I want to buy a new amp preferably a combo tube amp anywhere from 40-75 watts. I'm willing to spend around $1,800 give or take a few hundred, but really the cheaper the better. I'm really into Slayer, Opeth, Cannibal Corpse, Nevermore, Devildriver, Behemoth, Bloodbath, and Nile.

Things to consider

• High gain
  • Good chug when palm muting
  • Cleans don't matter
  • Needs to have crisp tight distorted sound
  • Don't care how many channels it has
  • Needs to work well with 7-String guitars
  • Don't care if it has reverb

I'm open to other suggestions. If you do suggest a head provide a good cab to match it and I'm not completely stuck on only 40-75 watt range but I do want to be able to be quiet when needed. I don't really have access to a load of amps to try out so what I buy is going to be based on your input and online reviews.
I'm not an expert on high-gain amps, but I think considering you budget and your needs a head + 2x12 will open up many more options for you, especially if you can find a nice closed-back cab.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
id say the Carvin V3 2x12 ~$900 new

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I'm open to heads+2x12s but i kind of want it to be somewhat portable but if the tone is that much more amazing then I'll be willing to toss out the combo idea and get a head and 2x12
in that wattage range, a single rec, most amps that are good for 7 strings are circa 120watts
the best thing to do though is get a head and a good 2x10 bass cab(or 2x12 but 2x10 is more common for bass cab i believe)
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by Limpchest
I'm open to heads+2x12s but i kind of want it to be somewhat portable but if the tone is that much more amazing then I'll be willing to toss out the combo idea and get a head and 2x12

A 2x12 combo and a head is MORE portable than a 2x12 combo. It takes up a bit more space, sure. But your back will be thanking you. 2x12 tube combo's can weigh anywhere between 50-100lbs. If you seperate the two main components you'll divide that up and make it easier for youself.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
A 2x12 combo and a head is MORE portable than a 2x12 combo. It takes up a bit more space, sure. But your back will be thanking you. 2x12 tube combo's can weigh anywhere between 50-100lbs. If you seperate the two main components you'll divide that up and make it easier for youself.

I workout 50-100 pounds isn't really anything I just live in a cramped house.
Quote by Limpchest

I used to work out on the bench press with 130 pounds when I was 14 years old, but lugging a 50-100 pound amp a couple hundred yards does suck, so a head and cab would be the better choice, plus it will sound a ton better than a combo.

But as for an amp for a 7 string, any high gain amp designed for a 6 string will work fine, like the Peavey 6505, or a Mesa Mark IV would work fine.
you could spend like 400 and get a vh140c. completely epic for 7 string
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Mesa Boogie IV
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Limpchest

Dude. I'll throw 225 up at the gym, and still refuse to get a 2X12 combo. Its like carrying an anchor on your leg. You ever try to carry a Fender Super Reverb up a flight of stiars?

Anyway, it it sits in the house and you dont need to move it, it could be anything you want it to be, a Pig-Nose, or a Marshall Full Stack. Cramped Apartment space and all, I'd look into a head and a 1X12 cab for the mini stack look. Like the Egnator, and the Blackheart HT-5.

Size is not always relative to Portability. My Stack has wheels, and the heads a two handed carry. Its two trips, but its not rested on my leg as I waddle across the parking lot.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204