Does anyone in the pit know g-code?

I have a test on CNC machining tomorrow and I have the general idea but I don't really know how to write g-code and m-code because I just use solidworks to do it for me

so can anyone tell me any particular formats that are used?

I know some to cancel all presets and home return. I won't be tested on macro programs or canned cycles.

Anything good to remember going into this test?

Thanks

EDIT: inb4 "did anyone else read the title as g-spot?"
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Last edited by EnyoAdonai at Oct 8, 2009,
Quote by jetfuel495
Keep it real, G. That's the only rule.

that quote in your sig is awesome.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by jetfuel495
Why thank you, good sir. I'm bumping your thread in hopes that someone who knows what you're talking about (because I certainly don't) will be able to
help you.

Why thank you too

I'm hoping there'll be someone, I get the feeling there're quite a few post-grads here who don't post until they find a thread about something other than relationships.

Otherwise I'm picking this thread will be jumped and turned into a thread about womens' (or maybe even mens'... ) underwear.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
1: G71 "metric system input"
2: G90 "absolute diamension programming"
3: G54 "stored zero datum"
4: G98 "graphic window frame" x -20 y -20 z 20 i 190 j 190 k -60
5: G99 "GUI settings" z 0 y 0 z 0 i 150 j 150 k -20
6: T1 M6 S1000 F500 "tool change/spindle speed/feed speed"
7: G0 x -20 y 20 z 5 "rapid traverse"
8: G1 x-20 y 20 z -20 "go to this point"

^thats how i was taught to set one up before you do anything.

then...

9: map out cutting path using various G codes (g1=straight line, g2=clockwise circle, g3=counter-clockwise circle etc.

you also need to manually use the edge finder to get x 0 y 0 and z 0

this is probably missing stuff because i havent used one in over a year.
Quote by MapOfYourHead
1: G71 "metric system input"
2: G90 "absolute diamension programming"
3: G54 "stored zero datum"
4: G98 "graphic window frame" x -20 y -20 z 20 i 190 j 190 k -60
5: G99 "GUI settings" z 0 y 0 z 0 i 150 j 150 k -20
6: T1 M6 S1000 F500 "tool change/spindle speed/feed speed"
7: G0 x -20 y 20 z 5 "rapid traverse"
8: G1 x-20 y 20 z -20 "go to this point"

^thats how i was taught to set one up before you do anything.

then...

9: map out cutting path using various G codes (g1=straight line, g2=clockwise circle, g3=counter-clockwise circle etc.

you also need to manually use the edge finder to get x 0 y 0 and z 0

this is probably missing stuff because i havent used one in over a year.

That sounds good, thanks a lot

We are given g-code for the test so devising the algorithms shouldn't be too hard, but I am concerned about syntax

Where you said T_ M06, I've been taught M06 T_. Does it matter which order you put things?

If I were to say G03 X0 Y0 R5 X10 Y0 R5 would it matter which way I put X0 and Y0 etc? and can G03 go after the parameters? and... would that code even work??

Thanks
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by EnyoAdonai

1:Where you said T_ M06, I've been taught M06 T_. Does it matter which order you put things?

2:If I were to say G03 X0 Y0 R5 X10 Y0 R5 would it matter which way I put X0 and Y0 etc? and can G03 go after the parameters? and... would that code even work??

1: on the machines i used you could input in any order, but best stick to what you were taught.

2: you usually put them in the order i have listed x,y,z,... etc, its just convention.

G03 cant go after the parameter, the G is telling the machine what type of work your about to do and the parameters are the variables of how the machine will do it.

i dont think that will work, why have you got (X,Y and Z) then (X,Y and Z) again?
unless the machine can do as many runs on a single line of code as it wants, without needing a new line for every movement. but that would just confuse somebody reading it (somebody who didnt write it).
Quote by MapOfYourHead
1: on the machines i used you could input in any order, but best stick to what you were taught.

2: you usually put them in the order i have listed x,y,z,... etc, its just convention.

G03 cant go after the parameter, the G is telling the machine what type of work your about to do and the parameters are the variables of how the machine will do it.

i dont think that will work, why have you got (X,Y and Z) then (X,Y and Z) again?
unless the machine can do as many runs on a single line of code as it wants, without needing a new line for every movement. but that would just confuse somebody reading it (somebody who didnt write it).

Yeah I'm not sure on the syntax of G03, I remember having to specify the start point and end point of the arc and then the radius, but I wasn't exactly sure.

is it G03 X_ Y_ X_ Y_ R_ ?

Thanks, all this is a big help to me.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
When coding circular moves, you must specify where the machine must go and where the center of the arc is in either of two ways: By specifying the center of the arc with I and J words, or giving the radius as an R word.

I is the incremental distance from the X starting point to the X coordinate of the center of the arc. J is the incremental distance from the Y starting point to the Y coordinate of the center of the arc.

Examples:
G1 X0.0 Y1.0 F20.0 ----go to X1.0, Y0.0 at a feed rate of 20 inches/minute
G2 X1.0 Y0.0 I0.0 J-1.0 ----go in an arc from X0.0, Y1.0 to X1.0 Y0.0, with the center of the arc at X0.0, Y0.0
G1 X0.0 Y1.0 F20.0 ----go to X1.0, Y0.0 at a feed rate of 20 inches/minute
G2 X1.0 Y0.0 R1.0 ----go in an arc from X0.0, Y1.0 to X1.0 Y0.0, with a radius of R=1.0

quoted from a website i just found a second ago. honestly, i wasnt too sure about it.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/gcode/g-code.html
Quote by MapOfYourHead
quoted from a website i just found a second ago. honestly, i wasnt too sure about it.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/gcode/g-code.html

Hmm... I haven't seen that notation before. Maybe I'm getting it all wrong. I feel like I'm royally fucked actually... Never been one to program on paper, it's much worse with C though Here's hoping we get an easy piece to machine tomorrow...

THanks for your help
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible