
Typing in purple makes me look a bit like an elitist. I highly enjoy it.
Alright, I was going to try and help but you are being a complete douche. Now I will point out that you could maybe go to the sticky that is called ultimate exercises thread. Found here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1091788&page=1

and actually learn some parts of the songs that will give you what you want. Now I know you said you found the thread earlier but I'm still going to bring it up. Don't write of using parts of songs as exercises.

Edit: I notice I have submitted some 'help' but it isn't specific so it doesn't count
Last edited by Nacho Cheese! at Oct 9, 2009,
Quote by Unquestionable
This was a tad bit uncalled for mate. In reference to the topic creator, I would suggest rather than looking merely within the scope of exercises, you should take the grand opportunity to learn some music that involves sweep picking. On another note, could you perhaps post a clip, as the only sweeping I've heard that is at your supposed speed is Batio and Fareri.

I wish I could upload a video. This is the arpeggio shape that I am most comfortable playing:

----------------10--15--10---------------------
-------------12-------------12------------------
----------12-------------------12---------------
------ 12-------------------------12------------
---14--------------------------------14---------
--------------------------------------------------

Of course I gave it with the root note B but it can be played anywhere. It is derived from the minor scale: (1) 2 (3) 4 5 (6) 7 --next octave-->(1) 2 (3) 4 5 (6) 7
The fact that there is a bar in the sweep, gives my fretting hand little movement therefor giving me ability to play faster. If you were to play this shape up and down 3 times, you can count that there are 31 notes being played. By setting my metronome to 60 beats per minute, I start with 11 notes per second (the pattern is played once) and gradually increase in increments of 5 until I reach 31 notes in a single second. This may sound like I'm cheating because I'm only playing one pattern throughout. It is very important that the notes are phrased perfectly within the second and so on. This is just one of MANY things I practice so please dont think im a sweepoholic.

Now this does not constitute me as an amazing guitarist because I only presented one application of my sweeping technique, which isn't demonstrated in a song either.

-edit-

Now this is very off topic to what the discussion is supposed to be about. It should not matter how fast or how slow I can play any arpeggio. That is not what is being discussed. I wanted to open a forum for people to share their favorite exercises. I did not state my background because it doesn't matter. I feel that the atmosphere of technical guitar talk sub-threads is that the thread starter asks a question, then the moderators lecture about it. I did not ask for that in this thread. I simply wanted enthusiastic guitarists to demonstrate their favorite licks. What I stated in my opening post is that I do not want lessons. The first response was not only off topic, but he was advising me on how to learn sweeping. I clearly said I did not need to learn how to sweep. If this offends you then I'm sorry.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Last edited by Calibunga! at Oct 9, 2009,
I wish I could upload a video. This is the arpeggio shape that I am most comfortable playing:

----------------10--15--10---------------------
-------------12-------------12------------------
----------12-------------------12---------------
------ 12-------------------------12------------
---14--------------------------------14---------
--------------------------------------------------

Of course I gave it with the root note B but it can be played anywhere. It is derived from the minor scale: (1) 2 (3) 4 5 (6) 7 --next octave-->(1) 2 (3) 4 5 (6) 7

It's a G major arpeggio (first inversion, if you want to get specific). You'll find that the vast, vast majority of people who have a clue will be very difficult to convince that there's ever really going to be a reason to refer to that as a B minor anything as it's pretty clearly a superimposed triad in almost any circumstance.

Quote by Calibunga!
once again - freepower - your assuming.

No, I'm deducing.

If I came up to you and said

"Hey, I'm a builder and I just noticed your house has seriously ****ed up walls!"

And you look at your house, it seems okay, and you ask -

"Sorry, what do you mean?"

"It looks like you have two orange tile walls that are slanted on top of the normal walls! Man, I could probably have built this all correctly, faster and just as well as the worlds best builders!"

You would probably swiftly deduce that I was a pretty bad builder, or at best someone who is well-meaningly completely ignorant.

Bear in mind my analogy does not include any of the uncalled for rude remarks and put downs you've been laying at the feet of the people who are trying to help you. I suggest a total attitude rework and an examination of your "beginnerhood" and your knowledge of "the basics". A few apologies to the people you've been insulting wouldn't go amiss either.

And regarding your edit -

We have threads for those wanting to share their licks and exercises. In fact, we're so organised and helpful that we like to keep all of them in their own threads so that they are easily accessed and enjoyed by all without having to sort through dozens of tiny threads of repetition.
thank you for correcting me. But I could not possibly see how you can deduce that I am a beginner from my opening post.

Im about to cry buddy.... I asked if any one could point me in the right direction to where the exercise threads are! Its like no one can read any more !!! what the hell is going on!!!!

-edit-

I can predict the future, your going to point the the sticky threads with out reading the post I made on page one saying I already found it.

-edit- again. excuse me freepower but I have an attitude to people for a reason. For some weird reason, people are having trouble reading what I write. Im getting a headache now. If there is a god.. then may god help us.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
thank you for correcting me. But I could not possibly see how you can deduce that I am a beginner from my opening post.

No-one assumed you were a beginner until you showed you didn't know some of the most basic shapes there were - and since then every attempt you've made to disprove them has shown you to be one.

Im about to cry buddy.... I asked if any one could point me in the right direction to where the exercise threads are! Its like no one can read any more !!! what the hell is going on!!!!

-edit-

I can predict the future, your going to point the the sticky threads with out reading the post I made on page one saying I already found it.

... if you already found it, that's it. That's the exercises thread. I read that post, btw. Give me some credit.

-edit- again. excuse me freepower but I have an attitude to people for a reason. For some weird reason, people are having trouble reading what I write. Im getting a headache now. If there is a god.. then may god help us.

Once again, "the" exercise thread.

What have people "not read"?
Ah.. but the first response was a "deduction" that I was a "beginner", hence the attitude to that specific person. I just find it very condescending that anyone can just label someone "beginner" or "novice." I have spent a considerable amount of time playing guitar to the point where I built up a lot of pride for. At one point in my life, I had to decide if I wanted to continue my musical education through college or find something else. I chose psychology and medicine - I barely have time to practice guitar.

in my defense I do know basic arpeggio shapes and how to structure arpeggios.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
Ah.. but the first response was a "deduction" that I was a "beginner", hence the attitude to that specific person. I just find it very condescending that anyone can just label someone "beginner" or "novice." I have spent a considerable amount of time playing guitar to the point where I built up a lot of pride for. At one point in my life, I had to decide if I wanted to continue my musical education through college or find something else. I chose psychology and medicine - I barely have time to practice guitar.

in my defense I do know basic arpeggio shapes and how to structure arpeggios.

Sure.

In the meantime, don't give members such attitude. If you don't want people to assume you're a novice, either stay quiet on the subjects you're not sure about or brush up on your skills.

--------------15-19-t24-p19-p15------------
-----------17-------------------17---------
--------16-------------------------16------
----17--------------------------------17---
-19--------------------------------------19
-------------------------------------------

Really fun sweep. E minor.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by Calibunga!
Highlight where I would be spending a while on the minor arpeggio and I'll give you a cookie

Quote by Calibunga!
wow that first one is definitely something ill be practicing. thanks a lot.

Noun

Singular
practice

Plural
practices

practice (plural practices)

1. Repetition of an activity to improve skill.
He will need lots of practice with those lines before he performs them.

2. The ongoing pursuit of a craft or profession, particularly in medicine or the fine arts.
She ran a thriving medical practice.

3. The observance of religious duties which a Church requires of its members.
4. A customary action, habit, or behavior; a manner or routine.
It is the usual practice of employees there to wear neckties only when meeting with customers.
It is good practice to check each door and window before leaving.

5. Actual operation or experiment, in contrast to theory.
That may work in theory, but will it work in practice?

If you were to practice something, you would therefore repeat it quite a lot. And practice wouldn't really be practice if you only did it for say 5 minutes, therefore it can be deduced that you would spend time on that minor shape, seeing as you said how you would definately be practicing. Idiot.
Where's my cookie.
The general shapes have already been listed but too add a musical touch, experiment with progressions of your own. For example take the d harmonic minor scale and harmonize it. Use the chords you derive from that scale and make a progression. It helps with "exercises" and you can have fun while doing it.

I usually outline chords.

-----------------3----------------------|
---------------7------------------------|
-------------9--------------------------|
----------10----------------------5-8-7-|
-------11----------------------4-6------|
----15------------------------6---------|

I omitted the bass, but it's a II-V progression in melodic minor, the II being Db half-diminished arpeggio in F melodic minor, and the V being a G7 altered dominant in Ab melodic minor.
Kudos if you can play it at any notable tempo.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Page 1 of 2