On the faceless's first album, Akeldama, the bass tone is absolutely amazing (espescially on Leica).

I was wondering how I might be able to shape a tone similar to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUBRVhP0i84 <--the song leica for those who have never heard
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Last edited by TheTortured at Oct 7, 2009,
Love that song, the ending is sick. Definitely watching this thread, Akeldama and Sons of Belial are some fun songs to play.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I don't actualy have sound at the moment but since no one is replying you could maybe try scooping the mids as a starting point ,(I'm pretty sure the faceless is metal ignore me if I'm wrong lol) a lot of metal bass players lower their mids but dont do it too far or you wont be heard.

But like I said I can't actualy hear the song so I might be way off.
Gear:

Fender Jaguar Bass
Ashdown MAG300H Head
Ashdown 410 T Deep Cab
Epiphone Thunderbird
Squier P/J Bass
SKAK20BA Practice Bass Amp
well, he has a really deep, sounding tone, maybe boost lows and mids, but keep the treble quite high too.

maybe try bass-7, mids at 6 and trebles at 5?

just as a suggestion
Well he uses a Warwick. Listen to the intro of the Ancient Covenant for a good solo tone.

The sound comes from single coil pickups.

Boost your bass, low mids, and maybe some treble.
Drop A I presume for his Warwick 6.
Crank your bass and mids and keep your Treble @ half way. Just tweak your tones until from there until you get it. Find a bass solo of his and learn to play it and mimic the sound you hear from him. Hah. Not a big fan of copying sounds.
[quote="'[EricS"]']Drop A I presume for his Warwick 6.
Crank your bass and mids and keep your Treble @ half way. Just tweak your tones until from there until you get it. Find a bass solo of his and learn to play it and mimic the sound you hear from him. Hah. Not a big fan of copying sounds.
Faceless plays in drop C, he has a similar tone to Ryan Martini of Mudvayne. Nice smooth sound.
[quote="'[EricS"]']Drop A I presume for his Warwick 6.
I'm not too sure if he switches tones for the jazz solo he does in Akeldama (the song), but it's not too hard to match that if the TS wants to check it out. Great solo, too, by the way. Also, from what I can tell, the tone on Planetary Duality is much different from Akeldama, especially when you compare his tone at the beginning of the Ancient Covenant.
thanks everybody. i've found a great similar tone from boosting my mids and low mids, cutting bass a tiny bit, and cutting the treble a little.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal