I own 2 basses a P bass and a Warlock. I don't enjoy playing my P bass. I'm working on making my P Bass more enjoyable, by giving it a new neck and pickups and such, or just buying a Jazz Bass or something. When I fix/ or buy a new bass then I would like to have a variety in tones between my basses, so I was thinking of tuning my Warlock to Drop B (for Mudvayne mostly)

I have a 2 questions about Drop B and the strings used for Drop B.

First, what guage strings would you need to achieve Drop B and still have good tention, I've herd of people just buying 5 string sets and ditching the G string, but I don't think you could tune up the higher 3 strings to F#,B,E.

Second, if I have my bass tuned to Drop B will I be able to tune up a half step (to Drop C) from time to time, or tune down a full step (to Drop A).
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
125, I believe, for the B.

Tuning the B up or down shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as there's a good set-up.
That answers one question, but what guages would I need, and how would I get these guages? Do they sell drop B sets?
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
get a 5er and drop the E string.

or, more sensibly, drop the G.

or, even more sensibly, trade that P bass for a 5 string. Ibanez makes some good ones.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
My p bass isn't worth anything, I wouldn't be able to trade it.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
My p bass isn't worth anything, I wouldn't be able to trade it.

why not?
And I use 130 for my B string
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Well it was my first bass and it came in a set... it was $100 for it and an amp and such. It's short scale sounds like crap, and has the frets ripped out and filled with stuff. I;m planning on buying new pickups, a new neck, and paint... just make it look better. By then I wont want a different bass.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
Well it was my first bass and it came in a set... it was $100 for it and an amp and such. It's short scale sounds like crap, and has the frets ripped out and filled with stuff. I;m planning on buying new pickups, a new neck, and paint... just make it look better. By then I wont want a different bass.

Wait...so you plan on spending $400 or so on parts, and then you were planning on doing probably like $1000 worth of work by yourself (that youve presumably never attempted before) to "fix" a bass that can hardly be called a bass to begin with?

You should just buy a 5 string ibanez. Theyre only like $600
Just on your question of string gauges for the low B; I've found that saddle height at the bridge has a greater effect on string tension than the gauge of the string itself. I found the low B on my MIM Jazz was too floppy with both .125 and .130 gauge strings, but as soon as I raised the action a little by lifting the saddle, it cleared the issue right up.
How may The National D help you waste your time?