Hi all,

Just picked up a use Epiphone Les Paul Special II. The problem is, the moment I plug it in to my amp, the feedback is horrendous. I mean it hurts my ears horrendous. You can't play any notes because the feedback/screetch/scream/hum is so horrible. It's that, "you got too close to the speaker with your microphone" feedback scream. The type that at when you're at an event and it happens to the speaker everyone yells, "OW" and grabs their ears bad. The guitar is completely unplayable due to this.

I have a couple other guitars that are just fine, so it's not the amp. In your experience, what can cause this? Faulty pickups? It screetches with either pickup. Wiring?

Any ideas? It's a beautiful guitar and I'd have to to have to try and get my money back. In case anyone was going to ask, I bought it on ebay, sign unseen from a selling with a good reputation, so I couldn't try before I bought it.
1. Volume knobs

2. Mute the strings at the 1st fret when not playing.

If those dont work, then.. I dunno what to tell you.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
It is the same sound that you get if you only plug the cord into the guitar half way...almost like it's not fully grounded if that makes sense (I'm definitely not an electrical engineer)
Quote by ubigbobby
It is the same sound that you get if you only plug the cord into the guitar half way...almost like it's not fully grounded if that makes sense (I'm definitely not an electrical engineer)

That kinda sounds like a grounding problem. I would get it looked at.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by ubigbobby

Take it to a shop since this only happens to this guitar.
Quote by ubigbobby
Thanks!. If it is a grounding problem, how big of a fix is this usually?

If you know how to solder, it is a 5 minute fix usually.
Luckily I do know how to solder!

Thanks to everyone here to helped me talk through ideas, it worked!

I removed the jack and lo and behold the grounding wire had become detached from the jack. I reattached it and now she sings like an angel!

Thanks all!