hey does anyone have any tips or exercises i can do to help speed up my downpicking. i need to be faster for riffs where alternate isnt really an option, like master of puppets kinda stuff.
Well, pretty much doing it.
That's all. Practise makes perfect.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
As far as I'm aware MOP is alternate picked. Practicing your alternate picking would probably be more benificial to you. Failing that, chromatics and a metronome maybe?
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
I would practice down picking some drop tuned riffs. Just cause its easier to do it with just one finger fast. A shadows fall riff I used to love is from the song 'The power of I and I'. Its just straight 8th notes. Just build up your speed doing stuff like that. RIFF:

D|------------------4-3------------------
A|4-3-0-1-2-1-0-2-1-4-3-0-1-2-1-0
D|4-3-0-1-2-1-0------4-3-0-1-2-1-0
I remember when I practiced the intro to master of puppets. I thought the "proper" way to play the song was to down pick the

------3------4--------5
-1-2----1-2----1-2----

and so on.. It wasn't until my guitar teacher showed me that alternative picking and economic picking is (A) faster and (B) comfortable. So I started practicing alternate picking and I learned that my guitar teacher was right!

Fast down picking causes way to much stress on the hand and wrist.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
For metal, downpicking is better because it gives a stronger heavier tone, rather than alternate picking. Master of Puppets is actually all downpicked, besides the solo obviously. I would pick a riff from the song and play it to a metronome day by day until you can play it fullspeed.
Quote by tpot06
As far as I'm aware MOP is alternate picked. Practicing your alternate picking would probably be more benificial to you. Failing that, chromatics and a metronome maybe?

wrong
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by dNWaKE
wrong

If you cannot make a strong sound from alternate picking then your doing it wrong
sorry I could not resist myself. If you look at the physics of how to make a string vibrate, why should it matter if your down stroking it or up stroking it when it is the "heaviness" you are after.
<3<3<3MILKSHAKE<3<3<3
I remember Reading an interview with James hetfield in a guitar magazine where he said himself that MOP was alternate picked andthat he felt sorry for kids trying to downpick metallica songs because they usually always alternate pick. Don't be a **** dnwake.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Quote by tpot06
I remember Reading an interview with James hetfield in a guitar magazine where he said himself that MOP was alternate picked andthat he felt sorry for kids trying to downpick metallica songs because they usually always alternate pick. Don't be a **** dnwake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sXk5tHbqA

just watch the footage he downpicks it. And to be honest it isnt that hard to get up to speed.Its just practice and maintaining that practice for atleast some time. I dont play that fast at all normally, but just because i practiced it diciplined I can downpick that speed anytime I want. And I mostly play pop/rock now a days.

The way I learned it, and btw I learned alternate picking (which is way way way more usefull imo) the same way. Is by doing spiderwalks. This is xtremely boring, so you need the dicipline to do this. I think I run spiderwalks for hours doing downpick and alterante picking. Getting it like 99,99% perfect and then increasing the bpm. And I can tell you, at that time the 200 bpm -210 bpm (210=mop) is a pain in the ass. Once you get 210 perfectly (and this will tike warming up speed for about 1-2 hours before doing it first time) you need to maintain that training for about at least a week. Thats how I did it. Hope this helps.
i understand the tonal differences in a down pick... i play heavy metal but i feel that exclusive down picking is stupid and just painful. i find my picking method to have just the same sound.

|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------7---6---5---------------------------------------|
|--------------------7---6---5---------------------------------------|
|-----7-----6--------5---4---3---------------------------------------|
|-0-0---0-0---0-0---------------------0-0-7-0-0-6-0-0-5-0-4-0-3-0-2--|
  d d u d d u d d    d   d   d        d d u d d u d d u d u d u d u

|---------------------------------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----|
  d d u d d u d d u d d u d d d u 

basically you just up pick the notes which aren't like the home bass note in a metal riff.... if that kinda makes sense. in this riff, the open e is the "home base note".

note: home base note is a term i just made up for the explanation.
So many threads of downpicking.

Just keep practising it but make sure it isn't sloppy.

Also to the guy who said master isnt downpicked..

Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by tpot06

From what i've read james always said that he loves the sound of downpicking and tries to downpick as much as possible. If you check live videos they use alot of downpicking. I also think it's more fun to downpick

if you gonna practice downpicking and wanna play metallica i would say

Creeping death -> The end of the line -> Master of puppets

great downpicking \m/
Last edited by vismbr at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by tpot06

James Hetfield downpicks everything he is physically capable of downpicking i.e. everything short of 16ths at high tempos ala Whiplash. Master of Puppets is definitely downpicked for the vast majority of the song. You either misread or were reading an interview with someone else, sorry.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Just because he plays it down picked does not mean we all should. haha

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC. Just practice a bunch of punk rock songs and stuff. That is all easy down picking right there.