I've been playing about 7-8 months now, and feel that I have graduated from my squire strat guitar. Problem is, I don't know where to start looking for a new one.

Price range is $6-700

Problems I have with my current guitar:
Pick-ups....horrible
Fretboard....too narrow. Doesn't need to really wide, but wider. A little shorter would be nice too. The F barre chord feels like a long stretch.
Tuners...self explanitory

Everything else seems to be really cheaply made. Sometimes the output on the squire comes loose and completely loses sound.

Any kind of advice would be appreciated. I'm going to go to guitar center over the weekend, and try a bunch out but any point in the right direction would help.
Quote by Sheets514
I've been playing about 7-8 months now, and feel that I have graduated from my squire strat guitar. Problem is, I don't know where to start looking for a new one.

Price range is $6-700

Pick-ups....horrible
Fretboard....too narrow. Doesn't need to really wide, but wider. A little shorter would be nice too. The F barre chord feels like a long stretch.

Everything else seems to be really cheaply made. Sometimes the output on the squire comes loose and completely loses sound.

Any kind of advice would be appreciated. I'm going to go to guitar center over the weekend, and try a bunch out but any point in the right direction would help.

What type of music do you like to play?
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Sheets514
I've been playing about 7-8 months now

Fretboard....too narrow.
Doesn't need to really wide, but wider. A little shorter would be nice too.
The F barre chord feels like a long stretch.

To me, this seems a little bit more like your playing ability rather than the neck itself. That shouldn't be THAT much of a stretch, even if the neck was bad. I'm not sure how much shorter of a scale necks get either.
I know everyone says "oh i play a little of everything"

So here's some sounds I want.
Van Halen - Self titled album.
AC/DC
White stripes
Jimmy page

but also blues
SRV
BB king
Joe Bonamassa

The only tones I don't really need are the heavy metal tons. I don't play that ever.

My current amp is a Fender Cyber Twin SE.
Quote by Sheets514

Price range is $6-700

Pick-ups....horrible

Wait what that is only a 2 fret stretch.
Quote by darkcheef
Wait what that is only a 2 fret stretch.

Ok it's not really a stretch like my fingers are hurting or anything, but I'm accidentally muting strings on the 1 fret where it's easier to play everywhere else on the guitar. I realize that's mostly an ability problem, but seems like anything a little shorter would help.
Quote by Sheets514
Ok it's not really a stretch like my fingers are hurting or anything, but I'm accidentally muting strings on the 1 fret where it's easier to play everywhere else on the guitar. I realize that's mostly an ability problem, but seems like anything a little shorter would help.

Maybe your hands aren't big enough, I recommend a Fender Duo Sonic (has a 22" or 23" scale length, or if you want a bigger one get the squier version with a 24" scale length)
Quote by Sheets514

Price range is $6-700

Pick-ups....horrible

You bought a squier, shouldn't have expected anything less. Yes, there are good squiers (Classic Vibe series) but generally they're not the best made. As you go up in price, you open up more doors for better quality.

As for your price range and sounds, you can look into a used American standard stratocaster or highway 1/MIM (MIJ too, better quality than the MIM). Possibly a used Gibson Les Paul standard, PRS SE, Ibanez.

Also, the F chord stretch isn't that big, it's in your technique.
So here's some sounds I want. Van Halen - Self titled album. AC/DC White stripes Jimmy page but also blues SRV BB king Joe Bonamassa

Sorry man but you can NOT* get all of those tones accurately out of one guitar in that price range. Jimmy page played a les paul. still does. you are *NOT* going to get a stevie tone out of a les paul ever. Stevie's got the classic strat tone. Same problem between SRV and ACDC though that can be pulled off. and Jack's tone from the white stripes ain't all in his guitar. he's got a good few effect pedals that go into it and alot of it' the amp.

Point is you're asking way too much for one guitar, there's no such thing as a guitar that can do everything well, besides if you're serious about fixing your tone you buy a new amp, not a new guitar.

Now, to fix your fretboard/scale length problems i suggest (and i can't believe i'll suggest one) an ibanez RG series guitar in your price range. i personally don't like their neck profiles but the wizard may suit you , it's a flat fret radius , widened out and most (if not all.. i don't know i'm *really* not an ibanez fan) of the rgs have a 24 fret neck in a similair scale which pushes all the frets a little bit closer together.

Buy one of those and put new pickups in it, then buy a new amp to suit your tone.