I'm going to set up my Jackson SLSMG Soloist for this ungodly low tuning. My band decided we're going to write some songs utilizing this. I know a lot of elitist type players look down on tuning this low, so whatever. My question is.. which strings would work best? I want as little rattle as possible while still being able to solo comfortably.

These are 2 that caught my eye. If there's better, then let me know!

Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" [56, 44, 32, 24p, 16, 12]
GHS "Heavyweight Boomers" [70, 52, 36, 18, 14, 11]

What do you guys think? I need to tell the guy who's setting me guitar up. I'd appreciate any help!
The EB's should be fine.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
either should be fine, if your looking to tune that low though id look into a baritone
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
You dont need 11-70s for Drop Bb.

Ive played Drop Bb with 10-52 and tension was still good.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
On what scale guitar though? I've done that tuning on a Les Paul before with 10-52's and it was pretty flabby, but on a 25.5" scale it might be doable. I also think a Baritone might be better choice if you've got the $$$. Or a 7 string.......Hellraiser C-7's with their 26.5" scale sound brutal.
Thirteens maybe? That chappie from Dimmu Borgir uses them for B I think.....
Never tried B on an electric, but my acoustic in in B acuse E hurts too much. Its got 12's, feels like a normal electric on E. Dont know the scale length, has 19 frets.
For drop Bb, those will both be good sets. I'd say get both, and see which one you like more.
For drop Bb I'd get a set of 13's.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I have those 12-56's in drop C right now and they are perfect, so I 'd say they might be a little sloppy for Drop Bb...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
My band just went to Drop B so I put EB gauge 12's on my guitar. They work perfect and aren't loose at all, but it did require a bit of time to reset the action and intonation
Last edited by 3rdActguitarist at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by GuitarDTO
On what scale guitar though? I've done that tuning on a Les Paul before with 10-52's and it was pretty flabby, but on a 25.5" scale it might be doable. I also think a Baritone might be better choice if you've got the $$$. Or a 7 string.......Hellraiser C-7's with their 26.5" scale sound brutal.

Heh, that was on my LTD which has a 25.5" scale.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
The GHS heavy boomers are really nice, i had a set on my Krammer Striker 600 in drop A tuning and the felt really nice, not to loose at all.
Quote by Mitochondria9
You dont need 11-70s for Drop Bb.

Ive played Drop Bb with 10-52 and tension was still good.

this. 10-52s (skinny top heavy bottom EB) are my favorite cause i can go from a kind of tense standard to a sort of flabby drop A. not quite IDEAL, but its great cause i change tunings alot. but if ur staying in a low tuning, i would suggest 11-56 (beefy slinkies).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC