So I'm curious about the whole 'crunk' thing.
And what classifys music to be in that category?

Yelling + that certain synth sound + lyrics that don't really mean anything?

Not trying to be really stereotypical, even though I am being that.. But I'm just curious.

I mean, I know anyone can do what they want with music.
But say, there isn't that hardcore yelling sound and the lyrics are about more serious things but uses a crunk-styled beat.. then what is it?
Is it still crunk?

But then, don't some of the beats not have that certain synth sound to them..?
Like, just what classifys an artist as 'crunk' exactly?
Andhat are some other crunk artists besides Lil' Jon?

I don't know. I'm sort of new to actually getting into the whole rap field so I'd like to know about the different types of it and stuff.. so fill me in. =]
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Oct 8, 2009,
it's mostly a modern version of rap and hip hop from southern california. not sure how to describe select differences from others, but to me there's just an obvious difference in my head. Me being from northern california, I can't stand crunk haha.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
personally theres better rap to get into. Get into some udnerground jazzy hip hop.. or some old school hiphop..

personally crunk is good for clubbin and stuff.. Just everything you hear basically is "crunk" notice how all artists similar sound teh same?

last.fm lil john or "crunk" genre.
Quote by romencer17
it's mostly a modern version of rap and hip hop from southern california. not sure how to describe select differences from others, but to me there's just an obvious difference in my head. Me being from northern california, I can't stand crunk haha.

crunk is from the south bud.
aah is it? I guess the fact that I live in norcal crunk automatically relates to socal for me.

Sumdeus
Quote by Carrionshine
personally theres better rap to get into. Get into some udnerground jazzy hip hop.. or some old school hiphop..

personally crunk is good for clubbin and stuff.. Just everything you hear basically is "crunk" notice how all artists similar sound teh same?

last.fm lil john or "crunk" genre.

Yeahh, I like the whole old school hip hop thing.
I'm just sort of looking into the whole genre of hip-hop with a wider perspective. I don't really care for the crunk that I've heard, I'm just wondering though because I'm doing a song and it's a sort of lil' jon style beat so I was curious at what makes a song crunk.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Quote by Balmazer

screamo crunk..? lol

what I was saying was.. the three elements that I tend to see in that sort of music is.. that nord lead synth sound.. the yelling, hardish vocals, and the lyrics always being just party-style rather than meaning something.

So I'm asking like.. what if one thing is changed..? Would it still be crunk or what?
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Oct 8, 2009,
i think if the only similarity you have is the beat it isn't crunk...

Sumdeus