Hello pit. I am at college as a guitar student and i have not yet been accepted into the guitar program because i haven't auditioned yet.

I'm trying to get back into musical shape after a pretty 'rigorous-theoryish-chordal-practice' free summer, and i need to find a good place (online) to learn these chords.

So what's a good place to find a step by step guide on more advanced chords. I'm talking anything above like maj7's and mi7's and stuff. i wanna learn about the 9's and b9's and all that jazz (HAHAHA).

But seriously, help me pit! As soon as i get a suitable response, the thread will be caput and you can go back to flaming other threads that done wrong!

Thanks

-Doug
The Theory forum is quite helpful, I've used it before.

Try there.

PS. I'm not being a "wrong forum looolllool" dickbag, it's an actual suggestion.
Quote by Altitudinous
Hello pit. I am at college as a guitar student and i have not yet been accepted into the guitar program because i haven't auditioned yet.

I'm trying to get back into musical shape after a pretty 'rigorous-theoryish-chordal-practice' free summer, and i need to find a good place (online) to learn these chords.

So what's a good place to find a step by step guide on more advanced chords. I'm talking anything above like maj7's and mi7's and stuff. i wanna learn about the 9's and b9's and all that jazz (HAHAHA).

But seriously, help me pit! As soon as i get a suitable response, the thread will be caput and you can go back to flaming other threads that done wrong!

Thanks

-Doug

Type in 'music theory' in the search bar on the front page, and change the drop-down menu to 'Lessons'. Read the lesson entitled 'Beginners guide to Music Theory' Or something like that, it's rated 5 stars, and it's reeeaally good.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Not to be rude but did you do ANY research on this subject before you made the thread? I'm sure you could either download a chord generator or find a site with the diagrams. I've got a good chord generator, I'll try and find the site for you where you can get it, but do some research before you hit that create thread button.

WIZ?EDIT:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/
http://www.mymusictools.com/midi_tools_20/guitar_chords_library_2791.htm
http://www.zippybackflash.com/software-quickchord.php

And another free trial for something that is also helpful
http://www.mymusictools.com/utilities_28/chord_pickout_25950.htm
Last edited by wizards? at Oct 7, 2009,
Yeah there was an article on here that had common maj7 and min7 chord fingerings, took me a while to find it when I looked for it a while ago though so that might not help you much

But the guy who posted first gave you good advice, go to the Music Theory forum and ask for common jazz chord fingerings, inversions and extensions. Or just troll around the "What's that Chord" thread in the same forum, that will help a bit probably.
Quote by wizards?
Not to be rude but did you do ANY research on this subject before you made the thread? I'm sure you could either download a chord generator or find a site with the diagrams. I've got a good chord generator, I'll try and find the site for you where you can get it, but do some research before you hit that create thread button.

I did, and i could not find what i wanted. I don't need descriptions of the chords, i understand what makes a C9 chord a C9 chord, but i also want tabs and stuff. For all different types of chords.

Also, not to be rude, but how much of difference does it make in your day for one threadspot in the pit to be filled with validity and a real question? I know that there are forums dedicated to this stuff but the pit is populated with many idiots who will only flame me, but more importantly many learned musicians who can guide me in my quest.
I don't think your going to find anything for free on the internet that will be all that good. I would suggest getting a book or maybe a few guitar lessons. Hell you might be better off asking the Jazz teachers at your college what they expect you to know to get in and where you can find this information. I'm sure they will be glad to help you.

EDIT: Learn the CAGED scale system thats really popular among Jazz theory teachers and it will help you learn your chords and arpeggios. I'm not sure where you can find them online though, so just google it.
Last edited by Facebones at Oct 7, 2009,
Quote by Altitudinous
I did, and i could not find what i wanted. I don't need descriptions of the chords, i understand what makes a C9 chord a C9 chord, but i also want tabs and stuff. For all different types of chords.

Also, not to be rude, but how much of difference does it make in your day for one threadspot in the pit to be filled with validity and a real question? I know that there are forums dedicated to this stuff but the pit is populated with many idiots who will only flame me, but more importantly many learned musicians who can guide me in my quest.

I'm not saying your question wasn't valid, I'm just saying make sure to research something before you post because you probably could find it yourself without our help.

But in all seriousness, the theory forum is damn useful. Go there and they'll explain everything in better detail. I should probably hang out there a lot more to improve my theory work.
Jazz is nothing to do with using big chords to sound good. If you have been taking rigorous theory, you should know that for jazz you need a VERY good understanding of function, harmony, what chords go together and so much more. So, learn even more theory basically.
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
9ths are no more complicated than 7ths etc

Key of C major

C D E F G A B

no sharps or flats so that means all the chords also have no sharps or flats in them!

...C major chord is C miss one E miss one G

CEG

to get the 7th just miss one again so B

CEGB

to make the 9th

CEGD

to make an 11th

CEGF

You need to realise that this all depends on the notes in the key signature and its easy in C

Gmajor has an Fsharp in it so that changes your chords

G B D Fsharp etc

...all the chords that have an F in the key of G become fsharps...and the F chord itself becomes Fsharp.
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 7, 2009,
10 posts into a thread in The Pit, and nobody's being a dick to someone yet.

I'm... proud of you, guise?
Quote by Jesus_Dean
There's bound to be a drummer here that can help you, otherwise check YouTube for tutorial vids.
Quote by yoduh4077
MY TIME HAS COME.
Quote by Jesus_Dean
^^^See! Told ya so!
Dudes. Thanks for the help so far, but i need some kind of thing where i can ask it a chord, and it will tell me construction of the chord as well as a tab of it. Well, a tab or a notation or something signifying how to actually play it on the guitar.

Is that too good to be true??
I'm pretty sure you can do that in powertab(free) and I know you can do that in Guitar Pro(notfree).
Quote by Facebones
I don't think your going to find anything for free on the internet that will be all that good. I would suggest getting a book or maybe a few guitar lessons. Hell you might be better off asking the Jazz teachers at your college what they expect you to know to get in and where you can find this information. I'm sure they will be glad to help you.

EDIT: Learn the CAGED scale system thats really popular among Jazz theory teachers and it will help you learn your chords and arpeggios. I'm not sure where you can find them online though, so just google it.

Not being a dick, but don't learn any Caged or any type of scale system. That will restrict you into creating patterns. I used to have this bad with the pentatonic before theory so bad I hated soloing. Learn the notes on the fretboard and what notes are in the scales and you are set.

And for jazz, learn which notes go over which chords to get the certain type of feel. For example, the progression could be Cmaj7, Amin7, G7 and play a D over the C chord to get the 9th feel to it. Just experiment with it.
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

Quote by Altitudinous
Dudes. Thanks for the help so far, but i need some kind of thing where i can ask it a chord, and it will tell me construction of the chord as well as a tab of it. Well, a tab or a notation or something signifying how to actually play it on the guitar.

Is that too good to be true??

You mean like a chord diagram dude?!?

A) guitar pro has all of that or google

B) it is beneficial to try and construct the chords yourself because you will become more knowledgable of the fretboard, also know the notes. if you see their relationship on the fretboard and in your head things get a whole lot easier. learning tabs isnt doing you any good musically or theory wise.

caged system can give you all of this btw.
Last edited by lucertia. at Oct 7, 2009,
If you're auditioning for a music university/collage, I think you'll be expected to read NOTES, not tabs
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by lucertia.
9ths are no more complicated than 7ths etc

Key of C major

C D E F G A B

no sharps or flats so that means all the chords also have no sharps or flats in them!

...C major chord is C miss one E miss one G

CEG

to get the 7th just miss one again so B

CEGB

to make the 9th

CEGD

to make an 11th

CEGF

You need to realise that this all depends on the notes in the key signature and its easy in C

Gmajor has an Fsharp in it so that changes your chords

G B D Fsharp etc

...all the chords that have an F in the key of G become fsharps...and the F chord itself becomes Fsharp.

that is not a 9 chord or an 11 chord. they are both extensions of the 7th. lrn2theory
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Quote by lobster624
that is not a 9 chord or an 11 chord. they are both extensions of the 7th. lrn2theory

what you mean because i took out the 7ths? i thought when do an 11th for example you dont have to include the 7th
a C9 or C11 chord both need to have the 7th or else it's just a Cadd9 or Cadd11.

EDIT: and the 11 chord also needs the 9
Last edited by lobster624 at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by lobster624
a C9 or C11 chord both need to have the 7th or else it's just a Cadd9 or Cadd11.

EDIT: and the 11 chord also needs the 9

Hmmm im certain someone on the theory thread was going on about you not having to play the 7th
it may not be necessary in an 11 chord, i'm not sure, but you definitely need it in the 9 chord. my theory is a little rusty, but i'd like to think i'm still pretty good at it.
Okay okay. To clarify. I KNOW how to read music. I can read and play stuff pretty well. But as i go through these jazz charts i've forgotten/haven't yet learned some of the chords. The melody and chord constructions are within my knowledge, i just don't know the most effective way to phave them on the fretboard. like, the shapes of them and stuff. My knowledge of the major scale and harmony and stuff are fine. If you'd listen to the link in my sig you'd know that i'm no slouch.

I just want to find a good thing that offers fingerings and stuff for chords like in most jazz standards!

I can just sit there and hash em out in my brain but it's never FOR SURE (even though i'm usually right) and i just like the comfort of actually seeing them presented by a professional deal, ya know?
On guitar I've been told you don't have to play the 7 in an extended (9 or 13) chord because sometimes it's just not possible to extend it all the way out, but technically a C9 chord would have 1 3 5 b7 9 and a 13 chord would have 1 3 5 b7 9 11 13. I think the reason why a lot of jazz guitar players don't play 7's with their 13s is because b7s are a semitone away from M6s, so if you take out the 7 you can firstly play the chord much easier (less notes to incorporate), you don't get a m2 or m9 interval somewhere in the chord, and you can get nice close voicings.

Altitudinous, how do you think the jazz players figured out the chords? They messed around until they found the fingerings, even then most guys probably play with them to get the sound they want rather than the "traditional" way of playing it. I find half the fun of learning chord progressions is making up cool voicings for chords that make the song easier to play and sound cool.
For an 11th chord you don't need the 9th, and for any extended chord it is very common to take out the 5th to make it less muddy. You do need the 7th for a 9th chord however or as he said it would be Cadd9.

Quote by st.stephen
On guitar I've been told you don't have to play the 7 in an extended (9 or 13) chord because sometimes it's just not possible to extend it all the way out, but technically a C9 chord would have 1 3 5 b7 9 and a 13 chord would have 1 3 5 b7 9 11 13. I think the reason why a lot of jazz guitar players don't play 7's with their 13s is because b7s are a semitone away from M6s, so if you take out the 7 you can firstly play the chord much easier (less notes to incorporate), you don't get a m2 or m9 interval somewhere in the chord, and you can get nice close voicings.

Altitudinous, how do you think the jazz players figured out the chords? They messed around until they found the fingerings, even then most guys probably play with them to get the sound they want rather than the "traditional" way of playing it. I find half the fun of learning chord progressions is making up cool voicings for chords that make the song easier to play and sound cool.

Most jazz guitar players almost always include the 3rd and 7th plus the appropriate extensions when playing 7th chords. It's a common sound that is used all the time.
12 fret fury