Okay well I've been listening to alot of Joe Satriani lately and I'm inspired by his music and well I'm going to transform my whole style of playing. I can play in the style of Eric Johnson but after listening to Satch for a while I want to make the BIG transition.I'm working with a Kramer Striker but I'm looking to buy an Ibanez but I was told since the Striker has a Floyd Rose it's good enough but it's always good to play on the same maker as the player you want to play like.

I was told I need the pedals he uses and ALOT of practice...
A wikiHow article said I need to learn how to do the following techniques
Two-handed tapping
Sweep-picking
Volume swells
Harmonics
Extreme whammy bar effects.

and these pedals
The Dunlop Cry Baby
The Digitech Whammy
The Vox Satchurator
The Fulltone Ultimate Octave
The Electro-Harmonix POG (Polyphonic Octave Generator)

I'm using a Peavey Vyper and I have a Dunlop Crybaby.

Can UG give me insight on his style?
I live in Houston and it's hard to find someone who is familiar with his style!
learn all the modes and practice the pitch axis theory, also practice your legato
Last edited by DDOW at Oct 7, 2009,
You don't need to learn to sweep to play like Satch. Also, I would talk about how you need to develop your own style instead, but someone else will probably do it.
Quote by Erickm713
Okay well I've been listening to alot of Joe Satriani lately and I'm inspired by his music and well I'm going to transform my whole style of playing. I can play in the style of Eric Johnson but after listening to Satch for a while I want to make the BIG transition.I'm working with a Kramer Striker but I'm looking to buy an Ibanez but I was told since the Striker has a Floyd Rose it's good enough but it's always good to play on the same maker as the player you want to play like.

I was told I need the pedals he uses and ALOT of practice...
A wikiHow article said I need to learn how to do the following techniques
Two-handed tapping
Sweep-picking
Volume swells
Harmonics
Extreme whammy bar effects.

and these pedals
The Dunlop Cry Baby
The Digitech Whammy
The Vox Satchurator
The Fulltone Ultimate Octave
The Electro-Harmonix POG (Polyphonic Octave Generator)

I'm using a Peavey Vyper and I have a Dunlop Crybaby.

Can UG give me insight on his style?
I live in Houston and it's hard to find someone who is familiar with his style!

If you could really play in the style of Eric Johnson, you probably wouldn't be asking us.
Quote by timeconsumer09
If you could really play in the style of Eric Johnson, you probably wouldn't be asking us.

This is more or less exactly what I was going to say
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Own style > Copying someone else's style..

Just my thought, sorry.
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
If you really want to imitate Satch's style - listen to loads of his stuff, learn loads of his stuff, analyse loads of his stuff.

If you want to be able to play like Satch, then you better practice several hours a day for a good few years too.
Quote by timeconsumer09

lol @ Zaphod, I too was going to say this.

TS you're talking out of your arse.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I dunno whothe**** eric johnson is but i say one i was like you in the beginning like
OMGZONEONE11 me wanna play lieek kirk hamet must inventzors shoe with inbuilt wah pedal and get ugly mustasche.
Its just a phase.
Quote by Pinch Harmonic
I dunno whothe**** eric johnson is but i say one i was like you in the beginning like
OMGZONEONE11 me wanna play lieek kirk hamet must inventzors shoe with inbuilt wah pedal and get ugly mustasche.Its just a phase.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA epic win sir. You deserve the lolstack!

Quote by Pinch Harmonic
OMGZONEONE11 me wanna play lieek kirk hamet must inventzors shoe with inbuilt wah pedal and get ugly mustasche.
Its just a phase.

Although, you deserve a facepalmstack for this.

Quote by Will Swanson
Although, you deserve a facepalmstack for this.

Can I give you a lolstack for that then?

I do not want to have a signature anymore.
Quote by timeconsumer09

I too, was going to say this. I've been studying EJ heavily for a while, and he's almost all I listen too because I like how he phrases his pentatonics and some of his chords. I haven't even gotten a quarter of the way of being able to play in his style.

Quote by Pinch Harmonic
Its just a phase.

You sir, have just failed the guitar world. Eric is one of the greatest guitar players to come out, ever.
the best thing i can recommend is to learn some satch like licks from songs and try to incorparate them into your own playing giving your overall style some satch sophistication, also try and learn what makes that lick different to what you are already doing