I'm wanting to get a pickup that sounds like a burstbucker pro, but has 4 conductors so I can turn a tone pot into coil tap

help?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Last edited by kylepianoman at Oct 7, 2009,
you want a lindy fralin unbucker or humbucker. They sound better than the burstbucker, and both are available with 4 semi conductors.... i think.
Quote by airliner
you want a lindy fralin unbucker or humbucker. They sound better than the burstbucker, and both are available with 4 semi conductors.... i think.

alright thanks for the info I'll checkt hem

EDIT: got a couple questions... looking at the unbucker so they refer to it
I have to specify

"Output: 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9 or 9.5k

Lead Wire Type: Gibson style braided shield or 3 conductor for coil tapping"

what difference does the output make? I'm guessing I should have it equal to my neck PU but idk how to figure that out.

and why are there only 3 conductors instead of 4?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Last edited by kylepianoman at Oct 7, 2009,
I don't know man, now i'm confused too =/ for the coil tapping, your gonna have to ask him.

But as for pickup output matching, get a set that are .5kohms apart, the bridge pickup getting the higher output. A higher output will allow you to produce more distortion with a tube amp, and the opposite with lower output. Also as a general rule, when looking at pickup "x", pickup "x" with 8.5kohms output will have more bass and midrange along with less treble when compared to pickup "x" at 8.0kohms. Not always the same when comparing pickup "x" from lindy fralin with pickup "y" of seymour duncan, if you know what I mean. For classic rock, 10kohms is pretty high output, and 6kohms being very low. You gotta choose your pickups to what kind of amp you have (ie dark, bright, high gain...). Also, the unbuckers are brighter than the humbuckers and are also made to be coil tapped.
Any 'boutique' manufacturer should be able to make you something much higher quality than the Burstbucker, with whatever specs you want. Try CorduroyEW here, he makes very high quality pickups (also built my amp which is top-notch) - check out www.rockmonkeyguitars.com .

There are absolutely tons of 'boutique' makers who'll build a pickup to your exact specs (and probably cheaper than Gibson charge for their overpriced, mass-produced stuff), spend a bit of time on Google and email a few of them for advice/a quote
Quote by kyle62
Any 'boutique' manufacturer should be able to make you something much higher quality than the Burstbucker, with whatever specs you want. Try CorduroyEW here, he makes very high quality pickups (also built my amp which is top-notch) - check out www.rockmonkeyguitars.com .

There are absolutely tons of 'boutique' makers who'll build a pickup to your exact specs (and probably cheaper than Gibson charge for their overpriced, mass-produced stuff), spend a bit of time on Google and email a few of them for advice/a quote

I believe he also gives a discount to UG members, doesn't he?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I believe he also gives a discount to UG members, doesn't he?

I imagine so, yes. He certainly did me a great deal in a trade, he's a decent bloke. Having a look round the workshop made me realise how much work goes into making pickups - he even magnetises each magnet himself.
I mean don't quote me on that - I may be wrong.

But I'm pretty sure I recall someone recommending him in a thread once and said that he gives a discount (think it was 10%) to UG members.
I have had a few sets of boutique wound pickups that have been considerably higher quality than any Gibsons that I've had. I'm not a huge fan of BB pros, but if you want something in that same kind of mold (though they don't really sound that much alike...), look at the WCR Darkburst or the Wolfetone Marshallhead Mk. II. I've had good dealings with both Jim Wagner and Wolfe.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 8, 2009,