I've been looking at this guitar for a while now and was wondering if anybody who owned one, or something similar to it, would be willing to share some of their experiences with it. Here's the musician friends page, which contains very few reviews.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Mamba-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516478

It's sounds like its a really nice guitar, but would like to get more knowledge on it.

Thanks very much!
I own 2 very nice Dean guitars- both electrics- that I love.

However, I probably wouldn't buy a Dean acoustic, given that there are makers like Ovation and Yamaha in the same price range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I own 2 very nice Dean guitars- both electrics- that I love.

However, I probably wouldn't buy a Dean acoustic, given that there are makers like Ovation and Yamaha in the same price range.

I disagree. I had a Yamaha and did not like the sound quality, some say it's muddy my description it's basically a muted sounded. So I hit the store with the hopes of finding an affordable Taylor then I found that Dean but in Mexican Sunburst and the sound quality for what I was going for is SO MUCH better!!! Play it to be certain assuming that is an option.
To be honest most people do not like The Dean acoustics, I personally think that the Tradition series and the Exoticas are pretty nice. I have not played Mamba though.
Quote by Silent_Crow13
To be honest most people do not like The Dean acoustics...

Why is that? Dean never even crossed my mind, then I picked it up and heard the sound that was coming out of it, and even compared it to a Taylor and still liked the sound of the Dean more. So really curious why is that?
^ It's because Deans and Ibanez alike are focused on looks. Not build. The build quality on Deans and Ibanez are actually pretty terrible, whereas the Yamahas are probably the best you'll find for $200-$300USD.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
When you say quality, in what way? Longevity, product, what? It's looks good and sounds great so as of right now I don't see anything bad.
i've never played a dean that sounded as good as a solid top yamaha, but i haven't tried this model. i'm off to gc today, so if i find one, i'll give it a test drive and report back. it is a good deal - solid top AND electronics for $299.

fingerguy - if you had a yamaha that sounded muddy, chances are you have an all-laminate one, one of the thinline models or one with other issues. i've found yamaha and seagull to be the best-sounding $400 and under guitars, and i tried a lot of them.
Last edited by patticake at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by fingerguy
When you say quality, in what way? Longevity, product, what? It's looks good and sounds great so as of right now I don't see anything bad.

Quality... as in exactly that. They're not built with much care. Usually the joints still have glue all over the place. The Ibanez laminates are like 1/4cm thick tops. Electronics breaking down straight from factory is also a common problem. Deans are very much in the same camp. Quality control is generally an issue.

I don't say these things because I want to put anyone down. If you like your guitar then all the more power to you. You may very well have gotten a better built than normal guitar, but I'm just calling it like I see it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
With any acoustic guitar, its a matter of personal taste.

Ovations are bright- VERY bright. But some say they don't sound like "real" acoustic guitars. IOW, they don't have that "woody" sound that some consider essential. I have one and love it, though.

Dean Acoustics, IME, are either thinlines without much projection, or very, very boomy. IOW, they can project a lot of sound. However, volume isn't everything.

My Yamaha classical has a nice traditional tone, but it is in no way a "loud" guitar. Its fit and finish are fantastic. That said, I'd have preferred a Seagull, but at the time, Godin was having production issues, and the Seagull I wanted had a 6 month backlog.

My Jon Kammerer acoustic is technically a thinline, but because of the parabolic shape, it actually projects a bit more like a mid-bodied acoustic. (http://jonkammererguitars.com/jkghtml_006.htm)

The real first question you should ask yourself isn't what brand you should buy, but rather how you plan to use the thing.

If you're planning on primarily plugging in your acoustic, a thinline is just fine.

If you're planning on rockin' out at the campfire in the middle of nowhere, you want either a midbody or possibly a travel guitar.

If you're going to be a singer-songwriter in a cafe somewhere, you might want some kind of jumbo to rule the room, unless you're also going to amp it.

(BTW, Jon K also has an acoustic that is designed to minimize feedback when playing through an amp: http://jonkammererguitars.com/jkghtml_011.htm)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by captivate
Quality... as in exactly that. They're not built with much care. Usually the joints still have glue all over the place. The Ibanez laminates are like 1/4cm thick tops. Electronics breaking down straight from factory is also a common problem. Deans are very much in the same camp. Quality control is generally an issue.

I don't say these things because I want to put anyone down. If you like your guitar then all the more power to you. You may very well have gotten a better built than normal guitar, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

True

True

True

Very much true

And once again, true.

I'd also like to add that generally the electronics in Dean, Ibanez, and Fender acoustics, to my ears, sound awful.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by patticake
i've never played a dean that sounded as good as a solid top yamaha, but i haven't tried this model. i'm off to gc today, so if i find one, i'll give it a test drive and report back. it is a good deal - solid top AND electronics for $299.

fingerguy - if you had a yamaha that sounded muddy, chances are you have an all-laminate one, one of the thinline models or one with other issues. i've found yamaha and seagull to be the best-sounding $400 and under guitars, and i tried a lot of them.

Yeah, it was full laminated. It was one of those package deals that come out of a carboard box with the lame case, tuner, CD, and so on. That is probably why. Oh well.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Last edited by fingerguy at Oct 9, 2009,
i went to several guitar stores but none had the exact guitar. i did try some deans with solid tops and they didn't sound exactly like "serious" guitars, but better than laminates and sort of mellow compared to other brands. the ones i tried were very easy on the fingers, btw.