Hey Pit, I'm considering upgrading from my current laptop. I figured I'd come ask for suggestions. I need the following:
1) I need to be able to type on it (No netbooks)
2) It needs to have at least 3GB of ram. More is better, but I'm sick of having 1.5
3) Needs to have a non-integrated graphics chip. I'm hoping to run a game or two on it (nothing more taxing than Bioshock, so it doesn't need to be epically powerful)

Other than that, I can't really think of any other NEEDS, but keep in mind price is a factor, as is weight. I don't want to be hauling a ten ton brick around campus with me.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
judging by his ram requirements, and gaming requirement, I'm guessing you want windows?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
The Dell page is awesome. You can really customize the base models. I have an Inspiron 15 buffed out on the way .
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
whats your budget? I'd suggest an Asus laptop if you want windows, and nothing less than an upgraded macbook pro if you want mac.

http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=23&l2=127&l3=0&l4=0&model=1641&modelmenu=1

this is a fantastic computer. 15.4 inch screen, core 2 duo processor, specific "gaming modes", very light, very fast, very powerful, and Asus is one of the best brands in the business. its price is also fantastic at $800 - $1000 depending on where you shop.

im a bit of an Asus fanboy when it comes to PC, so i really wouldn't recommend any other brands. i HATE pretty much every other brand, especially HP.

i am however an even bigger mac fanboy, and would still recommend the macbook pro over the asus (personal preference)

Quote by Venice King
Buy an Acer! They rock!

i hope you're trolling him.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 7, 2009,
Buy an Acer! They rock!
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
You could easily put in a video card on your laptop if it isn't too old, and as long as your motherboard has open slots for RAM which it should have 2 more then just buy a stick of 2GB ram. Remember that in Win XP only 4GB of ram are recognized unless you buy the 64-bit version.
Quote by skaterskagg1
ANYTHING BUT TOSHIBA! Trust me, do yourself a favor and get anything but a Toshiba.

i'd take toshiba over Acer, HP, Gateway, benQ, etc. i know about the motherboard frying issues, but you can do way worse
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i'd take toshiba over Acer, HP, Gateway, benQ, etc. i know about the motherboard frying issues, but you can do way worse

All I know is that my Toshiba was been one problem after another.
Quote by skaterskagg1
All I know is that my Toshiba was been one problem after another.

that was my experience with HP. every HP product i've ever bought has been a complete POS from beginning to end, from desktops, to laptops, to printers, the whole lot. i've sworn off their stuff.

you pay a little extra for the high end stuff like Asus, Apple, Falcon Northwest (a LOT extra for Falcon NW) but my god is it worth it. If you're buying things like computers, go big or go home. cheap crap will always frustrate you to no end.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
you pay a little extra for the high end stuff like Asus, Apple, Falcon Northwest (a LOT extra for Falcon NW) but my god is it worth it. If you're buying things like computers, go big or go home. cheap crap will always frustrate you to no end.
You get what you pay for.
As it is now, I'm rocking a Sony Vaio NS, I had an Inspiron 15 before and all it was was one problem after another. CPU, Hard Drive, Video Card. all within a year and a half of purchase.

I'd prefer Windows, but that's just because I'm used to it. I'd try a Mac though.

Budget is max $1200.

Quote by bv310
As it is now, I'm rocking a Sony Vaio NS, I had an Inspiron 15 before and all it was was one problem after another. CPU, Hard Drive, Video Card. all within a year and a half of purchase.

I'd prefer Windows, but that's just because I'm used to it. I'd try a Mac though.

Budget is max $1200.

forget the mac then. my macbook cost me $1300

have a look at the Asus C90 i posted. you'd have money left over to buy some upgrades, accessories, programs, etc. and you'll still have a computer that will last longer and out perform anything else in its price range
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 7, 2009,
Beauty. It auto-overclocks too. That's nifty.

Thanks, Shinysides. Any other suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Any idea on where to buy that C90? I can't find a good retailer anywhere.

Last edited by bv310 at Oct 7, 2009,
a laptop is a portable computer
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Quote by bv310
Beauty. It auto-overclocks too. That's nifty.

Thanks, Shinysides. Any other suggestions are welcome.

EDIT: Any idea on where to buy that C90? I can't find a good retailer anywhere.

you may be able to buy it straight from Asus. you wont find them in places like best buy or anything.
I'm Canadian, so the closest I've found is The Source by Circuit City. They don't carry the C90, though

Quote by bv310
I'm Canadian, so the closest I've found is The Source by Circuit City. They don't carry the C90, though

im canadian to, thats why i know they dont carry them in any of the major stores. trust me i've looked lol.
Damn. Stupid companies not crossing the border. To ebay!

Quote by skaterskagg1
ANYTHING BUT TOSHIBA! Trust me, do yourself a favor and get anything but a Toshiba.

Toshiba's r awesome! I prefer them much more over brands like Acer, HP, Lenovo and stuff. My Satellite A200 is almost two years old and has 2 GB of RAM, and an Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 with 128 Mb video memory. Its not that impressive compared to the specs of some laptops out now but it works like a wonder and supports games like Call of Duty 4 and BioShock. Haven't had any problems with it at all. I have a few friends and family who also use Toshiba's n they havent had any problems either. Maybe u just had bad luck?

OT: The Asus c90 is a great choice. Its more customisable than the toshiba's and would have been my first choice if I found any
Why do we even have the computer thread? If this was a relationship issue everyone would be screaming: "RELATIONSHIP THREAD!!!11!111!!" and reporting left right and centre.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Why do we even have the computer thread? If this was a relationship issue everyone would be screaming: "RELATIONSHIP THREAD!!!11!111!!" and reporting left right and centre.

Computer thread is crap. Relationship thread is not.

TS, have a look at some Lenovo Thinkpads. Often overlooked but I love mine.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Anyone got any ideas for where to get a C90 short of flying to the States? Or any other suggestions?

Not that I can find on their website.

i book a macbook at the weekend and its awesome but only 2gb of ram :/
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Computer thread is crap. Relationship thread is not.

TS, have a look at some Lenovo Thinkpads. Often overlooked but I love mine.

This guy is right. I have a T500 with 4 gb of ram, a 2.8 ghz dual core, and an ATI Radeon 3650. It may not look very pretty but it's built like a tank and is very fast. It'd run you about $1250 for those specs too.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Quote by skaterskagg1

Why the **** not? I'm typing this on a toshiba which basically meets all his needs, runs games just fine, and hasn't had a single problem. I've even overheated the thing once (due to my own stupidity, not anything with the hardware), and it still runs fine.

I'm in Canada too, but after a quick search it looks like my particular laptop isn't found here anymore, though it is in Europe...