It's sort of like a treble control. Sort of controls the 'shimmer'? Just mess with it. You'll hear it.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
it adjusts the width of the treble frequencies i believe, something to that affect. Im not positive exactly, but there's only one way to find out. play around with it till you figure it out.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
its a tone knob for a frequency control EVEN higher than treble. think of it like controlling how much sound value you hold in a band. the higher the presence, the more trebly it is and therefore you have more "prescence".
Presence: Increases or decreases the frequency range of the treble knob- basically, low presence sounds like you have a blanket over your amp, and increasing the presence will sound like you're gradually removing it.

From the sticky, which everyone should read before asking a question..
it controls the ultra high frequencies of amp

edit: sorry not tone
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Last edited by lostjesse at Oct 7, 2009,
It's a counter to the gain knob. If you notice, when you have all your EQ at noon and you raise your gain to get those more distorted sounds, or overdriven sounds, your tone gets a lot more low end/bass.

The presence boosts the high end to balance out this extra low end and bring out your sound from the muddiness, it's effectively like an extra tone control after you switch to the lead sound.
not too much tone differences but when the whole band is really loud, turn up your presence and your sound will cut through a lot better.
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Increasing presence decreases negative feedback in the mid to upper frequency ranges. Negative feedback reduces gain so essentially it boosts the gain in that frequency range. It's like a tone control but achieves it's function in a different way.
Everyone missed the fact that the presence dial is a poweramp treble control.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by nightraven
high mids, not high treble

thankyou, this is one of my petpieves...

know your frequencies people, it's where your tone lives and dies.