Page 1 of 2
the obvious answer can be ,""their preference"" .but i mean whats their point of sticking on to it??? i have seen even famous lead players like satriani , dimebag , malmsteen,slash ...using 22 fret for life !!heck !!!
i feel they could add some notes from 23 ,24 as well on their tracks.... no ???
please discuss what you feel guys !!
Last edited by COBHC912 at Oct 7, 2009,
Maybe they think it's not worth any more money to pay for two notes.

But yes, preference could be the answer.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
who knows, i dont really see the point in the extra 2 frets. there isnt really any NEED to go that high.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
Quote by guitarmaniac88

But yes, preference could be the answer.

We're talking about famous people. To whom price is not an issue.
I don't see how preference is a good answer. Then again, must of us don't play 7 string guitars out of preferences, so I guess... Hmm...
24 fret guitar + digitech whammy 2 octaves up = Super awesome
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

is there anything wrong with "only" 22 frets? it's just fine for everything. i think "stairway to heaven" was written on a guitar with 22 frets
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by guitarmaniac88

they can still play the exact same amount of notes unless they just added more onto the original 12 we have
Quote by scott58
Worst? I don't know. My buddies old MG 10 until we turned it into a cup holder and ash tray.
24 fret boards forces the neck pickup closer towards the bridge!

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
One really useful thing I find with 24 frets is you can play in D standard for those chunky lows without sacrificing the high notes, and you can always capo on the 2nd and its like a regualr 22 fret guitar in E standard
22 is the standard and there are plenty of people that use 24 fret guitars, look at kirk hammet for one. lots of metal bands use 24 fret baritones as well.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

THIS!

Pushing the neck pickup closer to the bridge reduces the warmth and sustain potential (IMHO).

I have a 24 fret Jackson right now, I'm looking to sell it for a 22 fret guitar.
I personally do not need the extra frets.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
well said subzero, and m not saying we cant get the notes with a 22 fret guitar , but it sucks really when we bend a 22 fret on a 22 fret guitar, coz its the last limit , and the string length is shorter .. sounds a bit wierd,with less sustain , but if we bend 22 fret on a 24 fret guitar, it makes more stable sound... its funny when i see a 22 fret user guitarist struggling so hard to reach 24 or 23 , hehehe,
if u need those notes ,get a 24 , or if u dont need ,dont bend on its last limit ...i knw bending gives different feelings,but 22th guitar really makes a funny tone when bened on 22... 24 fret also supports 22 providing rich tones ,,

but thnx for replies , actually this is what i really wana hear, why people are sticking on 22 fret gutiar,all positive replies about 22 fret guitar are welcomed ..
Last edited by COBHC912 at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by COBHC912
the obvious answer can be ,""their preference"" .but i mean whats their point of sticking on to it??? i have seen even famous lead players like satriani , dimebag , malmsteen,slash ...using 22 fret for life !!heck !!!
i feel they could add some notes from 23 ,24 as well on their tracks.... no ???
please discuss what you feel guys !!

it might be because certain guitars only go that far. like for slash, satch, and malmsteen their guitars that they play dont have more frets.

also, and the reason why i dont want more frets, is that it changes the tone. when you add more frets, you push the middle and neck pickups closer to the bridge. usually the neck pickup is right under the 24th fret harmonic (well, where that fret would be). so pushing it away changes the tone a bit. its probably not a lot but its something i dont want to change. plus, i rarely find the need to go any higher than 22 frets. also, with harmonics, you can make the notes sound an octave higher so another reason you dont need to go higher. plus they get hard to play up there.
Quote by COBHC912
well said subzero, and m not saying we cant get the notes with a 22 fret guitar , but it sucks really when we bend a 22 fret on a 22 fret guitar, coz its the last limit , and the string length is shorter .. sounds a bit wierd,with less sustain , but if we bend 22 fret on a 24 fret guitar, it makes more stable sound... its funny when i see a 22 fret user guitarist struggling so hard to reach 24 or 23 , hehehe,
if u need those notes ,get a 24 , or if u dont need ,dont bend on its last limit ...i knw bending gives different feelings,but 22th guitar really makes a funny tone when bened on 22... 24 fret also supports 22 providing rich tones ,,

but thnx for replies , actually this is what i really wana hear, why people are sticking on 22 fret gutiar,all positive replies about 22 fret guitar are welcomed ..

string length has nothing to do with the frets. as for the tone, im not sure if thats true. i havent played enough 24 fretters to notice. but i dont think the 22 bend sounds wierd.
The tone is so thin on the 23rd and 24th fret.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 8, 2009,
it could be for them the same reason i play 22 fret guitars...i really like the feel of an sg with a '61 style neck (low heel) and they're available in 22 frets. it's not particularly worth sacrificing comfort for 2 extra notes.

the point about d standard with the extra notes available was good, as it means less detuning if you want to go, for example, from playing metallica to playing death, but most people are happy with 22. but famous guitarists only have to play what they write, so if they mostly write stuff that fits onto a 22 fret guitar, they only need a 22 fret.

however i think my first point is the main reason.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by jthm_guitarist

This man, you know, speaks the truth. It alters the tone.

Oh and Satch has a JS24 in the making.
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
IMO 24 fret guitars are usually for those superhuman kind of guitarists like buckethead

but hes an exception coz his Les Paul is Oversized
OMG!!!!!!! Imagine a guitar with 26 frets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's up with all these idiots who only have 24 frets? Don't they realize the possibilities that two more frets would unleash?

I bet God's guitar has 26 frets so he can still play better than Buckethead! It's the only way he can keep control of the universe!!!!!!!!

Woah to us all if Lord Buckethead finds a way to fit 3 more frets on his guitar. His OMGZ Shredzorz will unravel teh universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!! 27 FRETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by Guitartist

What's up with all these idiots who only have 24 frets? Don't they realize the possibilities that two more frets would unleash?

I bet God's guitar has 26 frets so he can still play better than Buckethead! It's the only way he can keep control of the universe!!!!!!!!

Woah to us all if Lord Buckethead finds a way to fit 3 more frets on his guitar. His OMGZ Shredzorz will unravel teh universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/kiko_loureiro_se.jpg

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Guitartist
Oh Jesus!!!! The Apocalypse is upon us!!!!!!!

ze Metalocalypse?

****, if i had the money and means, i would have a 30 fret guitar made especially for me.
I find, depending on what the model is, upper fret access can be slightly easier on a 24...but, for that bootylicious tone it's gotta be 22 all the way.
26 fret bs

I'd link you to some Caparison models but frankly, I cannot be arsed .

Or that Uli John axe.
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by Guitartist

Quote by Guitartist

yeah...thos xiphos 27 frets look interesting. a little unneccesary? maybe...who cares its just preferance.
with a 22 fret guitar the neck pickup is right under the 24th fret harmonic node which kills that overtone. a 24 fret guitar doesn't have that problem.
I have a guitar with 40 frets. The only real advantage is that the neck is as thin at the 24th fret as it as at the 1st, which makes playing in high positions easier. Its also nice to have all those extra frets as reference points for where to play pinch harmonics.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!?!?!

On a side note, I don't use 24 fret guitars because the high notes hurt my ear.

EDIT:
Quote by isaac_bandits
I have a guitar with 40 frets. The only real advantage is that the neck is as thin at the 24th fret as it as at the 1st, which makes playing in high positions easier. Its also nice to have all those extra frets as reference points for where to play pinch harmonics.

Oh snap! Where is my god now?!
Also, pics please. I have a suspicion the guitar is a giant fretboard.
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Oct 10, 2009,
Slash doesn't use 24 cuz that won't get you laid and it's too hard for him. Yngwie doesn't need 24 because he invented zero matter frets that cannot me seen by humans. It's the same principle used in John Pettruccis schedule of practicing 39 hours a day by traveling back in time.
Quote by Brian Bucket
Slash doesn't use 24 cuz that won't get you laid and it's too hard for him. Yngwie doesn't need 24 because he invented zero matter frets that cannot me seen by humans. It's the same principle used in John Pettruccis schedule of practicing 39 hours a day by traveling back in time.

So, you're saying 24 frets is better? I agree, 24 ftw.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
its only two extra notes in the extreme high register that alot of great players almost never use. alot of great guitars are not made in twenty four fret models, is one whole step really worth playing a guitar you like less if your happy with your 22 fret guitar?
Quote by tehREALcaptain
its only two extra notes in the extreme high register that alot of great players almost never use. alot of great guitars are not made in twenty four fret models, is one whole step really worth playing a guitar you like less if your happy with your 22 fret guitar?

Yet there's also a very high number of great players that do use em .
Quote by Demonikk
I don't do things small

Except children.
If your in a garage band you,ll have 22frets and local girls; when your groupie material your @$24frets!! there i was, broke and depressed exept i had my AXE!! the streets were brutal that night , i, had no money , no bed , but i had my axe
because they don't need one past 22? and you can bend on 22 to get the 24th note.

****, famous guitarists in the 60's/70's like David Gilmour and Jimi Hendrix had 21 frets.

wait unserious thread is unserious nvm disregard that
Quote by Shoj_
because they don't need one past 22? and you can bend on 22 to get the 24th note.

****, famous guitarists in the 60's/70's like David Gilmour and Jimi Hendrix had 21 frets.

wait unserious thread is unserious nvm disregard that

yeahh one can bend to reach 23 or 24 as many great players do often , but if you want a random tapping on 23 or 24 , How u gonna do that with a 22 fret guitar ????
Quote by COBHC912
yeahh one can bend to reach 23 or 24 as many great players do often , but if you want a random tapping on 23 or 24 , How u gonna do that with a 22 fret guitar ????

And if you want random tapping on 25 or 26, how are you going to do that on a 24 fret guitar. You have to choose your highest fret somewhere.
Page 1 of 2