Walked into my local shop today and seen this mesa boogie LS in there and I plugged in and wow the tone is still trapped in my head I drove the clean channel and it was spine tinglingly awesome but the price was just way too high I'd have to sell all my gear just to buy it anyone know an alternative amp under $700
My Gear
03' MIM SunBurst Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard With Lace Alumitones
Epiphone PeeWee Les Paul
Starcaster By Fender
B-52 AT-112
Amplitube: Metal, Jimi Hendrix, Fender
Boss DS-1

Fav Bands: RHCP, Led Zep, ACDC, BLS, Slipknot
Quote by a500n54
Walked into my local shop today and seen this mesa boogie LS in there and I plugged in and wow the tone is still trapped in my head I drove the clean channel and it was spine tinglingly awesome but the price was just way too high I'd have to sell all my gear just to buy it anyone know an alternative amp under $700

If it's so awesome, keep at it and don't settle for less. You'd get there. Plus if you love it so much you'd probably be frustrated at whatever amp you get later on or keep having to tell yourself "It's ok, my amp is alright" each time you see the Lonestar.

How much is it? How long do you have to save up to get it? Do whatever you can, but make sure to play some other amps too before buying it so you don't end up missing anything else that's awesome.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Quote by a500n54

There's a reason that Mesa amps cost so much. If you could get that kind of quality for under $700, then Mesa would go out of business.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by a500n54

the lonestar does not hold its value in the used market, if you really like it, save up a little longer and buy a used one. i've seen a 50 watt 1x12 normally selling for $2300 costing only $1100 used.

i have to say though, the lone star really is a truly awesome amp. it came very close to luring me away from my AC30. i was willing to spend the extra for it, but i went with the AC30 in the end.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by a500n54

If you want to stick with EL84s and Mesa Boogie, you might really like the Blue Angel. Some of the best clean tones I've ever heard, and they sound amazing overdriven.

They sell for around $700 quite often, though they're getting rarer now. Here's one I've just spotted on sale:

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1409161879.html
you good look for a used crate vfx50 or just a v50 since the fx suck and probably add valueless value to the price. i think at the time, mine ran new for $1300 but i got for about $700 because my store is awesome and gives me discounts on everything!

looking at your gear, either the mesa LS or this crate would be great. my friend had a LS but sold it on ebay earlier this year. he doesnt hang on to any gear for very long and it just wasnt the tone he was really looking for to begin with. id say go with the lonestar if you can, but if not, the crate v50 would do you well too.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
If you want to stick with EL84s and Mesa Boogie, you might really like the Blue Angel. Some of the best clean tones I've ever heard, and they sound amazing overdriven.

They sell for around $700 quite often, though they're getting rarer now. Here's one I've just spotted on sale:

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1409161879.html

that thing is in a completely different category than the LS though. the blue angel is a dual rectifier, meaning it has a solid state rectifier and is made for high gain, the LS is voiced like an overdriven fender. It was never made for high gain, and has both a tube rectifier and a SS rectifier.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
that thing is in a completely different category than the LS though. the blue angel is a dual rectifier, meaning it has a solid state rectifier and is made for high gain, the LS is voiced like an overdriven fender. It was never made for high gain, and has both a tube rectifier and a SS rectifier.

My question to you...have you ever played one?

Because you are 100% wrong.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

You, my friend, should go play one. You are wrong, once again.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
OMFG !!! !!!11!!!elvenen111!!! Because a Mesa Boogie is an ELECTRIC GUITAR....

Its definately not a peice of gear or accessory ....

Therefore my thread MUST not belong in the Gear and accessory forum ...

=.= *sigh*
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Try to find a used Randall RM50, get a clean/blackface/deleuxe module and send it to Anthony; he has a LoneClean mod he does that replicates the Lone Star.

More info on amp: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1188551

Anthony's Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=909142&content=music

MTS Forum Classifieds: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=12

Also check Ebay and CL. I've seen some pretty good deals on there.

Anthony is in the Czech Republic, but you can send the module to his P.O. Box in Calfiornia, and within 4-6 weeks you will have a LoneClean module. And the beauty of it all is you are not limited to that tone!!! There are many hi gain modules/mods you can get.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
+1 for the Blue Angel. It isn't exactly like the Lone Star but it produces some wonderful sounds. One of my favorite amps ever. And BTY it has very little gain on its own to whoever suggested it was high gain. A perfect platform to put a Tubescreamer in front of and just let it ooze tone. ^Those MTS modules sound very nice and very close to the Lone Star IMO, I'm impressed.