Page 1 of 2
Hey i was just curious how much, on average you guys play per day? And how much of that is actual practicing techniques and excersizes. My playing mostly consists of just playing along with songs. Also, how much time would you think it takes per day to become as good as idk...SoftShredding on Youtube, if you dont know who this is, check him out here
its varies from person to person how good you get and how fast, some people are better naturally at some techniques than others. but i myself try to play at least an hour a day, but i have work all day so it makes it a little difficult sometimes.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
I try to play as much as I can, around 2 or more hours a day. How good you get, as was stated, depends on who you are. I learn extremely fast and had no problem reaching high goals. However, I know a kid that has had 2 years of lessons (though I've never heard him play), and everyone who has heard both of us, has said I was better, meaning he possibly learns slower. Always remember, that despite what I just said, playing guitar is not a contest, but an enjoyable experience. Do what you can on your own, and then get inspiration from others, and never think you are the best.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I usually play about an hour or so, more if I don't have that much homework. Im not much into technique, I just turn my amp on high and jam
so what specific techniques do you guys do every day that help you play. the only thing i really do is go up and down some scales practicing alternate picking.
i play about 30 min to about an hour every other day or so. sometimes it will be covering songs or just a random mess of improvising and writing riffs. actual technique would be about an hour every week or so and focuses more on cleaning up some sweep picking licks or learning theory.

my average skill level would be that i find protest the hero songs relatively easy to cover and can cover about 90% of between the buried and me's album Colors.
6 years -- whenever I have time. university kills your hobbies.
Guitar: Ibanez RG321MH with EMG 85/60
Amp: Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
Musical styles: Progressive rock, thrash metal, post-hardcore.
I usually play actual songs, and practice improvising in different keys. I can play songs like Scarified and Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert near perfectly, yet I am not nearly as good as him. I learned within the last month or two, that speed is nothing without melody like Gilbert has.

Playing is half the challenge, creating is the rest, which is what I have started working on, and it's really fun, with surprisingly little work.

EDIT: About a year and a half if how long I've played.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Oct 7, 2009,
About 3 hours a day.

Lots of improvising over backings, working on technique like that holdsworth legato and some sweeping. I don't much learn songs because I feel it's sort of pointless. On occasion though, I'll learn a solo or a riff or something.

I've been playing for 2 years.
Quote by enselmis
About 3 hours a day.

Lots of improvising over backings, working on technique like that holdsworth legato and some sweeping. I don't much learn songs because I feel it's sort of pointless. On occasion though, I'll learn a solo or a riff or something.

I've been playing for 2 years.

what is the holdsworth legato technique? what is it supposed to help?
i hurt my wrist recently and haven't played much for about a month, but before that anywhere between 20 minutes and 14 hours, i'd guess.
2-6 hours a day for me, usually in the middle. I've been playing for 9 months or so and I'm desperate for a damn guitar instructor.
Quote by EscapeTDWPFate
what is the holdsworth legato technique? what is it supposed to help?

Holdsworth's legato is a little different to most people's as he says he doesn't like the sound of actual pull-offs so what he actually does is a hugely difficult series of all hammer-ons where, going down a run, he'll lift his finger and hammer on to the lower note at the same time.

Anyway, that "SoftShredding" guy you linked to isn't really that good to be honest, his sweeps are a little messy and his picking is so bad he barely even does it, there are a few sections of solos in his videos where he uses tapping or legato to do a run or passage that should be alternate picked (like In Your Face for example). Also... his fretting hand is generally messy - his motions are way too big, especially with his pinky.

Either way, don't worry or think about how much practice you need to put in to get somwhere, just keep practicing and know that you'll get there soon enough as long as you practice well and with good technique.

On the subject of me... I play for hours upon hours a day but don't practice anywhere near as much as I used to or still should.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I usually practice around two and a half hours a day or more depending on my mood. More then I probably should but I can't help it, lol. I spend the first bit playing through songs and warming up, then I get into whatever it is I need to work on. I try for an hour of focused practice on new techniques and then work on new songs or whatever (preferably songs that use said technique ). I don't watch TV anymore . . . lol.
Usually about 3 hours a day, sometimes up to 5. I finish work at 12.30pm so i have pretty much all day.
When I have band practice, I warm up at mine for a couple hours, then spend 4-5 hours with the band practicing.

During my warm ups, ill start with hammer on and pull offs through a scale, (a la mark tremonti), some scale runs, string skipping, finger picking, finger stretchs etc, then work my way onto playing solos from bands like alter bridge.

Depending on what i practice, ill play along to different songs:
Semi-quick palm muting / down picking : million miles away / the kids arent alright - offspring
Quick solos and scale runs: most things by alter bridge
Finger picking: metallica / alter bridge / some stuff i made up

and so on.
At the end of the day:
3-5 hours on a normal day
7 hours on a band practice day
Been away, am back
I have been playing for 6 months. I usually practice a MINIMUM of 2 hours a day. I am 36 years old and I take lessons too. I warm up with some power chords, open chords and some easy songs. Then I try to practice things like double stop bends, hammer on, pull offs, vibratos, and some familiar scales, then work out of my Troy Stetina books...I try to jam with others whenever possible....
My Gear:

B.C. Rich Warlock Bronze Series
Jackson Performer 6
Peavey Vypyr 30
Sanpera II
I practice a minimum of 3 hours a day, 1 hour is assured because I have an Independant study at school.

First I warm up with Scales/Arpeggios, and other ect things, then I run over a couple Songs/Riffs/Solo's, then I spend awhile Composing things.
been playing 2 years. Practice as much as I can, usually a minimum of 3 hours a day, and average of about 4-5, and a maximum of 6 (all I have time for). Then on saturday and sunday I literally practice for 10+ hours.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

I've become home schooled this year. So I have more time to play than others. I have lessons also, so I usually go over a lot of that stuff, do some exercises and techniques, and finish up with learning a song. Depending on what song, I'll either use a tab book (Eric Johnson, Satriani, the virtuosos basically), or I'll learn a song by ear (Hendrix, Clapton, Robert Johnson) to work on my ear training.
It varies week-to-week for me. If I'm really busy with schooling I only have time for an hour or less each day. Ideally I like to get in 2-3 hours of ''practice'' each day though.

TS, while you would indeed benefit from a more consistent and structured practice routine, don't take the fun and love out of it. This isn't a chore, or it shouldn't be.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Oct 8, 2009,
It varies from day to day, some days I wake up at 8am and play for 10 hours straight, stop for food and then play until I go to sleep.
Other days I might only play for like 40 minutes on and off. You know those days when everything you play sounds like **** to you and you begin to doubt you'll ever get anywhere with it.
I do about 5 hours most days though.

Yeah... I'm currently unemployed so I have a lot of time.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I try at least 30 mins a day

I try to play along to my favorite songs and do some scale exercices.

Been playing for a little more then a year.
Quote by Aleksi
It varies from day to day, some days I wake up at 8am and play for 10 hours straight, stop for food and then play until I go to sleep.
Other days I might only play for like 40 minutes on and off. You know those days when everything you play sounds like **** to you and you begin to doubt you'll ever get anywhere with it.
I do about 5 hours most days though.

Yeah... I'm currently unemployed so I have a lot of time.

i lol'd at your sig, so true... so true...
ok thanks for the replies guys. if you could all list some of the specific warm-ups and techniques you practice to get better that would be great. or if you have a link to a video or description of some good excersizes to do. i just dont really know what to do other than play songs to actually become better
I think I watched a video where Satriani said... take only 30 minutes or an hour per day for techniques... and the rest... try to play songs and write your own.. this will help develop ur skill as a guitarist... I think he said like that....

so... I will go with satriani's idea...
Quote by jemeput
I think I watched a video where Satriani said... take only 30 minutes or an hour per day for techniques... and the rest... try to play songs and write your own.. this will help develop ur skill as a guitarist... I think he said like that....

so... I will go with satriani's idea...

sounds like a good idea. did he mention or suggest any specific techniques that would be good to practice?
since I'm in high school, I try to squeeze in at least 1 to 3 hours a day, no enough!
I've been playing 17 years. I average 2.5-3 hrs/day (around 2 hrs on weeknights, 4-5 on weekends, and one night off per week to keep it fresh).
I do 4 - 6 Hours a day, doing whatever I feel like
Usually will end up doing 1-2 hours of technique and the rest just learning songs and playing riffs.
That's only been over the past week or so though. Trying to get as good as I can as fast as I can.
I figure out melodies from songs on the guitar to train my ear, practice downpicking to a metronome, do some legato/alternate picking exercises. I never learn songs because for some reason I can't time to the recording....I can do it on guitar pro 5 and also to a metronome I can time okay but to the real thing playing I can barely time some power chords
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
1h - 3h i'd say

I usually start with some basic strumming or scales to warm up my hands. When i practice new songs/techniques i always use guitar pro and start out slow and slowly increase the speed with 3bpm, i find it much easier to play along to GP then a metronome. When i play for fun i use to play along to my favorite albums, i play through the entire metallica - master of puppets & offspring - americana albums almost every day
^ Cool! do you play along to the record or just play without backing?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Just enough to stay at the same skill level and never improve.

mylifeisaverage.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by 08L1V10N
^ Cool! do you play along to the record or just play without backing?

I always play along to the records, actually i always play along to a song/guitarpro/backingtrack unless i warm up or play acoustic. Playing along to songs is really good since you notice misstakes easy.
Page 1 of 2