Page 1 of 4
Why is this such a problem?

For those who havent seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k739n2VEsbA

White people pretending to be black people, why is it so offensive?

The group is abit insensitive since micheal jackson only died a few months ago, but this group was been the jackson five, and obviously some people are just a lil too sensitive nowadays, calling everything racism.

A group of white people impersonating a group of african-american singers is nothing bad, if a african-american individual impersonated a white person, people say nothing.

Look at the movie White Chicks, terrible movie but they portrayed white woman as dumb and clueless, what about Dave Chappelle's dvd For What Its Worth, he makes several impersonations of white people, and whos complaining then?

Why is the world so sensitive these days? I myself am not a racist, the only problem i have with this skit is that Micheal Jackson only recently passed away which makes it a little insensitive. I am Australian and i dont want to be viewed as a racist country when we are not, for a group of 6 Aussies to convince anyone that we are a racist country is just wrong and extremely inaccurate. Racism is apart of the world, there are STEREOTYPES out there and its just a fact of the human condition.

What are your opinions?

Or who just thinks that people should get over it and move on?
MY GEAR

ESP LTD EX-50
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Line 6 Tonecore Uber Metal
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Leem Footswitch
Maybe if so many black people weren't clowns we wouldn't have anything to make fun of.

/racist

Disclaimer: I do not believe this at all.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I'm sick of all this political correctness. The singer (who impersonated MJ) was infact Indian and painted himself white, is that racism towards caucasians?
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
The first judge was completely right. There are double standards, unfortunately that is the world we live in.
Quote by 1201ZJ
FoolishFool, you sir, are a genius. A ****ing genius, I tell you.
lol **** black people jews had it way worse. they need to stop complaining.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

I thought it was funny. Plus twenty years ago it won. If it was funny then why isn't it now? Just because Michael's dead? Respecting the dead is a prime belief of mine, but still, he was weird. He was a lyrical genius, and no amount of jokes can take that away. But he was weird, and there's no harm in joking about it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
But. . . MJ's dead, so I love him!

He had such a hard, cruel life

People taking advantage of their 'minority' status is much worse than anything they accuse people of these days IMO
The playground of the world
Quote by Eddie4President

People taking advantage of their 'minority' status is much worse than anything they accuse people of these days IMO

O RLY?
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
To explain why this is offensive.
In the old days of Hollywood (1920's & 30's) African Americans were not alowed to act in movies.
So white actors would black out their faces and pretend to be black.
But the blacked out actors never played legitiment roles and were degradingly portrayed as clowns.
This is clearly racist.

Eddie Murphies version was also controversial at the time!
I love white guitars!
tbh, I think it's the fact that they painted themselves the colours BLACK and WHITE. Perhaps if it was brown and peach, it would make a touch more sense.

And in White Chicks, they in no way portrayed white people as "stupid", they merely dressed up and acted as the "stupid" girls, who just happened to be white.

So yeah.
Quote by blackthought
If you really don't get why blackface is racist, then you're one dumb motherfucker.

Honestly, I don't really care about race, so that's probably why I don't care about why things are racist.
Quote by Evil_Oz

Why is the world so sensitive these days? I myself am not a racist, the only problem i have with this skit is that Micheal Jackson only recently passed away which makes it a little insensitive. I am Australian and i dont want to be viewed as a racist country when we are not, for a group of 6 Aussies to convince anyone that we are a racist country is just wrong and extremely inaccurate. Racism is apart of the world, there are STEREOTYPES out there and its just a fact of the human condition.

What are your opinions?

Or who just thinks that people should get over it and move on?

And the racist attacks on Indians in Australia is just a media hoax right?
Quote by thecure
tbh, I think it's the fact that they painted themselves the colours BLACK and WHITE. Perhaps if it was brown and peach, it would make a touch more sense.

And in White Chicks, they in no way portrayed white people as "stupid", they merely dressed up and acted as the "stupid" girls, who just happened to be white.

So yeah.

(I'm assuming this is Hey Hey its Saturday)

Simple fact, back in the day when it was the most popular Australian show, they (the group accused) were all black. Hence MJ. Black than, white now.. You see? Its only the second episode of the reunion show, i think the last to.

What people don't realise is, that's what Australian humour is! We find that kind of stuff funny, than Connick Jr starts saying if he knew it was gunna happen he wouldn't of done it. Dude **** off your a douche.

I thought it was funny, and i'm willing to bet 80% of viewers thought it was to. I just think its a load of ****. But hey i that's my opinion and i'm sticking with it.

Quote by Heminator89
And the racist attacks on Indians in Australia is just a media hoax right?

Oh ok, i didn't realise 22 million Australians assaulted Indians. Dude wake up, not everyone is racist.
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
I thought it was funny. Plus twenty years ago it won. If it was funny then why isn't it now? Just because Michael's dead? Respecting the dead is a prime belief of mine, but still, he was weird. He was a lyrical genius, and no amount of jokes can take that away. But he was weird, and there's no harm in joking about it.

I think everyone is forgetting this.
20 years ago we thought it was a laugh, but now if there's one person who takes offence to something rather small, it starts to create a whole race war.

Quote by ShallowEndings
What people don't realise is, that's what Australian humour is! We find that kind of stuff funny, than Connick Jr starts saying if he knew it was gunna happen he wouldn't of done it. Dude **** off your a douche.

Too damn right.
Australians have an entirely different humour to most places in the world.
Pushing the boundaries is what we do and it's what we love.

Also, I agtree with the Connick Jr thing.
What's the bet that the hosts of The Chaser's War On Everything would have been publicly crucified if he had seen the 'Make A Realistic Wish' sketch?
I mean, Australians found that in poor taste, so imagine what he would have thought.

I'll agree there IS a limit, but this is nowhere near crossing it.
Last edited by tyler_j at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by ShallowEndings
(I'm assuming this is Hey Hey its Saturday)

Simple fact, back in the day when it was the most popular Australian show, they (the group accused) were all black. Hence MJ. Black than, white now.. You see? Its only the second episode of the reunion show, i think the last to.

I thought it was funny, and i'm willing to bet 80% of viewers thought it was to. I just think its a load of ****. But hey i that's my opinion and i'm sticking with it.

Oh ok, i didn't realise 22 million Australians assaulted Indians. Dude wake up, not everyone is racist.

Hey man,
I didn't say anything about Michael Jackson being black then white :l I'm talking about the actual colours that they painted themselves, not the actual act.

And yes, it was quite humorous, I was just stating why people may have found it offensive. Gosh.
It's because of the history of that type of performance. It was in bad taste and should have been thought through better, but it certainly wasn't malicious or motivated by race, as those types of performances have historically been.
To plenty of Australians it wouldn't be a big deal because the Jackson 5 ARE black, so the group (Lebanese, Indian, Caucasian etc) coloured themselves in to look similar. The actual performance wasn't degrading or mean spirited, so they figured the race thing was just a part of dressing up.
I certainly understand why people were offended (especially Americans) but already it has been used as a "see, look how racist they all are" kind of point-scorer, which is ridiculous.
BTW, the Indian student thing is overstated. It only takes one drunk bogan to beat up a person for being Indian, but that means nothing about the country as a whole

EDIT: If American's got so upset at that, imagine if they saw Rodney Rude or Kevin Bloody Wilson. I can't say I'm a fan of either, but they are MUCH more racist in their comedy, but I don't know how much the individuals are themselves.
Last edited by Adam_G at Oct 8, 2009,
the indians arnt innocent, most were but they went around trying to start ****,
Quote by thecure
Hey man,
I didn't say anything about Michael Jackson being black then white :l I'm talking about the actual colours that they painted themselves, not the actual act.

And yes, it was quite humorous, I was just stating why people may have found it offensive. Gosh.

I wasn't cracking the ****s

Ar you talking about the Jackson Five, or The Jackson Jive?

If the former, the group done it in the late 80's, and got away with it. Now that his dead its just a no no? Seriously, the news raped his dead ass and did we have a say in it? I just can't see this as hurting someones feelings. But hey, if his butthurt he can stay off our shows.

And what i'm saying is, unlike Americans, or wherever your from.. We push our humour to the edges, way past you guys, obviously someone couldn't take the joke and took offence. I didn't find him suitable for the show anyway.

Quote by tyler_j
Also, I agree with the Connick Jr thing.
What's the bet that the hosts of The Chaser's War On Everything would have been publicly crucified if he had seen the 'Make A Realistic Wish' sketch?
I mean, Australians found that in poor taste, so imagine what he would have thought.

I'll agree there IS a limit, but this is nowhere near crossing it..

Did they tear up a new ass with that or what!

But yeah, this isn't pushing the boundaries
Didn't Harry Connick Jr. paint himself to play a black dude in Tropic Thunder?

I smell hypocrisy.
australians don't understand the offense because they don't have the same cultural history we do. we're not prudes. we enjoy racist/sexist/whatever comedy just as much as the next person. i mean, that's what makes comedy comedy. you have to push the comfort zone to make jokes.

in any event, blackface has a lot of history in the US and is an incredibly touchy subject. remember kevin bacon getting in huge trouble for it a few years back?
#DTWD
Quote by Yahto Sun
Didn't Harry Connick Jr. paint himself to play a black dude in Tropic Thunder?

I smell hypocrisy.

lmao!

and i smell stupid. harry connick, jr. is a piano player. you're thinking of robert downey, jr.

edit:
Quote by ShallowEndings
^
Wow, so true!

That movie sucked though.

y'all are making me facepalm so hard.
#DTWD
To Shallowendings

I'm from Australia too and yes, our humor is extremely different.

I was just stating how I thought others could be offended by it, and that is the ways in which their faces were actually painted- nothing to do with Michael Jackson, Dead Michael Jackson or the Jackson Five.
The malicious intent obviously wasn't there. Harry needs to get in on Aussie humour if he wants to go on a show that is supposed to portray just that.

As a side note, what a disaster this show is. Seriously unfunny, all of it. So is the media attention... bah humbug.
Quote by primusfan
lmao!

and i smell stupid. harry connick, jr. is a piano player. you're thinking of robert downey, jr.

edit:

Troll'd.

I just heard someone at my school make that comment today.
Quote by Le_Bunny
The malicious intent obviously wasn't there.

intent doesn't matter.

i could go out and yell "nigger" at the top of my lungs. doesn't matter what my intent is.
#DTWD
Quote by Yahto Sun
Troll'd.

I just heard someone at my school make that comment today.

right.
#DTWD
Quote by thecure
To Shallowendings

I'm from Australia too

You are?

Quote by Le_Bunny

As a side note, what a disaster this show is. Seriously unfunny, all of it. So is the media attention... bah humbug.

People with a sense of humor like the show.

Quote by primusfan

Shh you!

Sounded familiar though
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by primusfan
intent doesn't matter.

i could go out and yell "nigger" at the top of my lungs. doesn't matter what my intent is.

We're from different worlds, brother. Where I am, people would probably be amused by that - at least they wouldn't be offended.

Quote by ShallowEndings
People with a sense of humor like the show.

So sorry to offend you with my differing opinion, somebody call the humour police on me.
Quote by primusfan
right.

Troof, dawg.

The only part I found truly funny was the Gilbert and Marmalade Disasterchef.

HOW AWESOME WAS THAT BIKE?

BTW, the Indian student thing is overstated. It only takes one drunk bogan to beat up a person for being Indian, but that means nothing about the country as a whole

QUOTE]

Untrue. An isolated incident does not indicate racism but several such attempts do. What do you say to last month's incident when an Indian family were beaten up in a bar for being Indian by several ten's of people? The crowd comprised of mostly teenager or someone in their 20s. They screamed racial slurs and what not before kicking their asses? Isn't that racist?

I know it's wrong to call 22 million people racist for the deeds of some hundred people but a handful of negativity can alone create a very bad image. Indians are actually afraid to go to Australia for higher studies now.
Quote by speakers
I'm sick of all this political correctness. The singer (who impersonated MJ) was infact Indian and painted himself white, is that racism towards caucasians?

no. because there's not a long history of "whiteface" in which second-class citizens were routinely demeaned as a source of entertainment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LMrdcs4ucc

oh ... and then there's this of course ...

#DTWD
Page 1 of 4