Does anyone have any general hints on Harmonies?

I understand the concepts and everything behind it but I just cant get it to happen.
I can sing a melody and when I try to harmonize I usually end up singing an octave lower :/

I see a lot of singers that listen to a song once and then can improv a harmony and it looks easy but doing it just baffles me

thanks
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Here's what I did.
Open up guitar pro files that have the vocals in them. Type out a proper, 3rd, 5th (or even non-parallel if you want) harmony. Keep singing that harmony with the file until you have it down. Then try to sing it to the actual song. Eventually you should be able to figure them out on your own. Also, when singing along to music I make it a point to only sing the harmonies anytime they exist.
Identify the melody of the main vocal line. Now try and find the same melody, but a 3rd or 5th up. Try to replicate with your voice.

Also try harmonising higher than the melody line, it will be easier to hear.

If that is too hard, start simpler, like by singing the words with a very simple melody which stays on the root note of the chord underneath, changing with each chord.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Identify the melody of the main vocal line. Now try and find the same melody, but a 3rd or 5th up. Try to replicate with your voice.

Also try harmonising higher than the melody line, it will be easier to hear.

If that is too hard, start simpler, like by singing the words with a very simple melody which stays on the root note of the chord underneath, changing with each chord.

I believe he meant that he can't find those harmonies by ear. He understands the theory, but needs to train himself to hear it on his own.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I believe he meant that he can't find those harmonies by ear. He understands the theory, but needs to train himself to hear it on his own.

The theory still applies, just a deeper knowledge of scales is required to "hear" a 3rd or 5th. If you can't find the 3rd, start at the root note, sing up two notes.

If you can find the harmony line on another instrument first, it will help a lot, but this is not a necessity.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I found my Harmony cure haha

I have been listening to Secondhand Serenade's first album and as corny as it is every song has really over done harmonies but it is helping my nail them and hear them
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom