So a couple friends and I started a band and my current amp is a bit overkill for what we play. We play stuff along the lines of Red hot chili peppers, offspring, qotsa, billy talent. I'm looking for an amp that will do these type of sounds well. We will be giging in a few months and I prefer an amp head since I already have a cab. I'm willing to go used and my budget is around $1000 US.
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Plus with EMG 81/85(18v mod)
PRS Tremonti SE
Randall V2
Genz Benz G-Flex 212
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Last edited by static86 at Oct 7, 2009,
Egnater Rebel
Marshall JCM 800
maybe a Fender Band Master VM
Traynor YCS50H

All of these are good and in your price range.
Also consider the new Marshall MA series. John Frusciante used JCM 800s in the earlier days of RHCP, but now he uses a Marshall Major head (which are probably over your budget).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
bump for more suggestions. I've been interested in the Randall RM100, It looks like it can do a lot, but its a little out of my price range
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Plus with EMG 81/85(18v mod)
PRS Tremonti SE
Randall V2
Genz Benz G-Flex 212
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
ISP Decimator Prorack G
You could probably pick up a Randall RM100 on the used market under $1000--w/modules. It's more of a modern sounding heavy metal amp though, IMO. I wouldn't use it for Chili and Billy Talent's tone.

I'd say something like ENGL Screamer, Marshall Vintage Modern 2266, Peavey Classic 30, Orange Rocker 30, Laney GH50L, Blackstar Series One (I haven't played it, yet, though)
I would say marshall jcm800 would do fine.
or a peavey classic with a tubescreamer in front of it i really dont know you should try everything that you feel might be right.